Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times

Advertisements

Oprah's Puppy Dies from Parvo - KHOU Animal Attraction (http://www.beloblog.com/KHOU_Animal_Attraction/2009/03/oprahs-puppy-di.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 03:04 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
I saw this earlier. She publicized so much that she adopted this one from the animal shelter instead of using a breeder, which I'm sure will do no good to the reputation that shelter pups are inherently sick. I hope people don't avoid shelters because of her experience.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:04 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
Poor little guy...RIP Ivan.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:08 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,232,303 times
How sad! The majority of shelter dogs are due to irresponsible people breeding the family pet, BYB's and puppy mills. Treating Parvo can cost more than having bought a puppy from a responsible breeder that breeds to improve the breed and breeds for health, temperament, vaccinates and does the proper clearances/testing of a particlular breed.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:10 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,169,965 times
she has a dog almost die from Parvo years ago. Weird! I've had a lot of dogs and not one ever got Parvo.........just sayin.......

Old 03-18-2009, 03:14 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I saw this earlier. She publicized so much that she adopted this one from the animal shelter instead of using a breeder, which I'm sure will do no good to the reputation that shelter pups are inherently sick. I hope people don't avoid shelters because of her experience.
Good point...someone on the cat forum recently said he was going to start breeding because he claimed 2 kittens he & his wife got at shelters were both unhealthy & both died...so it can get even worse than avoiding shelters if others latch on to the same line of thinking & start breeding on their own. Such an uphill battle...!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:31 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,149,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
How sad! The majority of shelter dogs are due to irresponsible people breeding the family pet, BYB's and puppy mills. Treating Parvo can cost more than having bought a puppy from a responsible breeder that breeds to improve the breed and breeds for health, temperament, vaccinates and does the proper clearances/testing of a particlular breed.
And your solution to this problem is ... what? That everyone should go out and buy purebreds?

Treating parvo should not be an issue if the pup was properly vaccinated in the first place. Parvo is preventable via vaccination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Such an uphill battle...!
Obviously.

Can someone explain please - just the facts if known - why this dog wasn't vaccinated against parvo? I've not followed the story and I couldn't give a monkey's who owns the dog, I'm just curious if there's a valid reason this dog wasn't fully vaccinated.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:38 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post

Can someone explain please - just the facts if known - why this dog wasn't vaccinated against parvo? I've not followed the story and I couldn't give a monkey's who owns the dog, I'm just curious if there's a valid reason this dog wasn't fully vaccinated.
This is a puppy, so there is a good chance it hasn't received all the required doses of parvo when she got it. Even a fully vaccinated dog is not guaranteed to not pick up this dreaded disease. So a puppy that only got the first or the first two doses is most likely not fully immune yet.

I wonder if it picked up parvo from the shelter? Incubation for parvo is 7-10 days. It can kill in 2-3 days if left untreated. The article I read says that she picked up the dogs earlier this month. So it would be a question of did the pups pick up the parvo at the shelter? Or from somewhere else? It sounds like she was trotting them all over when they were first adopted. Wouldn't the other dogs in the shelter be sick as well? I find it hard to believe hers are the only two affected.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:46 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
this is a sad story, not only b/c of this puppy's untimely death, bu b/c it may undo a lot of the work Oprah did to highlight shelters and rescues. there are already some people bad mouthing, not only this shelters, but shelters and rescues on the whole. there are already some BYBs stating that animals at the shelter are always sick and that they can provide "healthy" pets and there are people that will buy into this, especially w/ this high profile death of a shelter puppy. checking out the Pets page on the Chicago board, there was some major backlash against PAWS (not too dissimilar to the backlash against that rescue that took Ellen's pup away last year) which is very unfortunate.

hopefully the second puppy makes it through okay. IMHO, it is very unfortunate that she decided to expose these dogs to a massive studio so soon. I know everyone likes a cute puppy, but puppies should go to very limited areas until they are fully vaccinated (I cringe every time I see a tiny puppy being carted around at Petsmart)

Old 03-18-2009, 03:51 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,638 times
How sad! Hopefully Sadie will pull through!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs