Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,404 times

Advertisements

I have a husky German shepherd mix and when I let her out in the backyard to use the restroom she won't come back in when i call her but she'll come back in for anyone else which doesn't make sense because I'm her only owner.

Does anyone know any tricks to get her to come when I call her?

I have already tried treats and I use a friendly voice every time.

please post anything that may help.thank you!

Last edited by erin523530; 04-13-2009 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 05:07 PM

80 posts, read 278,147 times
Is she a pup or full grown ??? If U didn't get her as a young pup, maybe the previous owner abused her & U may somehow remind her of them....
Did you ever scare her or beat her ??? Sounds like she's scared of you....
Dogs have unbelievable memories....My dog's memory is scary.....
My dog does something similar...I got her as a young pup...
Whenever she see's a guy in a ball cap , she goes ballistic...
She doesn't act that way if the guy isn't wearing a hat...
I never wear them, so I'm thinkin' something happened at the breeders....
I'm assuming that U never abused your dog, but if U did, I wouldn't come if U called me either.....A friendly voice may not be enough...Try a choke chain & a long lead....
Just call her, wait to see if you get a response, then tug gently - DON'T YANK !! ...
It 'll take a while ( and a lot of patience ) but she'll learn, but not overnight... and it's important to keep calm - let her know who's the boss - but don't holler & scream... If U do, she'll only be confused...
When she finally comes to U, have her favorite treat ready & shower her with praise
( it works with females of ALL species )... Expect a few lapses after she learns, but just get the collar give her another training session....
She'll get it, but only if YOU have the time & patience....Good luck....

Old 04-13-2009, 05:18 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin523530 View Post
I have a husky German shepherd mix and when I let her out in the backyard to use the restroom she won't come back in when i call her but she'll come back in for anyone else which doesn't make sense because I'm her only owner.

Does anyone know any tricks to get her to come when I call her?

I have already tried treats and I use a friendly voice every time.

please post anything that may help.thank you!

Sounds like just about every Husky I've ever known. Some common mistakes people make include calling her to come when she doesn't have to. When you're starting to train the 'come' command, don't use it unless you have a leash on her. It might help to start out indoors where there are fewer distractions. Once she's really consistent with the leash, try a few times without the leash. If you call 'come' once and she doesn't come, don't try it again. The more you say 'come' and she doesn't respond, the more it reinforces in her mind that she doesn't have to. Repeating the command over and over to no effect is about the worst thing you can do.

She might be going to other people because they're new and interesting. If you really want her to come, you have to be the most interesting thing around. This may include yummy treats and funny, crazy voices.

And when she does come to you, never ever ever ever correct her at that time. Even if she's run away from you and you've spent half an hour chasing her down. Been there, done that. Coming to you should always be a wonderful experience. Good luck!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:22 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
Never let your dog off the leash unless you know for a fact that she/he responds appropriately to your call. I had the same trouble with my standard poodle. He thought *out* time was time to go exploring and the heck with my schedule or needs, He would go right up to neighbors because they were something new to him, other people to check out. I could *trick* him into coming by driving the car up to him and opening the door. He'd always jump right in, eager to go for a ride!

Use a long or short leash, sometimes I use a 6' lead and sometimes I use a 25' clothesline. He gets his ears scratched every time he responds favorably to my call. There is no *punishment* for an incorrect response - just praise for correct behavior. It takes time and consistency on your part, but if my poodle could learn the concept, any dog can,

Old 04-14-2009, 05:33 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Because the recall is one of the most important (and possibly life-saving) behaviors, many trainers suggest that this is the one behavior that ALWAYS, 100% of the time, gets rewarded with a high-value treat.

Dogs rank their treats, from low to high. Low = a piece of kibble, a Cheerio, a commercial dog biscuit, Medium = carrot, a small bit of apple, High = chicken, cheese or steak. You want this to be a REALLY memorable behavior and reward so you need to use a high-value treat. You can use a really tiny piece, but it's GOT to be GREAT.

This should be given with EVERY successful recall. EVERY TIME. There's also a booklet called 'A Really Reliable Recall.' Welcome to Dogwise.com

Old 04-14-2009, 09:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
One more thing, and this is important enough for its own post:

NEVER, EVER call a dog and then discipline him when he returns to you.

In Central Park, before 9AM, one can have one's dog off leash. I try to go very early with my two and was watching a man try to get his Dalmation to return to him. It was a lesson in what NOT to do:

He was SCREAMING, angrily at the dog, over and over, 'COME.' First, the tone of his voice made ME fearful, much less his dog. Second - ONCE is enough for a command!!! Always!

When he finally caught up with the poor dog he smacked him, HARD, on the nose. Honestly, that man doesn't deserve having a dog, but imagine being the dog and having this creature screaming at you to come and get punished!
Why on earth would the dog ever return????

So, moral of the story: 'Front!' (or 'Come!' or whatever term you choose) is to be said ONCE, in a HAPPY voice and NO discipline when the dog finally gets to you!

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-07-2009 at 06:39 AM..

Old 07-06-2009, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 15,900 times
practice on a 20-30 foot lead in the back yard make sure that you have a high value treat. Call her if she turns to run off gently tug on the leash till she starts making her way back on her own, then drop the leash and let her come back to you, and give her the treat. If she stops as soon as you drop the leash then repeat. As soon as she gets to you make sure that you get a hold of her, by the scruff or harness so that "come" means all the way to me and not just far enough to get a treat. You my also try changing the word that you are using to call her if "come"

Old 07-06-2009, 09:15 PM

5 posts, read 15,900 times
Sorry I am new and still do not have the hang of this, here is what I was trying to say:

practice on a 20-30 foot lead in the back yard make sure that you have a high value treat. Call her if she turns to run off gently tug on the leash till she starts making her way back on her own, then drop the leash and let her come back to you, and give her the treat. If she stops as soon as you drop the leash then repeat. As soon as she gets to you make sure that you get a hold of her, by the scruff or harness so that "come" means all the way to me and not just far enough to get a treat. You my also try changing the word that you are using to call her if "come" comand to her is keep on running you may try "here" or "with me". With time and ALOT of rep. you will have an almost fail proof recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs