Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times

Advertisements

I have a call in to my vet, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here. My dog is about 3 years old (she is a rescue that I have had for 2 years, so I'm not sure of her exact age) and weighs over 80 pounds. I recently retired and so have been able to walk her much more often than in the past when much of her exercise was limited to our large back yard. We now go almost daily to state and local parks and walk the trails through the woods, and as a result this fall she has developed a flea problem - something we have never had before. My vet put her on Advantage about 3 weeks ago, but this week I've noticed that she seems to be itching again, and I just found a flea on her. Can I use this product safely more than once a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:27 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
I use Advantage Multi (for dogs) and apply it to my dog every 3 weeks or so. So...more than once a month. My vet says it's fine.

You should probably call and ask YOUR vet just to be sure.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:21 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
Some dogs need it more then once a month. Putting a call into your vet is still a good idea.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:26 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
You can put it on once a month. If she's only been on it for 3 weeks, then I wonder if the fleas you are seeing are those that are just now hatching out and jumping onto her. It will probably take a few months to completely clear your home of fleas if you are just treating her and not the whole environment. Fleas are nasty little buggers and they set up housekeeping lightening-fast!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
You can put it on once a month. If she's only been on it for 3 weeks, then I wonder if the fleas you are seeing are those that are just now hatching out and jumping onto her. It will probably take a few months to completely clear your home of fleas if you are just treating her and not the whole environment. Fleas are nasty little buggers and they set up housekeeping lightening-fast!
I was wondering about that. I hadn't noticed them anywhere in the house, but it might be smart to treat the house as well. The vet didn't really recommend anything for that. Any suggestions for something that is effective yet safe?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Yes, check with your vet first, but during peak summer season here our vet had us dosing 10% over the standard amount and dosing every 3 weeks. And even that didn't keep us from having them. Fleas suck, LOL.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:07 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I was wondering about that. I hadn't noticed them anywhere in the house, but it might be smart to treat the house as well. The vet didn't really recommend anything for that. Any suggestions for something that is effective yet safe?
I use foggers every six months or so - they're available quite readily in supermarkets while your vet probably carries them too. You just have to close up the house, set the foggers off and leave the house for a couple of hours - the directions are easy to follow and they do the trick. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:19 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Agree on the foggers. And in another 2 weeks or so, use them again. You've got to break the cycle of the eggs hatching. The Advantage can only do so much.
This link advertises a lot of stuff, but, at least explains the cycle and what your up against.

flea, Fleas, FLEA CONTROL, flea control, Flea Infestation, FLEA TREATMENT, flea treatments, flea bites, FLEA BITES, flea spray, FLEA SPRAY, flees, Fles, flea traps, flea sto and flea infestations.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the advice - it's appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs