Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:29 PM

751 posts, read 2,482,773 times

Advertisements

A member of the boxer dog forum I am a member of posted this story - it happened to a friend of his. The humane society put down his pure bred boxer in less then an hour of it being brought in!

http://www.mountaineagle.com/index.c...D88B8C88FD7173
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:53 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,555 times
The article doesn't say if the dog was chipped or had a tag... I'm guessing no on both counts. Also, the Humane Society isn't run by the county and isn't a pound so those laws don't really apply. I can see taking Reno to the wall if it turns out she has something against certain breeds but that is about it.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:59 PM

452 posts, read 1,724,341 times
Devastating!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 04:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,358,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
A member of the boxer dog forum I am a member of posted this story - it happened to a friend of his. The humane society put down his pure bred boxer in less then an hour of it being brought in!

http://www.mountaineagle.com/index.c...D88B8C88FD7173
disgusting story! they didn't even attempt to find out if the dog was a lost pet or not! what if the owner had called in an alert about his missing dog but they never checked it! I can understand that shelters are overpopulated, but it should be illegal for animals to be put down in less than 24 hours unless there is some extreme circumstance.

this is why people should get pets microchipped since I don't trust collars alone since so many people seem to just disregard them or they get removed. though I wonder if this shelter would have even bothered checking for a chip if the poor dog had one considering the rush they were in to destroy it. I wonder why the rush anyway. if the dog was nervous and snapped or growled, that shouldn't be a good enough reason to put it down so fast. a lot of good dogs flip out when they come close to a shelter or vet, doesn't mean they're vicious

Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,125,373 times
What a sad story. A similar situation happened at our local shelter but the lawsuit by the dogs owner was dismissed by the court.

My Bostons and Frenchie are the sweetest, well behaved and mannerly dogs I've ever had but I know they'd react badly under the same circumstances. Shelters, pounds, etc. are not exactly welcoming and hospitable places - you'd think personnel at these places would know how stressful it is for a dog. Mine would be scared out of their minds and I'd be frickin furious if they were put down within hours.

I'm so sorry about your friends Boxer.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:29 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,592,604 times
How wretched! Stories like this make me so upset! Of course a dog is going to act aggressive in a strange environment with people it does not know...!!! Then again, I would never leave my dogs alone in the yard around here (even though they are chipped & obviously well-cared for) because there is too much risk of some knucklehead kid either stealing, poisoning, or letting them out of the gate just for kicks. The people who found him should have had the dog screened for a chip at the very least before dumping him off that way...shame on them! (My mom happened upon a pair of dogs recently, and it was a weekend so no regular vets were open. She walked them around the neighborhood, hoping to catch the owners eye, but no luck...so she waited until the following Monday, had them screened, and because they were chipped she was able to get the address of the owners, an elderly couple that were crying tears of joy at having their beloved dogs returned to them safely.) People should not take loose dogs on if they are unwilling to try to find the rightful owners first...it is a great disservice to the dogs and to the humans who love them.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:36 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,383,807 times
How is it that an elderly couple managed to get the dog into the pet taxi (I assume that means a crate) and yet the experienced, trained, professionals could not handle it and deemed it vicious?

I'd like to think that this sort of thing was very rare but after reading Redemption by Nathan Winograd I know it is more like the norm at far too many "shelters".

When I attended the National No Kill Conference earlier this month I came home from DC feeling very hopeful but stories like this make it hard to believe that we could acheive No Kill in just s few years.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:41 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,050,961 times

and finding a dog over the weekend ..... if there is an emergency vet clinic nearby, they can also scan for chips......

man oh man, i KNOW how my girl would react if taken to a pound or humane society...... pure-d terror on her part........

Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,915,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
How is it that an elderly couple managed to get the dog into the pet taxi (I assume that means a crate) and yet the experienced, trained, professionals could not handle it and deemed it vicious?

I'd like to think that this sort of thing was very rare but after reading Redemption by Nathan Winograd I know it is more like the norm at far too many "shelters".

When I attended the National No Kill Conference earlier this month I came home from DC feeling very hopeful but stories like this make it hard to believe that we could acheive No Kill in just s few years.
Despite the experience and training of shelter staff, the entire experience of being in a shelter is traumatic for many dogs. The smells, noise, activity level--the whole environment can cause even a normally well-adjusted dog to behave in an agitated way. Excited dogs can become aggressive dogs, so the staff often uses a rabies pole to restrain the dog for their own protection. This causes more agitation and the end result is a dog that will not be deemed adoptable.

It's regrettable, but this often happens. The dogs that are calm get another chance. They may be totally shut down from stress, but if they don't act up they may pass the "temperament test." The excitable, scared dogs that express their fear--sweet as they might normally be--are quickly dispatched. It's heartbreaking.

We live in a culture that is eager to place blame and quick to sue. Decisions are often made based on potential liability and not what is right or appropriate. Municipal shelters are underfunded. Private shelters often have no oversight. Rescues try, but space is limited.

There are SO many issues that need to be addressed to make No Kill a reality in this country.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:55 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,054,854 times
Is a capture pole a long pole with a loop on the end?

I watched in horror as an animal catcher tried to loop a deer which was trapped in my back yard with something that looked like that. The poor animal was so terrified of that pole that it kept running full force into the fence trying to get away from it. In the end, the poor deer had to be euthanized.

The article said that the dog freaked out when they tried to catch it with that pole... so apparently animals deserve to die when they instinctively react out of fear of man's devices.

poor animals....

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-28-2009 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs