Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:05 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times

Advertisements

I posted these in the thread that I started about what happened to Brooklyn, but I know that a lot of people stop checking the older threads like that after a while. So, I wanted to post them again. Anyway, the day before yesterday (3-27-09) was my husband's birthday, so we decided to go get memorial tattoos for our Brooklyn boy. I just wanted to share these with everyone because we love them!

This is the tattoo my husband got, it says "Brooklyn" at the top, has a picture of an APBT and it says "RIP" at the bottom. He got his tattoo on the side of his right calf (sp? )...

And this is mine. Mine just says "Brooklyn" and it's across the top of my back, just under my neck...

As I said, we have only had these for a couple days, so they are in the process of healing and don't look as good as they will yet. But, we still love them, and getting these actually helped us to feel a little better about not having Brooklyn here with us. It almost makes us feel like he is still kind of with us, in a way.

I also wanted to know, does anyone else on here have a tattoo for their pet? Some people told my husband and I that we were crazy to get a tattoo for Brooklyn, because "he was just a dog". But, to us, he was not just a dog, he really was like our fur-baby. And we loved him more than I can even say. We will always love him, we will always miss him, and he will always be in our hearts and in our minds. Also, a lot of people told us that tattoos are permanent (As if we didn't already know! lol! I already had 1 and my husband already had 2.), and what are we going to do if we regret getting these tattoos years down the road? And our answer to that was, we won't regret getting these, ever. Brooklyn really did/does mean that much to us, period. So, to us, it wasn't stupid to get these tattoos. I feel that tattoos are a very good way to express yourself, and I feel that as long as the person getting the tattoo gets something that is very meaningful and important to them, it's a good thing. It's a lot like therapy! So yeah, how many people on here have a tattoo for their pet? And if you don't have a tattoo for your pet right now, could you see yourself ever getting one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 03:04 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,300 times
Thanks for sharing; I love them! I have a couple of tattoos, but neither is related to my dog -- or any of my dearly departed pets. Honestly, I haven't considered doing this (yet anyway lol). I plan to have so many furbabies, how could I choose which ones to memorialize on my body? I'd be quite the painted canvas by the time I was through!

Old 03-29-2009, 03:39 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
I think it is great that you and your husband got tattoos to honor Brooklyn! I LOVE tattoos and plan on getting another one soon...I want to get a memorial tattoo that symbolizes the honoring of all the people & animal companions in my life that have crossed over...I am still working out the design, but it is something I have been wanting to do for awhile now. My family gave me a hard time back in the day when they realized I was going to be one of those tattooed/pierced/gothic types, but have gradually & eventually learned to accept the eccentricities they kept telling themselves (& each other!) I would grow out of...lol! Now when their friends give them that funny look, they explain that I am an artist, its pretty funny how that somehow makes it normal and okay in peoples eyes...! In any case, you did a beautiful thing and Brooklyns spirit is leaping with joy at the Rainbow Bridge knowing his parents loved him so much they have part of him etched into their very skin. Who cares what people say...if it helps you feel even a tiny bit better about the nightmare you had to suffer through, it is worth every smirk, crack, and wide-eyed expression in the world!!! I love them!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 04:45 PM

315 posts, read 1,091,758 times
i've always said if i was to ever get a tatoo, it would only be of zeke or miya. i actually have a six inch scar around my ankle from a rope burn she gave me. i've often thought of having a rope and paws tatooed over it but i have to admit, i'm not a big fan of pain. i have a very, very low tolerance and everyone says around the ankle hurts a lot.

i love your and think it's a beautiful tribute.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:51 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,325 times
Hi Kim!!!I agree with your whole post. Those tattoos are wonderful. What a nice way to remember him. I don't have any tattoos for now, nether does my husband. But I can see me/us getting a tattoo of our pet sometime. It is a beautiful way to remember someone. Really nice tattoos!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 06:45 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
While I myself do not plan on any tattoos probably because I am old enough to be you mom. I have no problems with others getting them and when the tattoo has special meaning to a person I find that all the better reason for it.

Having worked in a hospital for the past 27 -28 yrs now I have seen ALOT of Tatoos and enjoy asking people about them especially when they do have a story behind them. I think in many ways having a tattoo of a dog you loved so much makes more sense then the name of a girlfriend or boyfriend as unlike a future human relationship a future dog isn't going to say " hey get that thing removed as I do not like seeing that name or picture tatooed on you"

My favorite tattoo belonged to an old man . He got the name of a girlfriend tatooed on his arm before he left to go fight in WWII . I asked "is that your wife?" and he said " Oh no and believe me my wife hated this tattoo" He told me the story behind it and with a wink said she was a very special girl as she was my first..if you know what I mean ..wink wink. For those few moments he told me about it he became that young handsome boy talking about his first girl. That Tatto held alot of special memories for him as I could see it in his eyes as he talked about her.

To quote you "But, we still love them, and getting these actually helped us to feel a little better about not having Brooklyn here with us. It almost makes us feel like he is still kind of with us, in a way. " Trust me Brookyln is still with you as he always will be as he left big paw prints on both of your hearts and time will not remove them as they are now a part of you both and who you are.

Let others say what they may about the tattoo's as in the end they only people in really does matter too is both of you. There is nothing wrong about having a different opinion on things as we are all individuals and Brooklyn has a special place in your hearts and if this is how you want to honor him don't let anyone else take that from you.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I hope those bring you some comfort and peace.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:01 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
If I had tats when I was young for each of my beloved departed dogs in my life, I'd have seven dog names on my body by now. Ouch!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:03 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Those tattoos are very cool... for you and your husband. What kind of work do you and your husband do? I would never get a tattoo for any reason, and my family and close friends feel the same way. It just doesn't look professional for most job settings, and who wants to have to dress in such a way to cover up a tattoo for work?

And especially with the placement of your tattoo, you yourself can't see it except with a mirror. So the tattoos are really there for others to see it and ask about it and less to remind yourself about Brooklyn. I guess that's a good way to begin a conversation with a stranger about Brooklyn and your love for pit bulls, so that's a good thing.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
BTW may I ask how much the tattoos cost you? Were they very expensive?

I was also thinking that perhaps you should put a silhouette of a pit bull underneath your tattoo, as many people might think that you are referring to Brooklyn, New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs