Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 04:40 PM

489 posts, read 2,016,141 times

Advertisements

Found this for you, Sunny . . . http://www.myitchydog.com/earremedys.html
Maybe you can keep it on hand since it sounds like you could need it again in the future. Also, you know if it IS yeast, you don't get Vagisil! LOLOLOL
MoMark, you are always SO VERY FUNNY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 10:49 AM

341 posts, read 1,487,725 times
As a vet tech I say your vet's the best choice. There are preventative medicines to give your dog to help fight infections. Some breeds are prone to them & they can be VERY painful. Home remedies aren't a good idea. Their hearing could be sacrificed. Knowing the cause & then prevention management is the only way. Good Luck

Old 04-10-2007, 02:03 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,608,823 times
Thanks everyone!.

sunny

Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,815 times
Please don't put any mix of alcohol in your pets ear. Our clinic just switched to Epi-Otic advanced because there's not alcohol in it and we never recommend putting anything with alcohol in the ear. Once the infection does clear up, I would suggest a regular cleaning regimine...I do my own dogs ears every time they get a bath regardless of whether they actually need it. It's not going to hurt them, and then I avoid build up. Many times, build up starts further down in the canal and you can't even see it (though you may smell it if you get close enough) regular cleaning of the ear done correctly will most likely help. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and some dogs will just keep getting infections and there's nothing you can do about it...we have a lot of clients who's dogs swim alot and have constant ear infections...if you have regular swimmers...do your best to dry out the ear some to avoid problems.

Good luck with the ears.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:58 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,365,924 times
I keep several tubes of Panalog just in case an ear infection is beginning. I have used this for years and it works great. Usually you only need one or two applications.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:06 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,954,032 times
You need a DIAGNOSIS before treating. Antibiotics don't treat fungus (yeast) and antifungal agents don't treat bacteria. Bring your dog to a VET for diagnosis. Untreated, or incorrectly treated, these infections can lead to deafness.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,042,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Please don't put any mix of alcohol in your pets ear. Once the infection does clear up, I would suggest a regular cleaning regimine...I do my own dogs ears every time they get a bath regardless of whether they actually need it.
What do you recommend for a regular cleaning regimen? Just wondering.
It was a Colorado vet who recommended I use vinegar/water for a cleaning regimen there, which did work well on my older female (now passed away), and a Florida vet who suggested alcohol/water here in this humid climate.
FWIW
My current dog, who is 3, has only had one ear infection in his life.
He does swim in the summer, but it's in saltwater, if that makes a difference.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:59 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
What do you recommend for a regular cleaning regimen? Just wondering.
It was a Colorado vet who recommended I use vinegar/water for a cleaning regimen there, which did work well on my older female (now passed away), and a Florida vet who suggested alcohol/water here in this humid climate.
FWIW
My current dog, who is 3, has only had one ear infection in his life.
He does swim in the summer, but it's in saltwater, if that makes a difference.

I really like the Epi-Otic Advanced. It is alcohol free and you can use it as much as you want. I think it's really important to dry your dogs ears after they swim (especially breeds with floppy ears that will stay moist long after they're out of the water) I have 2 goldens and after they swim, I rinse with the Epi-Otic, and then I bathe them (to get the sand and salt water off them) and then I dry them off and pay alot of attention to the ear flap and the ear opening....going in a safe bit, but not digging deep into the ear. Both of my dogs are big swimmers, and we have only had one ear infection a piece in their lives (one is 10 1/2 and the other will be 5 next week) so it seems to work well for us.

The clinic where I work used to carry MANY different types of ear cleaning solutions, but now Epi-Otic is the only one we carry...we have other products to treat infected ears etc, but as a regular maintenance product, this is all we carry now.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:24 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,819,923 times
Unless you are certain what kind of infection it is I would hesitate to self treat...it could be mites, bacteria or yeast. If you know for sure (because your dog has had one before and it's the same) you can use monostat 7day (generic one is cheaper) for yeast, revolution for mites (you need a Rx for this) and antibiotic drops for bacteria (also Rx). So you are best going to the vet for cytology. Also they will clean the dogs ears well and then you can just buy ear wipes at Petsmart or someplace and use them once a week to keep the ears clean.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 7,964 times
I think the cause is from dog ear mites.

Dog Ear Mites Symptoms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs