Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 03:46 PM

7 posts, read 11,234 times

Advertisements

My usually friendly and playful dog, who is neutered, is only aggressive towards un-altered dogs...why? And is there anything I can do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:29 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
Was your dog spayed/neutered at an early age? sounds like some residual hormones are influencing a aggressive dominance display. Either that or some other behavioral issue that may be influenced by your relationship with the dog. Do you feel you have control in obedience situations? Sometimes dogs regard their owners as possessions and act out in protective displays.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:45 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Altered male dogs sometimes see in-tact dogs as a threat...they can smell the hormones. This is one of the reasons why a lot of dog parks don't allow in-tact dogs, because they become a "target".

Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
I agree. My intact male dog is extremely friendly to all people and dogs (albeit, pretty horny, and that gets annoying) but I have seen neutered males come at him aggressively when introduced. He is banned from all communal dog boarding facilities, too. I used to think it was the procreation fear, but I learned later it is about the other dogs' behavior towards him.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:45 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,831 times
We have a docile 6 y/o neutered male dog. The only times we have ever seen him get angry or dominate with any other dog was when the dog was an unaltered male. It didn't matter of the un-altered male was he nicest dog ever.

Our male was neutered at 15 months old. We would have neutered him asap when he was a pup, but we found him dumped in the country side at 14 months old. We have always joked that he knows it's "cuter to be neutered" and he knows the presence of balls are a no-no (lol)!

We agree (in our humble opinion) that we think it is an issue of the altered dog sensing the unaltered dog's hormones and viewing him as a threat.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:34 AM

7 posts, read 11,234 times
Thanks for the responses. I'm new to this site and love this forum! Its nice to hear some explanations, I thought maybe Oscar (our dog) was just jealous that they still had their manhood! Oscar was nuetered around 6 months or before. We did it as soon as the vet let us. I feel as though we are in control of our dog, he listens to us very well most the time. However, I have noticed that he usually acts out when the un-altered dog is near me, not my husband. I have suspected that maybe he is trying to 'protect' me (even though there is absolutely no reason to) but thought maybe it was just a coincidence.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaci00 View Post
However, I have noticed that he usually acts out when the un-altered dog is near me, not my husband. I have suspected that maybe he is trying to 'protect' me (even though there is absolutely no reason to) but thought maybe it was just a coincidence.
He's protecting you from an interspecies pregnancy!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:32 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I adopted a girl who was reportedly spayed and turns out she was not. When she went into heat, my spayed female was constantly attacking her (and the neutered males managed a little action themselves). People wiser than me about dogs said that this is common- something about the scent. No, it's not jealousy! But you can't mix altered and intact dogs without risking a lot of nasty fighting.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:43 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaci00 View Post
I have noticed that he usually acts out when the un-altered dog is near me, not my husband. I have suspected that maybe he is trying to 'protect' me (even though there is absolutely no reason to) but thought maybe it was just a coincidence.
It's funny how protective they can be...even my boyfriend's dogs get upset if they see someone they don't know getting too close to me. They stand right by me and sometimes even growl if someone extends a hand for me to shake hello, but they back off once I tell them "It's okay, this is a friend". If my boyfriend goofs around and pretends he's going to "get" me, they all start barking and getting in his way to protect me...the fact that they weigh a whopping 25 pounds combined doesn't phase them in the slightest! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs