Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:13 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times

Advertisements

Just curious what others think about this and has anyone experienced bad reactions to vaccines?

Vaccinosis - Do Your Research Before You Vaccinate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
I'm more afraid of what might happen to mine if I don't get vaccines for them.
Sounds like this person has their own opinion on the matter though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Just curious what others think about this and has anyone experienced bad reactions to vaccines?

Vaccinosis - Do Your Research Before You Vaccinate

Old 03-29-2009, 07:18 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
There's always going to be some risk factor any time we medicate or perform a medical procedure on our dogs. Heck, this issue is one we share with the parents of human children.

Interestingly, last week I worked a dinner at the faculty club and the topic was how to tell a (human) patient their medical procedure risk factors without causing them undue stress and anxiety. The patient has to be told,however their increased anxiety after being told also raises their risk factor.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:40 AM

Well, I am strongly against the annual boosters given to dogs. I think that is nothing but a big rip off. I mean seriously, how many annual boosters do humans get?

The only disease I really worry about in puppies in parvo. Yet I'm also reading that some puppies get parvo even after they are vaccinated. I'm sure that Oprah had both her adopted puppies vaccinated. Yet both pups came down with the disease; one died and one was hospitalized for 8 weeks. Is it possible that the vaccinations made their reactions to the disease even worse?

And what about these instances where animals die from reactions to the vaccines themselves? I'm starting to think that the vaccinations are a bigger risk than the diseases.

Is there anyone on the board who has chosen to forgo all vaccinations? Just curious.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:59 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
Quote:

Is there anyone on the board who has chosen to forgo all vaccinations? Just curious.
Which would also be illegal. There is a legal requirement to vaccinate for rabies.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Which would also be illegal. There is a legal requirement to vaccinate for rabies.
Yes, that's true, but some people are forgoing even the rabies. Either that or they are putting it off for as long as possible or vaccinating only on a limited schedule.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Our dog didn't get giardia, bordatella, lepto, corona, and lyme. Our vet simply won't do those and said that even if he got the bordatella vaccine, he can guarantee that if we boarded him, he'd come back with kennel cough. Just too many strains out there. And, we don't plan on doing his boosters. Our vet accepts titers for parvo/distemper. (I completely disagree with titers and believe that they prove nothing, but if it means no vaccine for my boy, I'll do it)

Woof, I completely agree with you. Let's force parents to vaccinate their kids for the same disease every 3 years and see how many comply. We have the studies proving that the rabies vaccine is good for 5-7 years, yet we will be forced to re-vaccinate every 1 or 3 years. It's all about making money.

And as far as parvo goes, we had a huge outbreak just north of us at a dog park. Every single dog there had been vaccinated, and had all the series of the shot. 4 died, 3 almost died; and these weren't puppies. There are something like 17 strains of parvo, and the vaccine covers one of them, the most common as they say. I'm sure that's no consolation to the people whose pets died.

If you can forgo all vaccines for your human child, why not your pet? My 11 year old nephew hasn't been vaccinated at all and is as healthy as can be. His 45 year old father has none either, and is healthier than others his age, suffering from no ailments or diseases. There are exemptions for humans, but not for animals it seems. Unless there are and I'm just not familiar with them.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:01 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times
Quote:
Well, I am strongly against the annual boosters given to dogs. I think that is nothing but a big rip off. I mean seriously, how many annual boosters do humans get?

The only disease I really worry about in puppies in parvo. Yet I'm also reading that some puppies get parvo even after they are vaccinated. I'm sure that Oprah had both her adopted puppies vaccinated. Yet both pups came down with the disease; one died and one was hospitalized for 8 weeks. Is it possible that the vaccinations made their reactions to the disease even worse?

And what about these instances where animals die from reactions to the vaccines themselves? I'm starting to think that the vaccinations are a bigger risk than the diseases.

There are many reasons for vaccine failure. A puppy may be exposed to the disease before it was vaccinated. Then, because of the incubation period it looks as though the vaccine caused the disease or made it worse. A pup's immune system may not be functioning properly at the time a vaccine is administered, thus they don't react as strongly as they should to the vaccine, and don't gain immunity. And even a fully vaccinated puppy can have his immune system overwhelmed if their exposure to the disease is strong enough.

I've given hundreds of vaccines and not yet had one animal die of them. I have seen several puppies die from parvo and even a couple from distemper, as well as animals who have been very sick with lepto. This is just anecdotal evidence (just my own experience) so scientifically it means very little. But vaccines have been studied extensively, and I don't think they'd be approved for use if they were killing more animals than they were saving.

I know you think vaccines are evil no matter what I say, I'm just explaining it for other people.

Quote:
If you can forgo all vaccines for your human child, why not your pet? My 11 year old nephew hasn't been vaccinated at all and is as healthy as can be. His 45 year old father has none either, and is healthier than others his age, suffering from no ailments or diseases. There are exemptions for humans, but not for animals it seems. Unless there are and I'm just not familiar with them.
You may be able to get an exemption for medical reasons from your vet. Rabies is a public health issue. The government is more worried about Fluffy biting the neighbor kid and infecting him with rabies than with Fluffy having a vaccine reaction. It's a big picture thing.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:02 AM

Great post, MAK802. You raise some really good points. And lets not forget the link between autism and vaccinations in people. Very scary.

Here's a definition of vaccinosis according to this article http://www.charlesloopsdvm.com/vaccinosis.htm: (broken link)

Vaccinosis is a disease syndrome caused by a weakness that is precipitated by vaccination. It is becoming rampant in the dog and cat population. Examples of vaccinosis include autoimmune diseases, such as irritable bowel disorders, lupus and pemphigus; hypothyroidism in dogs; eosinophilic skin disorders, hyperthyroidism and asthma in cats; and chronic skin disease or allergic dermatitis in dogs and cats.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
There are many reasons for vaccine failure. A puppy may be exposed to the disease before it was vaccinated. Then, because of the incubation period it looks as though the vaccine caused the disease or made it worse. A pup's immune system may not be functioning properly at the time a vaccine is administered, thus they don't react as strongly as they should to the vaccine, and don't gain immunity. And even a fully vaccinated puppy can have his immune system overwhelmed if their exposure to the disease is strong enough.

I've given hundreds of vaccines and not yet had one animal die of them. I have seen several puppies die from parvo and even a couple from distemper, as well as animals who have been very sick with lepto. This is just anecdotal evidence (just my own experience) so scientifically it means very little. But vaccines have been studied extensively, and I don't think they'd be approved for use if they were killing more animals than they were saving.

I know you think vaccines are evil no matter what I say, I'm just explaining it for other people.
Kansas,

I wanted to open up the topic for discussion so we could all bring information to the table. I don't expect everyone to have the same opinions, so thank you for sharing.

MAK said in an earlier post: "And as far as parvo goes, we had a huge outbreak just north of us at a dog park. Every single dog there had been vaccinated, and had all the series of the shot. 4 died, 3 almost died; and these weren't puppies. There are something like 17 strains of parvo, and the vaccine covers one of them, the most common as they say. I'm sure that's no consolation to the people whose pets died."

Do you have any thoughts on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs