Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 08:05 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times

Advertisements

Anyone a Turkish Kangal owner on here? I’m really interested in this breed. I love the fact that they are big, excellent guard dogs but also seem to have very good temperaments. I’m wondering how they would be with cats and children (I have cats, but no children, but obviously would they encounter children in public or in family/social situations). They don’t appear to be on any banned lists in Washington, but I’ve never actually seen one in real life. There appear to be various Kangal breeders throughout the US, but it seems like Turkey doesn’t like to export them so I imagine most of them are mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 09:33 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
This Breed IS in the US.... All they did in Turkey was Changed the Name!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangal_Shepherd_Dog

Historically the Anatolian Shepherd was treated as a separate breed by many canine registries, but this is now generally treated as part of the same breed population and the Turkish Kennel Club has renamed all Anatolian Shepherds as Kangal Shepherds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolian_Shepherd

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/anatolian-shepherd-dog/

The ones you see in the US ARE Purebred!

Old 04-19-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
This Breed IS in the US.... All they did in Turkey was Changed the Name!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangal_Shepherd_Dog

Historically the Anatolian Shepherd was treated as a separate breed by many canine registries, but this is now generally treated as part of the same breed population and the Turkish Kennel Club has renamed all Anatolian Shepherds as Kangal Shepherds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolian_Shepherd

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/anatolian-shepherd-dog/

The ones you see in the US ARE Purebred!
Awesome, thanks for the info. This is great.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:14 PM

Katie, are you familiar with the breed? Are they good with cats? I know some of the other shepherds are very fond and protective of cats but not sure about this one.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:21 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I don't know about "good temperament". I guess that depends upon what you consider to be a good temperament. They are guard dogs and they guard.

If you get one, you would need to do intense socialization and always be alert to how the dog is reacting to what is going on around it.

I don't consider this to be a beginner's family dog.

While it is not on most insurance companies banned list, it is on my banned list for my rentals. So, unless you own your own home, think twice about adding this breed.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:53 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I have only seen them at Dog Shows. ANY dog Can kill a Cat or other small pets.

I Highly suggest You do your Home work on the Breed & Breeders. & Buy Only when You Own your own home & your Ins Co allows them. Not all LL allow Big breeds. My apt had Great Danes, Irish Wolfhounds & St Bernards... When the place got sold New Owners Only allow under 40# dogs not on the Ins Co Banned list.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:36 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know about "good temperament". I guess that depends upon what you consider to be a good temperament. They are guard dogs and they guard.

If you get one, you would need to do intense socialization and always be alert to how the dog is reacting to what is going on around it.

I don't consider this to be a beginner's family dog.

While it is not on most insurance companies banned list, it is on my banned list for my rentals. So, unless you own your own home, think twice about adding this breed.
Indeed. I prefer Catahoulas. They have GREAT temperaments as far as I'm concerned, but that intense loyalty and high energy can translate into a lawsuit waiting to happen for some people.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:57 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Katie, are you familiar with the breed? Are they good with cats? I know some of the other shepherds are very fond and protective of cats but not sure about this one.
THESE DOGS ARE NOT SHEPHERDS!!!!!!! There is a huge difference in shepherd breeds and sheepdogs, although in English we use the same words to label them.

These are Livestock Guardian Dogs. They should be ok with THEIR cats, but strange cats may be doomed. OTOH, many LGD would simply ignore cats as being insignificant. Their job is to guard against predators - animal and human. Some may get territorial.

I would strongly advise AGAINST taking one of these dogs into your home as a guard dog and a pet. This is an extremely bad idea. These are working dogs. They are used to having square MILES of space to tend to, and they will be INDEPENDENT as all get-out about taking care of what they think needs to be done.

OTOH. They should be good with YOUR children - the children that they think are part of THEIR family. They might NOT welcome other children, and might even be aggressive about it. Depends somewhat on the dog.

I can't see one guarding a house or a yard and thinking that was enough. Get a Dobie or a Rottweiller. Or, if you MUST get an LGD, get a Great Pyr. They are probably the most gentle of the LGD.

Again, unless you have a ranch, and livestock for them to guard? This is a BAD idea. Really bad. And, if you do fit that bill, and you've got a couple hundred sheep with some decent acreage, oregon is right - they still need intense socialization. LGD are working breeds. They make difficult pets, and many are not suited to that sort of life AT ALL.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:20 PM

63 posts, read 30,972 times
'If I may weigh in on this topic...
Five years ago I adopted a puppy from a local shelter. He was listed as an Anatolian/Pyrenees mix. I had his DNA run and he's definitely more Anatolian than Pyr. He's got that shorter fur with a dense undercoat and the classic Anatolian markings with the curled up tail.

He has health issues (hip dysplasia among them) which I am certain affect his temperament but I'll share my thoughts anyway.

The posters that used the term "flock guardian" are absolutely correct. I did a lot of research on this breed before I picked him up.

This type dog is not the most active, they are generally laid back but they are the type of dog that need to do what comes naturally to them.
They watch and they bark (and bark and bark) at anyone and anything that is different or even slightly threatening to their home or property. In Freddie's case, this includes the UPS man, the FedX man as well as anyone walking down the street. And my house is a good 50-60 feet from the road. His favorite thing is to lay down at the highest point in the yard and just watch everything.

I work from home so I am around most days to keep an eye on him and make sure that his barking does not drive my neighbors crazy. He is inside at night and in the summer prefers the air conditioning in the house rather than being outside.

Anatolians are a breed that have a stubborn streak, they can be difficult to train. I try not to restrict his natural tendencies too much because, well, he's only doing what he's been bred to do.

I've found him to be a sweet natured dog with family and he is the sweetheart of the neighborhood when I take him on walks. He's a gentle giant but he can have his moments with other dogs. Who knows why certain dogs just seem to dislike one another?

I wouldn't recommend this type of dog for a first time dog owner or someone who doesn't understand the breed though. Just the other day I ran into someone at Petsmart who adopted a Pyrenees that someone had turned back in because they thought he was a herding dog. ��

Oh, and Freddie hates cats. Don't know why.

Last edited by DogFur; 02-16-2020 at 06:56 AM..

Old 04-22-2019, 04:53 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
IMO this would not be a good choice for a first dog. Livestock Guardian Dogs are independent, assertive and can be very protective of their family. They're not going to know if the new person coming over to your house is a friend or a thread and they will assume a threat and act accordingly.

If this is your first dog, I'd look for a reputable rescue that has a well socialized mixed breed. People think black dogs are more intimidating and they are usually the last to get adopted for that reason. You should have several to choose from.

You also might look at Leonburgers. They're supposed to be the most easy going of the LGD breed but again do your research on the breed and breeders.

Giant dogs are expensive to own - food, medical, dog beds, toys are all more expensive than for other dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs