Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:45 AM

69 posts, read 275,089 times

Advertisements

Thanks grannynancy!

I have to arrange something for him to be able to go outside, it was a surprise getting him and a wonderful surprise at that. I had no idea until Saturday that the lil guy was mine! I hope to find someone to help us out! Also, I would never hit him, but I wanted to hear other experiences. I definately dont want him to become snappy at all. I hate to close the crate gate, we always leave it open, I just dont agree with it. Im with him all day tomorrow, I cannot wait! So, I'm definately going to work on training him in a positive way. I'm so excited. I love him so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 12:16 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
I am going to bet you a dime to a dollar the little fellow would feel much more secure locked up in his crate in your bedroom next to your bed than with the run of the kitchen..........I know its a philosphical thing but............

Old 11-15-2009, 07:24 AM

Default Pics of Pumba :)

Isnt he a cutie!
Attached Thumbnails
10 week old Dachshund/potty and bedtime-dscn2671.jpg   10 week old Dachshund/potty and bedtime-dscn2683.jpg  

Old 11-15-2009, 07:31 AM

I really hate the wee wees but he is so smart and a laid back puppy he goes outside when we are home (5 days) as well as on the wee wee when we are not home. He is a beautiful well mannered lil pup. I have to say he is just wonderful...and very smart! I hope he keeps it up, he doesn't seem confused at all, which is amazing to me, but really he knows where to go! We don't yell at him, we just re-direct his behavior and so far so good! Wish us luck!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsgirl11 View Post
Isnt he a cutie!
I have more pics too if u want to see more!

Old 11-15-2009, 08:09 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,146 times
Doxies are great, welcome to the club! I have a tweenie and I learned a lot from my experience with him. Doxies are different in that they can be difficult to potty train, mine had accidents for years. We finally replaced the carpeting with tile flooring and he's been great ever since. Point is, if he gets used to "having accidents" in the house, you are in serious trouble because he now has established a pattern of behavior PLUS he is a scent hound and his acute sense of smell will lead him to continue eliminating in the same spot. Follow the advice given here on potty training and one more important thing: Get a crate and use it! I didn't crate my dogs because I thought it seemed cruel. I was wrong! After my other dog(Doxie mix) got hurt, I had to buy a crate. Guess what? She & he love it, they now fight over it. A crate is like their personal space. Put the puppy in the crate and keep it in your bedroom so he's close to you. Finally, MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE FOR DACHSHUND OWNERS: DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO JUMP UP & DOWN ON/OFF THE FURNITURE, STAIRS!!!! Doxies are very prone(both mine had problems) to severe, paralyzing spinal/disk issues. This can be prevented by keeping them off ALL furniture. Good luck with your new love!

Old 11-15-2009, 08:17 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
More important than preventing jumping is keeping a dachshund THIN. Not just OK in the weight department, but THIN. The intervertebral discs are MUCH more likely to herniate if more stress is chronically put on them through any excess weight.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Isnt he a cutie!
I've never had a puppy so I've got no advice.
But these pictures? I fainted from the cuteness. On an adorableness scale of 1 to 10, he's off the charts. ENJOY!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:36 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
Quote:
Isnt he a cutie!
So cute! So cute!!!!!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:41 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
I recommend crate training,it seems so mean but your puppy feels secure in the crate, yes he will whine at night. but keep him in the crate take him out to pee praise him, then allow him a little fun time then back into the crate. just as a baby cries ,eats, then sleeps so does a puppy 40 years ago when we had our first son I thought wow kids are easy! feed em,change em and put them to bed....any way the crate gives the puppy security,when my 10 year old doxie knows I'm upset she goes to her crate to get away from the negative vibes. put I must warn you get ready for the day the doxie tunnels under the covers to spend the night.....one isn't bad but three makes for a crowded night!....and they will sleep with you.......gauranteed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs