Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:44 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times

Advertisements

Great article about why pets should always have an adoption/re-homing fee.

Wisconsin Puppy Mill Project, Inc.: Why we ask that you not give pets away Free To Good Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Great article! Every time I see a "free to good home" ad on Craigslist, I cringe. And then I e-mail the person and tell them why they should insist on an adoption fee... and then decline it if they want to, if they truly meet good people for their beloved pet.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
If you can't pay a small re-homing fee, how can you afford dog food and vet care? Never ceases to amaze me how dumb some people can be.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:40 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
Unfortunately a lot of pets on CL are sorely neglected and in need of vet care, spaying/neutering, vacc's, grooming, have behavioral problems etc - and those seem to be the ones who are asking ridiculous amounts of $$ to rehome their pet (along with a line "must go tonite"), argh!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:53 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Great article! Every time I see a "free to good home" ad on Craigslist, I cringe. And then I e-mail the person and tell them why they should insist on an adoption fee... and then decline it if they want to, if they truly meet good people for their beloved pet.
boy did I learn the hard way! Years ago, my husband was going to take a job that would demand us both to travel. He wouldn't take the job unless I went with him. The company paid everything. We had a female dog we had to find a good home for. I placed a for free ad in the paper. And the add said, no small children or home with other pets. Everyone, that called for her, had 20 dogs and 30 cats...it was awful..thank God they were honest with me. So I placed an ad which asked 300.00 for a purebred that was AKC registered. A family who had just lost their only dog applied. A very nice family. Meantime, my husband, decided not to take the job...thankfully. It was the only time I would have had to give a dog away...and I tell you true, that dog knew, as when the woman and daughter came to look at her, she jumped up on me and started to shake like crazy. She knew. She absolutely knew.

But, yes, you are 100% right.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
boy did I learn the hard way! Years ago, my husband was going to take a job that would demand us both to travel. He wouldn't take the job unless I went with him. The company paid everything. We had a female dog we had to find a good home for. I placed a for free ad in the paper. And the add said, no small children or home with other pets. Everyone, that called for her, had 20 dogs and 30 cats...it was awful..thank God they were honest with me. So I placed an ad which asked 300.00 for a purebred that was AKC registered. A family who had just lost their only dog applied. A very nice family. Meantime, my husband, decided not to take the job...thankfully. It was the only time I would have had to give a dog away...and I tell you true, that dog knew, as when the woman and daughter came to look at her, she jumped up on me and started to shake like crazy. She knew. She absolutely knew.

But, yes, you are 100% right.
Oh my gosh, that made me sad -- that she jumped up on you and started to shake. She knew. Oh yes, she knew.

But she stayed with you, right? So it's a happy ending. Well, it would have been a happy time for the nice family, just not for you.

And the other posters are bang on too -- if they can't afford the rehoming fee, how on earth are they going to afford food, vet visits, etc... Pets are expensive to maintain! But worth every single penny.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:14 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,668 times
If you wouldn't rehome your kid, you shouldn't rehome your pet. End of story in my opinion.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh my gosh, that made me sad -- that she jumped up on you and started to shake. She knew. Oh yes, she knew.

But she stayed with you, right? So it's a happy ending. Well, it would have been a happy time for the nice family, just not for you.

And the other posters are bang on too -- if they can't afford the rehoming fee, how on earth are they going to afford food, vet visits, etc... Pets are expensive to maintain! But worth every single penny.
yes, she shook...we were all sitting around the kitchen table, and she shyly and very carefully put her two front paws on me, and came up and started to shake like crazy. I was shocked...as she never did that before when we were at the table. I feel the woman and her daughter would have made fine parents...but, thank goodness I didn't have to give her away. I felt bad telling them, b/c they really liked her...and if my husband would have had to take the job, I would have required they come back to visit a few more times, plus I would have asked them if I could come see they're place. But, it all worked out for the best.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
If you wouldn't rehome your kid, you shouldn't rehome your pet. End of story in my opinion.
I had dogs all my life, and never rehomed them..never believed in it...but, you don't understand the entire story and I'm not going to explain.

I hate to tell you this, but today, in this world, with the economy the way it is, there are an awful lot of people having to give up their pets b/c they cannot afford them....I'd rather see them do that, then just abandon them, like so many people are doing.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post

I'd just like to point out that it's - sadly - this is the type of tar that sticks and why the more reasonable and rational among us ("us" being people truly interested in and caring about animal welfare) end up getting lumped together with the lunatic fringe. Annoys the proverbial out of me.

We did have to rehome two of four at one point. We were blessed as circumstances worked out perfectly - one went to our regular pet-sitter and one went to our neighbour (who'd always adored this dog). Both went on to live full, happy lives. The thought of having to advertise.... eek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs