Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,308 times

Advertisements

I am a fan of The Dog WHisperer, here is a good one for those of you who have never seen him:
Hulu - Dog Whisperer: How to Raise the Perfect Dog - Watch the full episode now. (http://www.hulu.com/watch/120620/dog-whisperer-how-to-raise-the-perfect-dog - broken link)

I've never seen the Animal Palnet one, nor do I get cable. Wonder if there are any online episodes to watch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 05:17 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,239 times
No one's mentioned it, but Victoria has a book too. I have it, it's great!!

I've watched a couple episodes of the Dog Whisperer when he was working with fearful dogs and you could see the dogs just shut down. When he's literally dragged the dog up the stairs (dog was afraid of stairs) he says the dog is "calm"...one look at the dog's dilated pupils suggests otherwise! From what I've seen he does too much too quickly and doesn't really teach the owner how to train their dog. With fearful dogs specifically positive reinforcement is the only way to go.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM

400 posts, read 1,238,263 times
I have a golden retriever, about 85lbs, 5 years old, psychotically happy all around. Mind you I'm only 5'3" and about 125lbs. Have never been able to take him for a walk because he's so big and "100 miles an hour" and I'd be skiing down the sidewalk on my face at the other end of the leash. Titan has always been a serious handful when company comes over because he races in circles around them with his "baseball bat" of a tail beating bruises on them and squealing like he's gonna blow.
I watch Cesar religiously and finally have control over the tornado. I am not yet walking him by myself (still working on that one) but have gotten control of the doors to my house and can calm him down. "Shhttt" works very well for me and my husband keeps accusing me of stealing his dog because Titan listens to me and behaves himself.
Also, you should know that Titan is still welcome on the furniture, sleeps on the bed nightly and is still the major receiver of affection in the house. Kisses, loves, all of it. I might be the pack leader but I'm certainly not a harda**.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,082 times
forget it's me or the dogs and dog whisperer
neither of these guys know English and the audience (me) gets frustrated trying to follow their poor communicative kakakoo
if you can't afford a real dog behaviorist or atleast a decent DVD try "in the dog house" by brad patterson
it's borderline between the two above and his method well it's more a combination of things.
first of all he points out the owners relationships and fix what ever conflict people in the home have then he address the k9 issue if its dominance he will alpha roll and show you correct way.
once the dog get Demoted he hand it back to the owner and tell you good luck you now have a good clean foundation to work and build upon follow his instructions and be consistence and you'll be fine.
none of these are dog training DVD they are TV Series but Brad does it best the other two I'd have to rank cearsar first and victoria I just can't stand her but is about the only positive training you can find free on TV just keep in mind her teaching is very conflicting and unsure while the other two are very convincing. bottom line: you should start with clicker training and stick with it. really give it a chance it works.
for me I started blindly buying used books any where i can find on dog training and from leash pops choke chain prong to electric shock collar done it all and ended up with a dog thats insecure unsure scare and aggressive toward strangers human and dogs.
we now clicker train and leave out punishments as much as possible she's finally coming around.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:56 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
IMO ... they both speak perfectly fine English... Victoria, of course, with a British accent and Caesar with a slight Latin accent..... have never had a bit of problem understanding either one's words......

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaixeon76 View Post
forget it's me or the dogs and dog whisperer
neither of these guys know English and the audience (me) gets frustrated trying to follow their poor communicative kakakoo
if you can't afford a real dog behaviorist or atleast a decent DVD try "in the dog house" by brad patterson
it's borderline between the two above and his method well it's more a combination of things.
first of all he points out the owners relationships and fix what ever conflict people in the home have then he address the k9 issue if its dominance he will alpha roll and show you correct way.
once the dog get Demoted he hand it back to the owner and tell you good luck you now have a good clean foundation to work and build upon follow his instructions and be consistence and you'll be fine.
none of these are dog training DVD they are TV Series but Brad does it best the other two I'd have to rank cearsar first and victoria I just can't stand her but is about the only positive training you can find free on TV just keep in mind her teaching is very conflicting and unsure while the other two are very convincing. bottom line: you should start with clicker training and stick with it. really give it a chance it works.
for me I started blindly buying used books any where i can find on dog training and from leash pops choke chain prong to electric shock collar done it all and ended up with a dog thats insecure unsure scare and aggressive toward strangers human and dogs.
we now clicker train and leave out punishments as much as possible she's finally coming around.
no wonder!! .... your poor dog.... good luck undoing that damage......

Old 01-25-2010, 10:49 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
I like both of them.

There's much to learn from both of them.... and so many others in the field.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3593 View Post
Anyone watch these shows? What do you think? Just thought it would be interesting for people to weigh in.
I find both to be a valuable resource. I am partial to Cesear's smile

Old 01-25-2010, 11:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I find both to be a valuable resource. I am partial to Cesear's smile
Me too!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:24 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,693 times
I like Ceasar!!!! I think he is great! The other lady annoys me.

Greenchili

Old 01-26-2010, 03:26 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,489 times
I like the Pack Leader, though after watching it for about 3 years, it's kind of the same old thing episode after episode. I know there's only so many different ways to explain the basic rules, and Ceasar's pretty much covered in every way imaginable.

I've actually found his teaching kind of helpful with my little nephew who is a spoiled brat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs