Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:47 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,402 times

Advertisements

Our friends are having a huge problem with neighbor's dogs attacking fence to try to get at their dogs or anyone in the yard. They share this fence, and they have talked to the neighbor to no avail. The neighbor's dogs lunge at the fence repeatedly, all day long, barking, digging and agitating friends' dogs and people. The neighbor is new, and it is his dogs starting the problems. There have never been problems with friends' dogs and other neighbors' dogs. What can they do? If these dogs get through the fence, there will be a huge dog fight or someone could be bitten. Oddly enough, these are very aggressive (and irritatingly loud) little dogs and not even a typically feisty breed. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 10:05 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
If they are barking non stop it could be against a city ordinance. They should try calling animal control and any city department like code or neighborhood enforcement.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:08 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
Electrify the fence! What kind of dog are they ? You kind of give the impression that they are very small dogs.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:14 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Electrify the fence! What kind of dog are they ? You kind of give the impression that they are very small dogs.
hehehehe. There you go. It won't hurt them but it will keep them off. You can find the elec dog fences at Home Depot and Lowes.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:29 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
Get a few sections of stockade (privacy) fence & put up along the common part of the fence. The dogs may react differently if they can not see what is on the other side. Even if they continue to be a problem, they would have to get through 2 fences to cause a fight.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:15 PM

341 posts, read 1,486,905 times
Definitely call the local police department. They will go over and speak to the owner. Do it when you know they're home & request the officer meet at your home first so you can SHOW him what the dogs are doing. He will go over & 'discuss' it with the owner as a possible liability for THEM. It's usually enough to move the owners into action. Afterwards document any events, wait 48 to 72 hours & report them again. Then it'll become a more serious matter for them through the PD. I have encountered this before. Animal control can only intervene if they get through the fence.
Coyote/Vet Tech

Old 04-21-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I don't know what kind of dog they are, but they are little. When I went to my friend's house yesterday, one of the dogs had actually barked so much that it was hoarse. My friend is so fed up with the problem, and none of my suggestions (making friends with the dogs, spraying them with water, shaking a can filled with pennies when they bark) have worked either. So, I thought I would ask all of you.

My friend has a wooden privacy fence, so the dogs can just see through knot holes. They considered an electric fence --actually were going to borrow an old one that we have--, but putting it on their side of the fence won't stop the dogs from jumping on the neighbor's side of the fence (or stop the barking). It will help if they break through at the right point or dig under, so I'll bring it up again.

The city is not very good about code enforcement, so that isn't an option, though it should be. Friends were hoping not to get a Hatfields and McCoys situation started with the new neighbor by calling the police, but it may be necessary as a last result.

It is just so frustrating that some people choose to have pets, but they don't take the responsibility of training them.
Thank you all for your speedy replies!

Old 04-21-2007, 06:50 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,129 times
Video tape it and report it to dog control and whoever else will listen and help you! Good luck, sounds horrible!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:55 PM

341 posts, read 1,486,905 times
Checking in again. I've gone thru this twice. First time a Bull Terrier was determined to come through our adjoining fence. We warned the neighbor. The dog made it through when we weren't home. We found a FEW pieces of him. He met our 139 lb registered white wolf.

Second time it was 2 yappy little dogs. They barked all hours. (Shih tzu & a Lhasa). The people were from Jersey (we were in Phoenix) and didn't wish to discuss it. I called the police two or three times A DAY for 4 days until the cops got fed up. The dogs disappeared by weeks end. Hmmmm Guess being a nuisance to the PPD paid off hehehe!

Old 04-21-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Video tape it and report it to dog control and whoever else will listen and help you! Good luck, sounds horrible!
Great idea! Thanks! I guess I'd better call my friends and tell them to go on a stake out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs