Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:17 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,383 times

Advertisements

Hi dog people,
I just wanted to "share" ... my dog was mauled today by two huge rottweilers mixes.
They came onto the property i'm living on and were after the chickens.
I went out with my my dog this a.m. to drink my tea in the sun but before i got to my spot to sit these dogs were on mine and they were in for the kill.
My dog is a sweet, loving and friendly border collie and is not aggressive.
The two dogs had her cornered and then she tried to get away and they wouldn't let her.
Then she went down on her back and submitted and they mauled her.
She has a big deep puncture wound on her neck and a bite in her hind quarter ... on the inside it's punctured and on the outside it's almost punctured but with a huge bruise.
This all happened really fast and i was yelling at the dogs and then called for a man that lives on the property and he came running and the dogs took off.
If someone hadn't have been there to stop this, i know they would have killed her.
I'm so upset.
We've been to the vet and she's stitched up and still dopey from the sedative and has a lamp shade thingy on her head.
I learned this evening who the dogs belong to and also learned that these dogs attacked a woman who fought them off with a chair.
For some reason she didn't report the attack.
The woman that owns one of the dogs is 80 years old and is in total denial and insists that her dog never leaves the property.
The other dog belongs to a tenant who, get this, is a sex offender.
I live on a really nice street with quiet and mellow people, lots of chickens, goats, horses and dogs so it's a bit strange that he's there ... i guess it's strange that they're anywhere.
Apparently he spent 9 years in prison for child molestation.
Man!
Anyway, people in the neighborhood are learning of this attack on my dog and action is going to be taken.
I love dogs .... love them ... but these two creatures are "hell hounds" and i think they gotta go.
My dog could have been killed.
Anyway, that's my story.
I dont' like that i'm going to be part of a euthanasia trip but how can i not be?
The next attack could result in a death of a dog, a child or a grown person.
I know you don't know me ... i've only posted a few times but i just needed to tell this story as a way of processing what happened.
I'm also nervous about that lamp shade collar.
She's already pulled it off once.
Is there any alternative to it?
Is there any way ... any "trick" to keep her from scratching the wound on her neck or pulling the stitches out of the wound on her inner thigh?
Just wondering.
I mean, they can put a man on the moon ......
Just seems there should be something better but probably not.
Thanks all.
I'm sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Hi dog people,
I just wanted to "share" ... my dog was mauled today by two huge rottweilers mixes.
They came onto the property i'm living on and were after the chickens.
I went out with my my dog this a.m. to drink my tea in the sun but before i got to my spot to sit these dogs were on mine and they were in for the kill.
My dog is a sweet, loving and friendly border collie and is not aggressive.
The two dogs had her cornered and then she tried to get away and they wouldn't let her.
Then she went down on her back and submitted and they mauled her.
She has a big deep puncture wound on her neck and a bite in her hind quarter ... on the inside it's punctured and on the outside it's almost punctured but with a huge bruise.
This all happened really fast and i was yelling at the dogs and then called for a man that lives on the property and he came running and the dogs took off.
If someone hadn't have been there to stop this, i know they would have killed her.
I'm so upset.
We've been to the vet and she's stitched up and still dopey from the sedative and has a lamp shade thingy on her head.
I learned this evening who the dogs belong to and also learned that these dogs attacked a woman who fought them off with a chair.
For some reason she didn't report the attack.
The woman that owns one of the dogs is 80 years old and is in total denial and insists that her dog never leaves the property.
The other dog belongs to a tenant who, get this, is a sex offender.
I live on a really nice street with quiet and mellow people, lots of chickens, goats, horses and dogs so it's a bit strange that he's there ... i guess it's strange that they're anywhere.
Apparently he spent 9 years in prison for child molestation.
Man!
Anyway, people in the neighborhood are learning of this attack on my dog and action is going to be taken.
I love dogs .... love them ... but these two creatures are "hell hounds" and i think they gotta go.
My dog could have been killed.
Anyway, that's my story.
I dont' like that i'm going to be part of a euthanasia trip but how can i not be?
The next attack could result in a death of a dog, a child or a grown person.
I know you don't know me ... i've only posted a few times but i just needed to tell this story as a way of processing what happened.
I'm also nervous about that lamp shade collar.
She's already pulled it off once.
Is there any alternative to it?
Is there any way ... any "trick" to keep her from scratching the wound on her neck or pulling the stitches out of the wound on her inner thigh?
Just wondering.
I mean, they can put a man on the moon ......
Just seems there should be something better but probably not.
Thanks all.
I'm sad.
I'm so sorry about what happened to your dog. That's terrible! Thanks god she is still alive. I don't know very much about dogs. but hopefully she won't have to have the collar in for a long time. I wonder if anything can be done about the owners of the dogs that attacked your dog.

I had a dog as a child and one say when coming home from the grocery store a pit bull ran up and attacked my dog, hurt him pretty bad, bit my Sister and my Mom too. I have no idea whatever happened to the dog. Our dog ended up pulling through okay.

I just wanted to offer moral support for you and your doggy xxxx

Old 09-15-2009, 12:01 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsncharms View Post
I'm so sorry about what happened to your dog. That's terrible! Thanks god she is still alive. I don't know very much about dogs. but hopefully she won't have to have the collar in for a long time. I wonder if anything can be done about the owners of the dogs that attacked your dog.

I had a dog as a child and one say when coming home from the grocery store a pit bull ran up and attacked my dog, hurt him pretty bad, bit my Sister and my Mom too. I have no idea whatever happened to the dog. Our dog ended up pulling through okay.

I just wanted to offer moral support for you and your doggy xxxx
Thank you
She just has to wear the lamp shade collar until the stitches come out which should be in 10 days.
And she'll get used to it.
I will report the attack to animal control tomorrow and other neighbors will get pro-active about this.
It's the kind of neighborhood where no-one will tolerate this kind of thing.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:05 AM

354 posts, read 1,281,348 times
How horrible for you! Unfortunately it isn't that uncommon but in your wonderful community it had to be a most ugly surprise. The offending dogs may not need to be euthanized but can not be allowed to run loose.

It was great that the dogs got run off before they did more damage. For your own and your dog's protection you may want to have some of that pepper spray from hell that they make especially for such circumstances. It is an awful feeling when you can not protect your dog from a vicious assault.

Submission is a bad move before a predator. I was walking my dog and heard a woman hollering and come to find out her puppy submitted to a coyote. Fortunately it was only bit on the leg.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:08 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Thank you
She just has to wear the lamp shade collar until the stitches come out which should be in 10 days.
And she'll get used to it.
I will report the attack to animal control tomorrow and other neighbors will get pro-active about this.
It's the kind of neighborhood where no-one will tolerate this kind of thing.
I'm so sorry about your dog. I understand how you'd rather not be a party to the 2 dogs possible being put down, but it is something that has to be done. I'd feel the same as you. I'd just have to think of the damage done to my dog, and anyone else in the future. Since you have the support of the neighborhood, it'll help to make it easier to do what you must to see that these dogs don't cause anymore harm.

Keep us updated.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:15 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Oh no, I'm so sorry for you and your fur-baby. TG you were there to get help to run them off. I love dogs and I have an APBT but he is not violent. Dogs that attack people are pretty much beyond help. If the old woman won't keep them confined very tightly, they will have to be PTS, IMO.

Keep strong!

Old 09-15-2009, 03:10 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,291,087 times
I am so sorry for your injured baby and you.
I just don't understand it. I've had 2 different neighbors, in 2 different states, in 2 different settings; 1 suburban and on rural, who had rotties, and they were the most friendly creatures.
One was so silly they called him Dopie. The other was in a home with kids, the youngest 2 yrs old.
He was the gentlest beast.
I would not have waited to call Animal Control til today. I would have called the police immediately upon return from the hospital.
At least you have the vet report.
Once these dogs attack, know this will not be an isolated incident, and it hasn't been. Even if the previous attack was not initially reported, you need to make sure the authorities know about it and get an actual statement from that 80 year old woman.
Good luck, hugs to you both. Be careful - of the dogs and the man.
And keep us posted.

I really think it's an owner issue. I would not have waited to call

Old 09-15-2009, 05:32 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
So sorry this has happened.

For the stitches on her thigh, if you can find an infant onesie that fits, cut a hole in it for her tail and you're done: she won't be able to get to the stitches.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:53 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,283 times
I'm sorry about what happen to your dog. I hope she feels better soon.

You can roll up a towel and wrap it around her neck and tape it. Use a strong tape like duct tape. She may tolerate that better as it should be more comfortable.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:04 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,884 times
I'm so glad you were able to get the attack stopped!
Report the attack to the police.
Submit the bill to the owners of the dogs. Their homeowners insurance should cover it. Also, their homeowners insurance may not allow them to have Rottweilers, I know ours won't. (not that I agree with a sanction against any breed, but in this case you could use it to your advantage if there is one)
Find out the laws in your state/county/town, and use them to your advantage if you can. In my town there is no law broken if a dog attacks another dog, yet homeowners insurance will pay for damages done by my dog (for example)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs