Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is your dog microchiped?
Yes, my dog is microchiped 49 74.24%
No, but I plan to get them microchiped 9 13.64%
No, and I do not plan to get them microchiped 4 6.06%
Other... I will explain in my post 4 6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:36 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times

Advertisements

As a lot of you know, DH and I recently lost our baby boy Brooklyn, and if we had gotten him microchiped, chances are, he would still be with us today. We were going to have him microchiped, but we just thought that because he always had his collar on and he always had up-to-date ID tags, that was good enough. And boy were we wrong! Needless to say, every single dog we ever get, from here on out, will be microchiped, right away! We are also doing some research on tattooing and other forms of ID. We are going to make sure that if anything like what happened to our Brooklyn happens to any of our future dogs, we have the best possible chance of getting them back, safely. And, we also want to try to inspire people, through our story, to get their dogs microchiped, tattooed, etc.

Anyway, I guess I wanted to see how many of you already have your dogs microchiped, how many plan on getting it done, how many are against it, how many have their dogs tattooed or something else, etc. And, I wanted to get everyones opinions on all of these different things. I have found out that quite a few people do not have their dogs microchiped and say they will never have their dogs microchiped, because they are worried that it may cause cancer. I had heard that as well, but I was always under the impression that it was just a myth? When I was looking around on line a while ago I found this...

24PetWatch :: Do Microchips Cause Cancer? (http://www.24petwatch.com/do-microchips-cause-cancer.asp - broken link)
Taken From Text:
Quote:
in the last 10 years, no evidence has been found that in any way demonstrates the existence of a correlation between microchip implantation and incidence of cancer in cats and dogs.
and this...

MICROCHIPS DO NOT CAUSE CANCER « 4urpets
Taken From Text:
Quote:
Millions and millions of microchips have been implanted in cats and dogs. In recent tests, there were only four cases with a link to cancer. Those cases were tested in mice that were prone to cancer
However, there were also sites that said that microchips do cause cancer? Does anyone have any good info on this? Is this true or not?

Some other things I wanted to find out about...

-What brand or type of microchips are the most widely used, or the best?
-How does the tattooing work? Where can you get it done, is it expensive and would you recommend it?
-Are there any other forms of ID that you would recommend or not recommend, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:44 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,536,626 times
Please check out this older thread I started. Both of my dogs are microchipped and I will continue to microchip any pet I get. Ours are chipped with Bayer ResQ...all area shelters have Bayer ResQ universal readers.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...ip-brands.html

Last edited by Amazonchix; 03-23-2009 at 07:08 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 05:54 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Please check out this older thread I started. Both of my dogs are microchipped and I will continue to microchip any pet I get.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...ip-brands.html
Thanks for the link! I will definitely read over it, I am sure that will be a lot of help! I guess I should have searched other, older, threads before posting this one.

But, I did want to know about other forms of ID as well. I know some people that have their pets tattooed and microchiped, and I didn't know if there was anything else that I didn't know of. I want to learn more about microchiping and get peoples opinions on that, as well as see if anyone on here has their pets tattooed, and what their thoughts are on that, etc.

I guess I should have named the thread something different, that way people wouldn't think I was only talking about microchipping, but it's too late to change it now. Anyway, thanks again for the link, I know there has to be a lot of good info there.

Oh, I also wanted to add, for the poll, I voted "No, but I plan to get them microchiped", because at the moment, we don't own a dog. But, as soon as we get another dog, they will be microchiped right away.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:24 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
All of my animals are chipped. Wouldn't do without it!

Edit....All of my vets have used Avid

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 03-23-2009 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 03-23-2009, 06:27 PM

62 posts, read 173,965 times
Got mine chipped and glad I did.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:27 PM

751 posts, read 2,482,202 times
I want to get my girl done I just hadn't taken the time to research it yet. I have two skin boys, ages 7 and 8 and I know one of them is going to let her out the door on accident. If she sees a man, she is going to run away because she is terrified of men. (She is a rescue). I'm sorry you lost your baby, I can only imagine what how devastating that would be.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
I have chipped every cat and dog I've owned since the chips were introduced years ago. When my 2 dogs got out 5 yrs ago, that was the only way I knew one had died when hit by a car - the animal control people read the chip and called me. I promptly put a lock on the gate as it had to be a meter reader that let them out. None of ever suffered any bad reaction.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:11 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,536,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I have chipped every cat and dog I've owned since the chips were introduced years ago. When my 2 dogs got out 5 yrs ago, that was the only way I knew one had died when hit by a car - the animal control people read the chip and called me. I promptly put a lock on the gate as it had to be a meter reader that let them out. None of ever suffered any bad reaction.
Sorry Belle, we had a friend catch a utility worker leave her gate wide open and let him have it! Thankfully her baby was okay. We too lock our gate from the inside. That way all utility workers have to call us in advance and ask permission to gain access to our backyard!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Sorry Belle, we had a friend catch a utility worker leave her gate wide open and let him have it! Thankfully her baby was okay. We too lock our gate from the inside. That way all utility workers have to call us in advance and ask permission to gain access to our backyard!
Wish that theory worked here. I've told our power company that I have dogs to please call ahead before entry, they placed a note on our file. I went to let the dogs out one day to see a worker take a flying leap over the fence when my dogs ran at him

Old 03-23-2009, 07:29 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Wish that theory worked here. I've told our power company that I have dogs to please call ahead before entry, they placed a note on our file. I went to let the dogs out one day to see a worker take a flying leap over the fence when my dogs ran at him
We have a combo lock on our gates. Between rotten little kids who like to open up our gates and utility men....the gates stayed locked until I say so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs