Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 AM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,344,077 times

Advertisements

Good luck!

I know there have been ailments in both my canine and human family members that were really mysterious and aggravating but over time did resolve. Sometimes we had an "ah-ha" moment and other times we never did figure it out. Hope this is just a passing phase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 10:04 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Me too!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
try the dog group on city data. some very generous vets and experienced techs who share. I'm sorry your pooch is having problems but please don't blame it on NC. Any of these things could have happened in any location. And surely replacing carpets with hardwoods would be cheaper than moving? Hope your dog gets better soon.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:25 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
I think this topic would be better addressed in the Dogs forum, so I'm moving it there.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:26 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,720 times
Other things that came to mind - are you in a brand new house, existing home and if so what is the age? Granted we got our dog while in NC but no issues yet. We have an 9 year old home. If you live in a house that is 30 years and up could be issues with lead based paint etc.. Anyone in the house getting sick or not feeling right since moving there? Just throwing ideas out there. Hope you find what is wrong, good luck with the search

Old 09-14-2009, 11:17 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,835 times
Interesting topic. When we moved from NoVa to Raleigh in 2007, our dog developed the worst allergies! And he had never exhibited any symptoms when we lived in VA.

We've since moved to Charlotte, and the problem has completely gone away.

Who knows what the problem was in Raleigh. I know pollen was a huge factor, but we also lived in a condo building, so it could have been anything - cleaning products used by our neighbors, cleaning products used in the common areas of the building, landscaping...

I wish I could offer more advice to you, so I will close by simply saying I hope your doggie feels better soon.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
If you are at $3K in vet bills and climbing, it might be cheaper to re-do the floors in the rooms with travertine or wood. I did my bedroom and walk-in closet with quarter-sawn oak (very expensive, cheaper oak available) foo $2500. It's a very large area, almost the same size as my living/dining room. Many people, including myself, have allergies and can't have carpet in the house.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's a lab/shepard mix. We thought about the carpet allergy too. Not sure what we can do about that except for move, which seems to be the next step on the list. Frustrating that we'd need to sell our house to accommodate our dog.
changed it to alleviate her anal glad problems, which worked thank goodness.
What about area rugs in the rooms she spends the most time in? Might not take care of 100% of it, but maybe 90%?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:03 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Yeah we were coereced into the Hills Science diet hypoallergenic food the vet sells but after doing some research and seeing her response we found a much better food for half the price. We use a fish formula now from Dick Van Pattens that stopped her anal gland problems cold. We too have eliminated all treats except the ones my wife makes now or anything fish based - she is allergic to chicken and beef.

We're thinking of trying Bowman animal hospital next.

Our Kramer the wonder dog has been scratching since we moved here as well. Changed food, oatmeal shampoo, flea / hot spot spray, raw apple cider vinegar, etc etc...

We now believe that it is outside--possibly those little "no-see-ums"?

Have you been to Bowman? We have heard some good things about the place....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs