Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:39 PM

35 posts, read 290,900 times

Advertisements

I think tipping is getting out of control, but I don't want to stiff the people who treat my furbaby!

What is the tipping etiquette for doggie nail trims? I had only used vets in the past, but am now going to Petco for nail trims. I never tipped the vet, but should I be tipping the Petco employee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 01:45 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,193 times
Someone told me it was like you going to the hair salon and tipping if you liked the service from your hairdresser. When I did take my dogs into PetSmart for their nails, it was typically $8.00 for the nail trim (per dog) and I would tip $2.00 (per dog). We only did this a few times...I didn't really care for the job and started to do it myself...even though it takes two of us to trim nails on one dog (lol).

Old 02-18-2009, 01:50 PM

124 posts, read 309,152 times
As a brand new bather (I bathe, brush, and trim nails, I don't do any actual 'haircuts') I was actually wondering that myself..

I certainly think though that if you know your dog is difficult and/or freaking huge, it would be very nice to get a little extra for the effort.

I had a malamute the other day that continually would lie down during his bath, making it hard to get his belly washed, and then he was lying down in the water while I was drying him, getting him constantly wet. And then he sat on me the whole time while I was trimming his nails.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:39 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
When I had my first mini schnauzer I was paying $20 a grooming and I tipped $5. Over his lifetime of fourteen years his grooming increased from $20 to an average of $50 and sometimes $60 and I continued to tip $5. I now have a new mini schnauzer and I pay $50 for his grooming and do not tip. With the increase in retail prices, like most people, I must cut back somewhere. Add to that the loss of jobs and if you plan to get a job that depends on tips I would suggest rethinking that plan.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:51 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,791 times
I tip when the groomer fits Piper in or if I show up without an appointment and ask if they can take her in. I don't make a habit of that but you never know when the little muppet will get into something.
I just took her to petsmart and it cost $60 to give her a bath, brush her out and brush her teeth. I usually buy her a toy as a reward but at that cost (it went up over $10 from a month agao) I couldn't afford it. so no, I can't afford to tip right now

Old 02-18-2009, 06:50 PM

35 posts, read 290,900 times
Wow, thanks for all the replies! I think I paid $10 for the nail trim, and I am planning to go every two weeks, which is considered a "maintenance" trim, so it's only $4! What a deal! I think I will tip $1 or $2 when I go, as long as they do a good job and respect my baby! I figured I would talk to the people at Petco before I used the nail service and felt pretty comfortable with the woman, and I was very impressed with the way she treated him. He doesn't struggle if DH and I are both there, and it took 3 minutes or less for the actual trim!

Amazonchix- I am impressed that you are able to cut your own dog's nails! Mine is just under 100 lbs and hates to have his nails clipped. I tried doing it at home once, and I got the clipper near his nail and he yelped and pulled away...then I picked up his paw again, and he screamed as if in pain...big faker - I wasn't even touching his nail! When I let him out he tried to hide behind a tree in the backyard...so that was the end of trying to cut his nails at home.

We used a grooming place asociated with the old vet's office until one of the techs clipped too much - definitely forgivable, but she was so nasty about it, and was really too rough with him. So, we started going to the new vet, but the vet has limited hours, and DH and I both have to be there to hold him so they don't have to muzzle him and pin him down. Then we end up sitting in the waiting room for a long time, which makes him anxious.

He has only had two real baths in five years. I supplement his cleaning with doggie wipes if necessary, so I feel lucky we don't have to deal with bathing and haircuts. He is a rescue with a "sensitive" past and has enough issues!

I can't imagine paying $50 or $60 for a bath! My hair doesn't even cost that much, so I would have hard time tipping for a dog bath what I would tip my own hairdresser! Sakuda - that Malamute sounds pretty funny, and I'm sure you'll make a great groomer!

Again, thanks for all the replies!

Old 02-18-2009, 06:53 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
Thanks for starting the thread. I am having a hard time bathing him and trimming my large puppy's nails by myself. I was wondering if the grooming service at Petco or Petsmart did nail trims as well.

Now I know...and I know to tip!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:07 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
I use a mobile groomer. It's SO cool that she comes to the house with her fully equipped trailer and she does an excellent, complete groom (Bath, cut, brush, blow dry and nails) for $35!!!! I tip her and she appreciates it. She says that very few people do.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,193 times
MadisonM:
Amazonchix- I am impressed that you are able to cut your own dog's nails! Mine is just under 100 lbs and hates to have his nails clipped. I tried doing it at home once, and I got the clipper near his nail and he yelped and pulled away...then I picked up his paw again, and he screamed as if in pain...big faker - I wasn't even touching his nail! When I let him out he tried to hide behind a tree in the backyard...so that was the end of trying to cut his nails at home.

Ahh...if the cameras were only rolling when we trim nails on our 75lb and 58lb dogs! You would think that we have a hx of beating them. Our female is the worst. My partner has to hold her or lay on her while I try to quickly clip nails. I know it isn't as long as it feels (time wise)...but it shouldn't be as long as it takes. Plus, we bought a Oster A5 Turbo to shave the bottom of our female's feet. She's a b/c mix and her feet can get shaggy and thus easy muddy. Trimmed feet make for an easy clean.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:17 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
You are making me feel a lot better. I am having an impossible time trying to trim the puppy's nails. And I have been playing with his paws and nails for the longest time, like I am supposed to do to get him used to it.

Bathing is a huge pain too. We don't have one of those detachable shower heads so I use pitchers of water and hold on tight to him. I am thinking I will be investing in a detachable shower head, as we have had hardly any snow/rain lately to tamp down the dirt and it is very dusty/dirty outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs