Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 11:14 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,378 times

Advertisements

Pollen is flying thick right now in GA. My dogs started eating grass and then throwing up bile. They continued to eat and play so I decided to take a wait and see approach. I think they have been doing this for years(I am just now making the connection, slow learner I am) but maybe it's worse now that their aging.

A friend at the park told me that she read somewhere that they eat grass not because their stomach is upset(which I always believed) but because they are trying to get rid of their congestion. This would make a lot of sense because now that the large pollen has disappeared so has the vomiting. None has thrown up in about a week. They are happy as three senior dogs can be

Have any of you heard of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 12:11 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Never heard of it. Would you eat grass for a stuff nose?

Old 04-18-2009, 12:18 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
From a scientific/medical view point this makes no sense: why would ingesting a SOURCE of pollen (yes, grasses make pollen, too!) make ANYTHING better if those pollens acted as allergens?

Old 04-18-2009, 01:24 PM

452 posts, read 1,723,001 times
Perhaps it's like honey; apparently it's best for your allergies if you eat honey that is gathered from the area in which you live.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:57 PM

Default I know it's related

As strange as it sounds I believe the vomiting and pollen count are related.

My smaller, younger dog, Bandit, woke up this morning with a swollen, draining eye. The eye is damaged because of a fight with a mama raccoon(before he was my pet.) I have been watching him and eye is okay. He can't see out of it anyway so there's no chance this will impair his vision! He ate grass(more like a variegated ivy bush) this morning and proceeded to vomit.

The two older, bigger dogs are fine

Old 04-18-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
From a scientific/medical view point this makes no sense: why would ingesting a SOURCE of pollen (yes, grasses make pollen, too!) make ANYTHING better if those pollens acted as allergens?
I thought, that's what immunotherapy was??

Old 04-19-2009, 04:43 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,890 times
I don't know about it actually helping allergies, but if the dog has post-nasal drip, that can certainly upset his or her stomach. Especially an empty stomach. So I bet they're related, but not in the way the OP suggests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs