Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:40 AM

591 posts, read 1,415,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Yes they can look very nice. I think Tiger Sharks look nice too but wouldn't think of putting one in my swimming pool. Hybrids are more dangerous than their wild cousins. You have a "pet" that has some physical traits we associate with lovely domesticated dogs mixed with wild tendencies that could get your neighbor child's (or your own) face or neck ripped wide open. Please don't promote or encourage hybrid breeding. Leave the coyote and wolf gene pools alone!
I said they were pretty I didn't say I wanted one. Sometimes I think people just look for post so they can give a good lecture. I also never said I promoted breeding of them. Heck I didn't even know til yesterday it was possible for a coyote to mate with a dog. I think you should actually read my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Yes they can look very nice. I think Tiger Sharks look nice too but wouldn't think of putting one in my swimming pool. Hybrids are more dangerous than their wild cousins. You have a "pet" that has some physical traits we associate with lovely domesticated dogs mixed with wild tendencies that could get your neighbor child's (or your own) face or neck ripped wide open. Please don't promote or encourage hybrid breeding. Leave the coyote and wolf gene pools alone!
I couldn't agree more as to hybryding wild and domestic animals. It's a dangerous practice under controlled circumstances. Bear in mind that yote/dog mixing is NOT a controlled thing. It is/was an entirely hapenstace kinda thing. There are no kennels ANYWHERE that breed coydogs. Wolf dogs but not coys. This breed is completly the result of human ignorance of animal behavior and has created a dangerous predator. The one I raised so long ago I was SURE to neuter as soon as he was old enough. I would not have wanted to see the result of him breeding with someones Queensland or other aggresive breed type of working dog. . He was bad enough. I considered him to be one of the best general purpose dogs I've ever had, but he wasSTRICTLY a mans dog. I had to be very careful with him around strangers. But thats really no different than most of the regular ranch dogs herebouts. Lol they aren't what you would call "socially graceful" themselves. If my coydog had been wild his whole life and he and I had ended up on the opposite side of things I would not have hesitated in the least to have shot him dead. Coydogs are nasty customers.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:17 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterLady View Post
I'm sorry you had to witness such cruelty. Did you call the local authorities or Animal Control? That would be the first step in getting releif to those poor animals, and having the owners punished. In this country, we do have laws providing punishment for those guilty of animal abuse.
Keep in mind that the feral dog issue has other animals needing rights. What about the absolutely defenseless day-old goat kid? Or the sweet calf, looking at the world for the first time with those big, dewy brown eyes? Or the curious foal, bucking and playing in the pasture? What about their right to be protected? Dogs and wild canines do not kill humanely. I have seen coyotes and coydogs grab squirrels and swallow them whole, still wriggling. Other animals suffer horribly as they are attacked and eaten while still aware.
I know, but it is another thing for an animal to be held captive by man and not getting fed or watered and just plain old ignored and abused. Man is supposed to care for their pets, if they cannot do not have one. Wildlife is survival of the fitist. I do not watch any of that either on the Discovery Channel.....lions eating zebra babies, etc. It is a horrible world for dogs and cats today.
I am calling Animal Control tomorrow. That area back there with that dilapidated house, junk, rusted cars and garbage all over reminds me of the movie Deliverance....while pulling out onto the main road two guys in an old rusted truck with no teeth were pulling into that area. They looked pretty dangerous and crazy to me! Animal control might even not want to go into that area.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:59 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I know, but it is another thing for an animal to be held captive by man and not getting fed or watered and just plain old ignored and abused. Man is supposed to care for their pets, if they cannot do not have one. Wildlife is survival of the fitist. I do not watch any of that either on the Discovery Channel.....lions eating zebra babies, etc. It is a horrible world for dogs and cats today.
I am calling Animal Control tomorrow. That area back there with that dilapidated house, junk, rusted cars and garbage all over reminds me of the movie Deliverance....while pulling out onto the main road two guys in an old rusted truck with no teeth were pulling into that area. They looked pretty dangerous and crazy to me! Animal control might even not want to go into that area.
Kudos for calling Animal Control! From the description you have given of the property, I'm sure Code Enforcement would like to pay them a visit, also.
Be careful...those guys you described could be tweekers! Let the authorities handle them. All that junk could be their scrap piles that they save up before they take it to the recyclers for their drug money. BE CAREFUL!
You're so right...people have the duty to keep their animals safe, fed, watered and in good mental health. Unfortunately, some people lack the smarts or simply lack any sense of compassion or empathy. They should never be allowed around animals, let alone own one! It's people like this that contribute to the feral dog population and overstuff our shelters with "unwanted" cats and dogs, even bunnies, potbelly pigs, goats, horses, ponies, chickens, ducks, turtles, lizards, snakes etc..
I personally help network and/or flat out adopt and rescue large animals. You don't want to hear some of these stories.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I would not hesitate one second to call the authorities. It's quite likely that these people are known by them already and most cops I know (and I have a lot of friends in local law enforcement) would relish a reason to bang on the doors of the known low lifes and find a good reason to arrest them. But they can't do it without someone having the intestinal fortitude to help them out. Sounds like you have a public nuisance and probably public endangerment case at the very least. It frosts my cookie when people keep animals in conditions like that and all to often they take the ones they don't want and dump them on some unsuspecting population of rural dwellers. The animals are already vicious and then have to hunt or starve. As I have said before, human ignorance knows no bounds.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:20 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterLady View Post
Keep in mind that the feral dog issue has other animals needing rights. What about the absolutely defenseless day-old goat kid? Or the sweet calf, looking at the world for the first time with those big, dewy brown eyes? Or the curious foal, bucking and playing in the pasture? What about their right to be protected? Dogs and wild canines do not kill humanely. I have seen coyotes and coydogs grab squirrels and swallow them whole, still wriggling. Other animals suffer horribly as they are attacked and eaten while still aware.
Absolutely spot on! A feral Rottweiler attacked my collie last year and it was HORRIBLE! That dog would NOT let go! My neighbors grabbed a waterhose and trained it on the dog but it remained latched onto my collie's neck! I didn't know what to do so I got into my car, laid on the horn and flashed the bright headlights into the Rott's face. Thankfully, that worked. It let go briefly, my collie got away, and he jumped into the car with me until my neighbor was able to scare it off.

My other neighbor had headed into the house to get his rifle. He's an animal lover, too, who owns a Rottweiler himself but he told me that he was ready to shoot the feral Rott since nothing else was working and the attack was so vicious. He also has two little kids who play outside and he said that in no way would he tolerate a feral dog like that to threaten the well-being of the pets and people in our neighborhood.

We called Animal Control and they did send officers immediately. My neighbor called a few times in the subsequent days to see if they were able to capture the feral Rott. and they hadn't but they remained on the lookout.

This happened one Saturday night and it was just lucky that the feral dog didn't puncture one of my dog's arteries. Oliver had a bunch of puncture wounds on his neck and head but I was able to nurse his wounds and he made a full recovery. He was up-to-date on his shots, of course, and the vet said he wouldn't stitch puncture wounds. I had to keep the wounds clean and protected and they healed from the inside out.

Being concerned with animal rights means protecting animals from abuse and neglect and from predators. Just because something is classified as a "dog" doesn't mean we protect and defend its right to wreak havoc on pets, livestock, weaker animals and humans! Sorry, but a wild, feral dog bears NO resemblance to a domesticated pet outside of physical appearance and once a dog becomes feral and joins a wild pack, it cannot be rehabilitated to become a reliable pet. It's like the idiots who have "pet" tigers and then whine and scream for the animal to be killed when it injures its owner.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:41 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Being concerned with animal rights means protecting animals from abuse and neglect and from predators. Just because something is classified as a "dog" doesn't mean we protect and defend its right to wreak havoc on pets, livestock, weaker animals and humans! Sorry, but a wild, feral dog bears NO resemblance to a domesticated pet outside of physical appearance and once a dog becomes feral and joins a wild pack, it cannot be rehabilitated to become a reliable pet. It's like the idiots who have "pet" tigers and then whine and scream for the animal to be killed when it injures its owner.
Your poor collie! OK, I would have headed into the house for the rifle, and I don't mean the .22...not even the 12-gauge...I mean the 300 Winchester Mag freakin' ELK rifle! The children could have been next on the rott's radar! The problem with breeds such as Rotwielers is that they are raised by a certain element to fight. When those animals get loose, watch out!
When dogs are released into the "wild", there are no humans to feed, water, groom them or paint their toenails. They must forage and hunt to survive. Dogs, cats, hogs and goats are among the quickest animals to re-aclimate to life in the wild and adapt fairly easily. And dogs are the fiercest predators. When they team up with the local coyote pack, more is at risk that most people realize. Coyotes also carry Parvo and rabies and can pass these onto domestic animals.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:55 PM

I too have seen attacks by ferals that will curl your hair. I have no compunctions about tipping them over when I see them. I could post some pics of SLAUGHTERED livestock and family pets that ferals have gotten hold of but I'll spare you all that scene. These are vicious and aggresive animals that don't have the fear of people hardwired in like yotes and wolves. attacks on children and even adults are not uncommon. I feel NO remorse whatsoever about shooting them, it has to be done. There is no other solution. We can't trap them and send them to a shelter, the thought is ludicrous. I've had far many experiences with these animals and it left a bad taste in my mouth. They will kill for thrill and are exedingly good at it. There is no place for them in the ecosystem.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:29 PM

591 posts, read 1,415,827 times
If I could shoot a gun straight i could shoot a feral dog hands down if it got a hold of one of mine....and I'm not one to go around upholding shooting any animal..hell I had to smash a mouse once that got caught in a trap but it didn't kill it..so i stomped it with my boot..and yes I cried. But I can do what I have to if need be.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Bear in mind that yote/dog mixing is NOT a controlled thing. It is/was an entirely hapenstace kinda thing. There are no kennels ANYWHERE that breed coydogs. Wolf dogs but not coys. This breed is completly the result of human ignorance of animal behavior and has created a dangerous predator.
I completely agree with your assessment of the issues of coydogs as pets. However, I did find several websites that appear to be offering coydog pups. I won't post them here, because I don't want to draw traffic to those "breeders" but it appears as if planned breeding IS being done.

Irresponsible, IMO......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs