Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
This is what you asked:

Isn't this what you wanted input on (since the owner IS present?)
Isn't it sort of a two-part answer? A) There's the legal implication(s) and then there's the mine-field of B) moral/ethical attitude or opinion.

But there's also a very real safety issue: ok, a driver slams on brakes to avoid hitting unleashed dog. Let's say the action of slamming on brakes causes the car to skid or swerve... and in the process another car is damaged &/or there are people injured. Isn't "Brake Slammer" is going to be held liable regardless of reason brakes were slammed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 AM

65 posts, read 492,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post

Were you and your boyfriend ok after having made that abrupt stop to avoid hitting these dogs? This is also something else that should have been explained to the old guy with his dogs...but calmly. Be a good samaritan and see if you can track this old guy down and bring him a couple of leashes for his pets...they are not expensive to buy but my guess would be that maybe this old guy is on social security and can't afford leashes. Hope you both are ok after this one!
yah we were fine.. he wasn't driving fast to begin with, it was at a residential area. I thought of stopping to tell him about the leash thing, but since we were at a hurry to get to somewhere else at that time... plus the old guy did not look appreciative or friendly that we made the sudden stop. ignored us like we weren't there, picked up the other dog and crossed the street in front of our car to get to his other one, all the while yelling "STUPID DOG! WHAT A STUPID DOG!"

Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
This is a toughie...my husband always said people's safety first before an animal's. If I were on a safe road and this dog crossed me, AND I am driving at a speed slow enough to matter AND if no one was right at my tail ready to slam me, I would brake with the force of both feet to avoid that dog. On a 2-lane road, I would never swerve to avoid it and put myself and the driver(s) of opposing traffic in danger.

My second concern is, isn't a hurt dog likely to bite? Shouldn't the person who intends to pick up this dog know how to restrain the dog first, as in muzzle it, put a blanket around it? How does one know the extent of the injuries of the dog that could be made worse by improper movement, or should that even matter in this situation? Is the advisable move just always try to take it to a vet regardless of how you get it there?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
If I hit a dog, I would get out and see if I could help it. If it appeared unharmed I would attempt to find it's owners. If it was injured I would bring it to a vet.

Myself, I am not afraid of getting bitten...I'd just take over. I would also assume that if you are confidant and in-charge the dog would be less likely to bite.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, but you have to be very careful when braking or swerving to miss an animal. Luckily you and your boyfriend were ok, a friend of mine was put into a wheelchair for the rest of his life as he swerved his car into oncoming traffic to avoid hitting a deer.

If a animal runs into the street, it should not get the same reaction as if a child ran into the street. Im sorry if this offends anyone, but I would probably have hit the dog, as I would not have reacted the same way. I would have still stopped to make sure everything was ok, and offer to help, but you have to put your safety first. Imagine if you didn't have a seat belt on or if somebody was behind you? The quick braking could have thrown you against the dash or worse.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:14 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
My reaction to hitting a dog would matter on where I was at the time, and whether or not I could stop safely. If I could, I would stop to see if the dog was dead or injured. I'd check for identification, and if it had some, I'd contact the owner and let them know about their animal so that they could take care of it. If there was no identification, and the animal was injured, I'd take it to the nearby humane society and let them treat and keep it. If it was dead, well, not much you can do about that.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
I would assess the situation and if I felt that perhaps this person did not have the money to pay for the dog to go to the vet then I would offer to do so.

[cut] Be a good samaritan and see if you can track this old guy down and bring him a couple of leashes for his pets...they are not expensive to buy but my guess would be that maybe this old guy is on social security and can't afford leashes.
That's a charitable thought, but if this guy can't even afford leashes, let alone healthcare for his dogs, he has no business owning any.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:10 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Myself, I am not afraid of getting bitten...I'd just take over. I would also assume that if you are confidant and in-charge the dog would be less likely to bite.
Don't count on it. A hurt and terrified dog will not care about how confident and in-charge you are. It's always best to find a way to muzzle an injured dog before you handle it. Even if it's your own.

As for the original question, that's a tough one. Being a huge sucker, I would probably take the dog and owner to the nearest vet hospital. My inclination to help with expenses would probably be dependent on a) the owner's attitude b) my own financial situation at the time and c) the extent of the dog's injuries.

I don't have any idea about the legalities. I can't imagine if an uncontrolled dog runs out into the road in front of you that you could be held liable.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
This is one of the reasons why it is so important to drive slowly in residential areas...not just for the sake of wandering pets, but for children as well...they are all over the place in my neighborhood, unsupervised, chasing balls into the street without looking and generally being kids. I hope I never, ever have to face that scenario, but if I did I can pretty much guarantee I would reflexively brake to avoid hitting whatever creature happened to be in my path. This is also why it is never a good idea to tailgate...gotta leave some room so if that person in front of you stops short, you have time to break as well and avoid a lot of damage & possible injury. To answer the 2nd part, I would definitely want to help get the animal to the vet needed, and would probably offer to pay half as long as the owner was not acting like a jerk and blaming me for their creature being off-leash and/or unsupervised!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:54 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,020 times
I hadn't really thought about this until tonight...we were walking home and were about 2 houses away and like usual I dropped the leash and let Rocco run home...instead he went to my PASSENGER side of the car...= street ...and there happened to be a car driving by...he has NEVER done that before...ever...it scared the crap out of me and ...well, we won't be doing that again...He has great recall so I didn't call him cause i didnt want him to turn around in the road...
Apparently he wants to go for a ride....
if i had ever hit a dog in my car..after I got done throwing up...I would beat the owner of the dog...who was watching all this happen....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs