Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times

Advertisements

The vet prescribed 2 antibiotics (oral). She thinks it is a bacterial or staff infection.
Now I have to give the dog something like 8 pills a day! I did dose 1 this afternoon. My dog is already cagey and knows something is up...

I washed her blanket...so let's hope she gets well soon.

Thanks for the comments in the last thread I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 12:18 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Glad you got the vet's input.
When I've had to give pills, I wrap a piece of packaged "lunch meat" turkey or chicken or something around it. The dog usually grabs and gulps it. I've also put it in dinner bowls if there's good gravy or something desirable coating the kibble and pill.
With some dogs, it's possible to put the pill in the back of their throat, hold their mouth shut and stroke their throat until they have to swallow (and then give a treat right after).
I did have one dog who was very adept at moving the pill out the side of his mouth and losing it quickly. Overall, I favor the lunch meat.
Hope the dog is getting better, maybe you could post about the results after the full course of treatment.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:22 PM

Well, we just went today, so hopefully in a week she will be better.
Thanks for the lunchmeat suggestion. My dog loves hotdogs so I shoved the flat pills in those. It's the capsules that are harder to give.

My vet also says my dog could lose about 4 lbs...I don't get it. She looks very thin to us (She weighs between 51-54 lbs.). She goes on 2 good walks a day, several pee walks, and at least one nice run...I mean this dog is out every 2-3 hours at least..(she's high energy). She's always 'hungry.' I am not cutting down on her food--she really does not eat a lot.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My vet also says my dog could lose about 4 lbs...I don't get it. She looks very thin to us (She weighs between 51-54 lbs.). She goes on 2 good walks a day, several pee walks, and at least one nice run...I mean this dog is out every 2-3 hours at least..(she's high energy). She's always 'hungry.' I am not cutting down on her food--she really does not eat a lot.
First off, I'm so glad to hear that your girl got some meds and will soon be good as new.

About the comment from your vet, I got the same spiel from my vet about Artie. I was all "Whaaaaaaaat???????"

When we got him -- 2.5 years ago -- he was 35 pounds.
Every vet visit, he's at 35 pounds.
Last vet visit, he was 35 pounds and the vet said he could lose a couple. Really???? It's like pulling teeth sometimes to get him to eat! He gets a ton of exercise! Now you want me to put him on a diet???? Uhhh, no.

Prior to her telling me that, I did ask if I should put him on a lower fat food now that he's 6 years old. She said that 6 is still young -- that he has another couple of years before we need to talk about cutting his fat intake.

Then she tells me that he could lose a few pounds. I think she must've been drunk.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:56 PM

Yeah, I think 4lbs in not a big deal. She's not obese. I feed her one good meal a day. I have cut down big time on treats over the last 6 months mainly due to finances. I don't give her hotdogs very much anymore as treats or much peanut butter (lost the kong somewhere...).

This dog is hyper. She'd go out 11 times a day if I let her. She's just lucky I am home now because once I go back to work (knock on wood for me) she is not going to get a good walk till my husband gets up and has his breakfast which is after 11 am.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yeah, I think 4lbs in not a big deal. She's not obese. I feed her one good meal a day. I have cut down big time on treats over the last 6 months mainly due to finances. I don't give her hotdogs very much anymore as treats or much peanut butter (lost the kong somewhere...).

This dog is hyper. She'd go out 11 times a day if I let her. She's just lucky I am home now because once I go back to work (knock on wood for me) she is not going to get a good walk till my husband gets up and has his breakfast which is after 11 am.
I'm definitely knocking on wood for you. I know how tough it is, but it looks like times are getting better. Best of luck!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Pill Pockets were the answer for me and one of my dogs. They smell and taste great, I guess, b/c she would scarf the thing down in a flash, never noticed there was a capsule in it. She could hold a capsule until it started to disolve no matter where I put it or how long I held her mouth. You can get them at any pet store or the vet's.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:23 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
i keep a jar of peanut butter that is for the dogs..... last time i had to pill dave, i would place the pill on the end of my index finger, swipe it through the peanut butter and hold it out to him .... gulp ... it was gone..... i even turned the pilling into little training exercises..... practicing his "sit" ..... of course, bailey had to have a small swipe of peanut butter too ... just minus the pill.....

Old 11-06-2009, 07:53 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Never heard of Pill Pockets. They sound like a great idea.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:33 AM

Default She's getting better!

Just want to let you know Luna is getting better on her medicine. She's not red anymore, not scratching. She has weird pink skin though, always did, so it's hard to tell sometimes if she's sore or that is just her color. (pink underneath).

I have to post a new picture soon. Her birthday is in 2 weeks...we don't know exactly but we know she is going to be 2 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs