Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 07:38 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times

Advertisements

I recently relocated and the neighborhood is very quiet with the exception of one continually barking hound dog. When I previewed the area I saw or heard no dog but after sighing the lease the dog made his presence known. Two dogs, put out everyday at 7:30AM and kept out until about 11:00PM, that bark at everything from a bird to a leaf falling to cars going by and even aircraft. The hound barks to hear himself bark I believe. The barking is loud enough to be heard inside my house.
I know dogs bark and I have no problem with that but barking hours on end for no useful reason is not acceptable. This is just another case of irresponsible pet owners who disregard their neighbors. Unfortunely, it is these type of pet owners that give us all a bad image.
I have a small dog breed know for being yappy. I put the time an effort to train him not to bark unnecessarily. I do not think is fair to others to allow dogs to behave badly. IMO, if you have a dog that is out of control and you cannot train him/her then get a professional trainer. Nuisance barking should never be allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Couldn't agree more. We have one in our neighborhood too!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
I agree and I have a yappy dog. I immediately make her come in though when she starts barking. I cannot abide by dog owners who allow the dog to bark more than a few minutes. Honestly if I were the OP, I would address the issue with the pet owners.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:15 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,631 times
I have a dog, housemate has a dog, a neighbor has 2, and another has 1. None of them are "nuisance" barkers. We've all had our problems at times, but we nip it in the bud.

Then there are the dogs at the other end of the block... they bark ALL the time. I feel sorry for them

Old 04-20-2009, 10:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
That poor dog! Outside all day and halfd the night by himself. He must be lonely and very bored. Can you educate the owner a bit?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:49 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,223 times
I have a bichon. Smartest little dog ever. BUT (and you knew there was one, huh? LOL), he barks at every little thing that moves. He's an inside dog, so no worries that it bothers anyone else but it bothers the HECK out of me.

You mentioned, OP, that you trained your dog not to bark unneccessarily. I'm curious as to how you accomplished that. I've tried everything. Every time a leaf blows outside the window or a bird flies by, he barks. And don't let someone come to the door. OMG, he goes ballistic!!

Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
I have bloodhounds,live in town and not to bad on barking. They have their times when someone walks by and such but mad they not come give them loving. I did have a problem with a neighbor once though. She does not like me and TRIED getting me in trouble for barking dogs. Before put in doggie door was letting them out at 5 30 am into kennel for bathroom breaks before I went to school. Well neighbor girl seen her out on property line annoying them to get them going (caught her in rain). I cured her by keeping dogs in and going out in undies and dropping them giving her rear and frontal views.

y worst problem though is neighbor has a dog lets run wherever whenever and likes coming around and getting my dogs worked up in kennel. I chase it away they calm down.
Our town also has a nuisance dog ordinance that over 15 minutes of barking straight can be given a ticket.

These people above just need to learn dogs do not need to be tied out all day which is cruel in my eyes anyway. Let them out have a doggie door so go in and out nd if not home leave radio on so have human voice to keep calm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs