Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
I just want to insure my boxer has plenty of fresh water this summer while we are traveling on weekends!
Hi.

I have no knowledge about the original topic (but now I do), but I'm curious...

How long is your dog left alone (outside or inside) on weekends that you're traveling? If you're gone for an extended period, isn't someone coming over to give your dog food... and water?

Old 06-08-2009, 08:55 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hi.

I have no knowledge about the original topic (but now I do), but I'm curious...

How long is your dog left alone (outside or inside) on weekends that you're traveling? If you're gone for an extended period, isn't someone coming over to give your dog food... and water?
Travel on weekends means we are gone for the weekend! That would be two days..............nobody checks on my dogs and I leave them plenty of food. I would not go anywhere and leave long enough to starve them. My dogs drink alot of water in the summer. Is it so bad that I want to make sure they get enough water. Or maybe you should report me to the SPCA. They would laugh at you!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
Travel on weekends means we are gone for the weekend! That would be two days..............nobody checks on my dogs and I leave them plenty of food. I would not go anywhere and leave long enough to starve them. My dogs drink alot of water in the summer. Is it so bad that I want to make sure they get enough water. Or maybe you should report me to the SPCA. They would laugh at you!
That IS to long IMO. I agree the animal control would do nothing. That does not make it right. SAD.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:14 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
I happen to agree with Driller on this point: too long!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
There are some nasties that can accumulate in the AC runoff, especially from window units. The AC fans chop up insect parts that then stew in the warm condensate, along with various algaes. Need I say more?
^^^Problem with the above being that the condensate the OP is talking about does not come from the condenser unit but rather the evaporator. There would be no way to have stewed insect parts communicate between the outdoor and indoor units.

However, I would agree that there are better ways to water the dog than from the A/C runoff. Go up in the attic and look at the pan under your evaporator coil. It will be quite nasty. Would you drink that?

If you personally would drink collected rainwater from a downspout, then I don't think anyone could fault you for expecting your dog to do the same. That said, there are some inexpensive and commonly available items that would solve your problem.

You may want to look at some "self watering" systems that could be easily plumbed by a modestly handy man. Others would require nothing more than attaching a thread connection to the outdoor spigot. Eco friendly is great, but I would much rather find a way to provide my dog with clean water from my house supply lines.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 AM

399 posts, read 2,253,423 times
I have seen those attachments you put on the faucet outside. The dog licks the top and more water comes out....kind of like a rabbit bottle but hooked up to a running water source. Anybody use one?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
I have seen those attachments you put on the faucet outside. The dog licks the top and more water comes out....kind of like a rabbit bottle but hooked up to a running water source. Anybody use one?
You read my mind!
Cheap enough!

Lixit Faucet Waterer for Dogs

Old 06-08-2009, 09:58 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking as well.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:02 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Great minds.....
Even if it leaks alittle bit, you could put a good size pan underneath to catch the water...dog could drink from there too...(if it didn't sit too long)

Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I would question if the water would be cold. Water get VERY hot in a hose. It is not like the dog could let it run a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs