Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times

Advertisements

Um my dog is a Kelpie X (an Aussie cattle dog) and when we initially got him he got a little excited now and then and would attempt to herd my niece and nephew when they'd come to visit. Occasionally with adults too but I never left the children alone with him AND was always on the look out for signs that he or the children were getting over excited. If he looked as though he was about to attempt to herd anyone he'd get a firm "no" command and had to come and sit and heel by me. I've also spent a good deal of time discussing with the kids how to behave around him and to that end they are good and don't run around him screaming. They know not to try to hug him or cover his head or get right in his face. They know how to approach him in a non threatening manner and I also got him and the children familiar with the children giving him treats. They had to learn to command him to sit and he had to learn "gentle" when taking food from them. Nipping is always met with a firm NO command and time out on his mat but he has never nipped the children.

I still don't ever leave him alone with the children BUT I'd never leave ANY dog alone with the children and I must say that he's very affectionate and calm around them now. To such an extent that when they came to visit last time he was sitting up in between both of them and at one point turned and licked each of them on the face in turn. He's really great around everybody as long as he's introduced properly AND I always make sure that I watch him with people around so that I'm not setting him up to fail by leaving him to make mistakes when people don't behave as he is expecting. He's a smart dog and very affectionate. I don't know if that helps at all, or even if it would work on other dogs but I figured you might like to know that it's not impossible to teach the dog when is the appropriate time for their natural behaviours to be employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 02:12 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubba View Post
just wondering, does this happen with shelties too? I understand they are also of the herding breed.. do they nip and people and if anyone have experiences with shelties and kids?
We had a sheltie when I was a small kid and he was my protector. He was a mix though. The pure breed bark more, and much more energetic and are very loving and smart dogs. But they do herd. My purebred loved with the yard was full of birds. she tried to herd them.

When my son was born we had no problem but she was glued to me the whole pregnancy. So that might make a difference.

One thing with shelties is to check their temperment. What works for an energetic family may not work for someone who wants a companion, or an older dog may be better. It all depends on your needs.

Generally I know we didn't have problems but they are herders and I can see that being one.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:56 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Let me see, they got rid of a Sheltie and got an Aussie because the Sheltie has herding issues. No offense to your friends, but did they research the breed at all? That is like saying my Lab likes to retrieve too much, so I am going to get a Golden Retriever instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs