Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 AM

18,736 posts, read 33,427,167 times

Advertisements

Adopt a German Shepherd Dog: Nala: Petfinder (http://tinyurl.com/bg4epe - broken link)

Scroll down to "Nala."

I had noticed her pic weeks ago when I was (dangerously) idly looking through local dogs for adoption in case I found one I had to have. Then I was in touch with the people out at Best Friends, considering spending a couple of days there this summer when I vacation three hours away, considering what seniors might be suitable. Then I got an email from West Warwick Animal Shelter (where I found my Artie on petfinder), thanking me for recent pics of Artie and donation, and asking if I knew anyone who might adopt Nala.
So I'm going down today (Sunday), bringing Artie to visit his friends, and picking up this lovely older girl. She looks very lively! I love the seniors.
I finally realized that homing senior dogs (especially those from rough situations) is my mission in life, and supporting people and groups who ease suffering, animal and human. I work my job to keep my home and donations going. It's kind of crept up on me- I just thought I really liked dogs- but it's become very meaningful to me, besides loving their company and being home so much because I work third shift.
I've been out and around plenty in life. My passport expired in 1996, and I let it go, knowing I was going to be building a house. I still want vacations in the Mountain West, but at almost-56, feel like I've been around the block more than a few times with travel, place, moving, jobs/career/daydreams, and this is where I've landed.
One old friend finds this extremely boring, having just discovered travel himself. He dropped our 40-year correspondence, also because I won't tell him that he's a great writer/musician/journalist, which he isn't. (I refuse to comment, that's all). He has a great job that he really earned at a major cultural institution, and has had a family and wife at a late state in life, something he always wanted, and I've been effusive about those things.
Too bad he thinks I'm boring now that I don't care to travel overseas or play music or whatever. Been there, done that. I feel like I'm on a retreat or something, here in the woods in my beloved house with the mutts. I just have to go out five nights a week to pay for it all.
Thank you for listening. Welcome to Nala!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 08:12 AM

46 posts, read 81,195 times
She's beautiful!!! Thank you for giving a senior dog a chance.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:28 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,445,659 times
Gorgeous...she looks like she "oozes" personality! Can't wait to hear more about her!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times
I love (LOVE!) that you're giving a senior dog a home to live out her golden years. That's BEAUTIFUL!

I wish I could do the same but Artie (I also have a dog named Artie!!!!) is THE dog of the house and won't allow anyone in who might take my affection from him. Oh, and my husband won't let another dog in either.

Oh, and your friend who finds you boring? Tell him that we all find you WONDERFUL!

You and Nala are so lucky to have found each other. I wish you both the best!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:34 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,537,359 times
Brightdoglover...your current life seems so peaceful and attractive to us! Many of our friends love to travel and do visit some interesting places. We love to listen to their stories and look at their pictures. To us, the most relaxing and enjoyable place to retreat to is our mountain cabin about 4 hours from home. If not the cabin, it's a vacation we can take the dogs along. We view work for the same reasons you do too. Sorry your friend has faded away...but he apparently doesn't get who you are nor does he appreciate you for your differences either.

Your story of Nala put a smile on our faces this morning! We look forward to reading an update when you return.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:54 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,200,846 times
I think it wonderful that you've adopted Nala! My newest senior dog is 13 years old also, and a wonderful dog with a great personality. He's so easy to take care of and it's clear that he appreciates being with me. Senior dogs rock!

Old 02-08-2009, 03:10 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,591,725 times
What a wonderful thing you are doing! Kudos! That friend of yours reminds me of some friends in my past who are heavily into the whole money, excitement & status thing...they all thought I was nuts when I left NYC and moved to Texas, but I couldnt be happier. Every time I look at the mountains from my front porch, I feel free and at peace.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:27 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
So how is it going with Nala? I looked at her pictures and she is cute ( though not as cute as you know who) Actually she looks like quite a spry senior like my Jazz. Jazz will be 13 in May and people think she is about 6 or 7! It always breaks my heart to see Seniors looking for new homes so I am happy there are people like you and my friend Joanne that have a soft spot in your hearts for them so they can live out their time left feeling loved. Bless you. Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs