Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 08:45 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

Yup, it's always about Artie's poop. Always...

Back history
Artie is grain intolerant and eats Wellness Core and Taste of the Wild (venison/bison)

He has had a history of soft poops. Much less so on the grain-free food, but sometimes he still has them.

The only way that I can pretty much guarantee a hard poop is to give him some cheese. Maybe it's the calcium, I'm not sure, but cheese = firm poop.

For treats, he gets chicken jerky strips, liver snacks, baby carrots and green beans. He also eats pig's ears, but I haven't given him one in the past week because I thought that might have been the cause of the problem.

What problem? you ask. This one...

Problem
Over the past number of weeks, Artie has sporadically had BLOOD in his poop. The first time I saw it, I thought "Sure, he and his Lab puppy friends were eating from that raspberry bush and now I have proof!" I didn't think any more of it figuring it would take a few poops to get it out of his system.

But the raspberry feast was a number of weeks ago and he has sporadically had "red stuff" (which I'm now I'm assuming is blood!) at the end of his poop. It's always at the end, just a few little gobs of it, but it's NOT every poop.

Every time he's had 2 or 3 bloodless poops in a row, I thought, "Great. It's done and gone." And then, GRRRR, he'll have another with blood.

I brought a poop sample into the vet and they tested it. Nothing. Negative. He's fine (for whatever they tested for).

And then, just now, he had another poop... with 2 little globs of blood at the end of it.

I just changed his annual vet visit from August 29 to THIS Saturday.

He's acting his "normal" self. He's eating fine. Everything is normal (or as normal as Artie CAN be!) except for this bloody poop.

Questions
Since his poop sample tested fine, do you have any idea what the vet will do when we go in on Saturday?

More importantly, does anyone have any idea of what the heck is going on? I'll be speaking to my vet, obviously, on Saturday but I'm curious to know if any of you have experienced this before with your dog.

Thanks,
Dawn

Last edited by DawnMTL; 08-05-2009 at 09:08 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 08:58 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
The vet will relieve you of some money, most likely.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:03 AM

Jimbo -- the stool test was negative but, your money guess, I'm positive about!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
DId the sample you brought in have the red stuff on it? If not, they may have missed the blood if he only does it sometimes. I have a dog who has bouts of hemorrhagic diarrhea (smells worse than anything I've ever smelled, incl dead animals). He gets an antibiotic when it happens and for about 8 months, he got one pill daily. It's since cleared up but can be very difficult to erradicate. Hope that is NOT what Artie has. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
DId the sample you brought in have the red stuff on it? If not, they may have missed the blood if he only does it sometimes. I have a dog who has bouts of hemorrhagic diarrhea (smells worse than anything I've ever smelled, incl dead animals). He gets an antibiotic when it happens and for about 8 months, he got one pill daily. It's since cleared up but can be very difficult to erradicate. Hope that is NOT what Artie has. Good luck!
I did bring one with blood in it. It was more than 24 hours old (from Sunday morning; brought it in on Monday morning) but they said that they were able to test it.

Actually, I DO hope that he has what your dog had because all that's going through my mind is SURGERY! SURGERY! SURGERY! CANCER! CANCER! SURGERY!

If it's "just" a matter of giving him an antibiotic, I'll be VERY relieved.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Does he have any other symptoms? It could be hookworms, or something like Coccidiosis, which is pretty common. Or has he gotten into something, ie, eaten something that could have been toxic?

Old 08-05-2009, 09:36 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Does he have any other symptoms? It could be hookworms, or something like Coccidiosis, which is pretty common. Or has he gotten into something, ie, eaten something that could have been toxic?
That's a good point. Is coccidiosis the bug they can pick up from mouthing/chewing/eating dead birds?

Old 08-05-2009, 09:37 AM

Shelbygirl1 -- That's what's so weird and why I'm not in full-out panic mode (although my husband would dispute that) -- he has NO other symptoms. Everything is fine. If I didn't pay so close attention to his poop, and didn't notice the blood, I'd have no idea that anything was wrong.

There's nothing else odd in his stool (like worms).

I can't imagine that he ate anything toxic, either. He does spend time out in the backyard and I can't watch every single thing he gets into, but I can't imagine anything in the yard that wasn't there last month or last year.

UGH!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 AM

Oh, and wouldn't they have determined worms or Coccidiosis from testing his stool sample? That came back as negative.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
is there a canine version of irritable bowel syndrome (ibs)? i know that humans with ibs are most often lactose intolerant as well ..... could parallel with artie's being grain intolerant ..... or i might just be reaching......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs