Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:38 AM

43 posts, read 128,972 times

Advertisements

I've been mad trying to train my dog not to jump on people. Last week it was working smoothly and it din't jump on people anymore but then when i went on a holiday and came back it started jumping again..... I used to do this steps :

1)When I go out to do something with my dog.
2)The dog jumps on me.
3)I say the sit command.
4)For me, it sits. Praise it. But if it sits and you start walking and it jumps again.
5)I say sit again. I praise it again.
6)It doesn't jump anymore.
7)When i'm done doing something with it, and im going back in the house, it comes running to the door and then BANG! it hits the door and jumps on me and the door again and again.
8)I say sit. It doesn't so I say sit again. If it doesn't work I'll say sit until it sits and stay.
9)When it won't jump on me, I say Stay. It stays and when im inside the house, i give it a treat and praise it.

It works. But after when you go back and play with it another time it jumps on you again .... I've been doing the same thing again and again. The dog also has been doing the same thing again and again. Its been a 2 months already and it still jumps on people. Can any of you give me another Training Step to end this?

Kthxbye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 10:20 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Hehe.... look at your process.

The dog jumps. That causes you to give the sit command. Which then gets the dog praise!

Doggy logic: Jump + sit = reward! WINNAR!

*Before* the dog jumps, hold him down by his collar and praise. If he jumps walk away (deny the reward). You have to take away the reward.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:28 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I agree with scarmig.....Your Training is Backward!! Dont give the dog a chance to jump put him on sit or down 1st & praise that Not the jumping!

Old 10-17-2009, 10:49 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
I'm working on this with my dog, too. I read somewhere that first you need to train the dog to jump up on command (pat yourself on the chest and say "up"), then give the command "off", and reward them when they comply. It seems to be working with my dog to some extent, as now when I come into the house and she comes barreling toward me I say "off" and she doesn't jump. But she still gets way over-excited when other people come over, so we'll see how it goes.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:58 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,136,606 times
A neighbor of mine had a trainer tell to have people turn their back to the dog everytime time it jumps. Dont pet him, just turn your back. I did that everytime he did it when I went to her house and everytime he jumped I turned around. When he sat, without command, I would turn back around, pet him on the head and walk away. Believe me, it was hard cause he was a beautiful yound golden retreiver and I wanted to play and love on him everytime I laid eyes on him. But his owners are older and they have older guests and a full grown golden will knock many people over. Give it a try and see if it works. Dont look at them either, or give him any treats. He doesnt jump when I visit now. He greets me at the front door wagging is tail, sits down and offer a hand shake! I love it. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2009, 04:00 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,236 times
Dogs want to please you. Sam was so excited to see me, he almost could not help himself. So, I had to "help" him, I would hold him down, utnil the "excitement" of seeing me was over for him, and he could control himself again. He grew out this, it was a puppy thing. Sometimes, dogs have to mature, before they are able to "get" it.

Last edited by kek1993; 10-17-2009 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-17-2009, 04:02 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Electronic training collar.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:32 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Way back when, I had a dog training book and it said to knee the dog in the chest when he would jump up and give a firm "no!" The dog didn't like this too much. Startled him, but didn't hurt him. Aversion therapy, I guess you'd call it.

Probably not politically correct today, but dang it, it sure worked like a charm. Only took a couple of corrections for the dog not to jump up.

I never used the second suggestion, which was stepping on the dog's rear paw and saying a firm "no!" That sounded painful--and cruel.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:57 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
To add, the dog needs to learn to sit and STAY. Also, to lay down. Put a leash on the dog in the house then you will have more control.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
We had limited success with raising our knees. That taught him to not jump on us, but he'd still jump on visitors because our friends refused to raise their knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs