Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 03:09 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times

Advertisements

~~~~EXCELLENT FAMILY DOG!!~~~ (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/1474698543.html - broken link)

"Buy" a dog off of someone?

I can't decide if getting a dog like this is morally acceptable

P.S. This ad angered me...why move somewhere that wouldn't allow you to keep the dog?! For goodness sake, he's been with your family over 2 years, he's a part of it. That's like moving somewhere that doesn't allow kids and having to put them up for adoption...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 03:24 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
~~~~EXCELLENT FAMILY DOG!!~~~ (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/1474698543.html - broken link)

"Buy" a dog off of someone?

I can't decide if getting a dog like this is morally acceptable

P.S. This ad angered me...why move somewhere that wouldn't allow you to keep the dog?! For goodness sake, he's been with your family over 2 years, he's a part of it. That's like moving somewhere that doesn't allow kids and having to put them up for adoption...
Being a dog foster in a rescue program, and as many others who do the same will tell you, there have been sooooooo many dogs surrendered due to people not being able to stay in their homes due to foreclosures in this economy. It is unfortunate for the families as well as the dogs so this does not suprise me. Many families have had to give up their homes and move into apartments which do not accept pets.

While I think $5 is much, much too low but I would rather they charge someone to take it than give it away for free to a dog fighting ring.

Many many more fosters are needed for exactly this reason.

Last edited by Thursday007; 11-20-2009 at 03:52 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 03:45 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
I'm not a fan of "buying" dogs from people that decided years later that the dog doesn't fit in their family. I think it helps to perpetuate irresponsible pet ownership. Many people who are rehoming animals tell themselves it is ok because they didn't bring it to the shelter/pound/rescue. They found it a good home and so are not part of the problem when in reality they are. If people were forced to face the reality of taking their dog to the shelter or pound they may take their commitment more seriously.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Although I usually find it absolutely awful, I have to stop myself and remember that we don't know the situation. Thursday007 is right -- it could be for some terrible reason that they have to give up this poor little pooch. I know that I would move heaven and earth to keep Artie, even under the most dire of circumstances, I can see how someone might not be able to make that happen... sadly.

That said, does that mean that you've found your second dog and playmate for The Beeze???

Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
If I didn't already have 3 dogs, yes, I'd pay for a dog that someone had to give up, simply to give it a good, loving home and keep it out of the dog shelter. Especially if it were a situation where they were moving and didn't want to take the dog, I'd feel so bad for the dog. My husband and I moved almost 5000 miles and our 2 dogs came with us and when we make a trip to visit family (driving) again, almost 5000 miles, our dogs go right with us. My one friend jokes about how our dogs have been to more States then she has.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:37 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
I wouldn't buy a dog from anyone who wasn't more experienced in evaluating the dog's disposition and health than a single owner is. I would trust a shelter, a foster caregiver, or breed rescue group. I grew up in a family of vets so I think I know more about dogs than most people--but I know just enough to know that I don't know enough to make a declaration about a dog's health or disposition for someone who will be living with that dog forever.

Agreed with what was said above--they could be experiencing a foreclosure. Or maybe their old landlord experienced foreclosure and they got evicted in the process. Or maybe they had to move quickly for a new job and couldn't find a pets-allowed place (there are many places in the country where rentals allowing dogs is very rare).

Don't castigate a stranger who is obviously trying to do right by their dog. Save that for the people who starve their dogs when they don't have the money, or abandon them by the side of the road.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:12 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

Or maybe they had to move quickly for a new job and couldn't find a pets-allowed place (there are many places in the country where rentals allowing dogs is very rare).
It took us almost 3 months of daily searching to find the place we live in now. We called hundreds of places, only to learn they do not accept dogs. We found some really nice places that we would have loved to live in, but our dog was not welcomed. I would rather live in a refrigerator box on the side of the road with my dog than to give him up to someone. He's my baby and the love of my life. I can't imagine ever getting rid of him. There is always a way and I'm sick of people using the rental argument to dump their pets on someone else. I've helped many people in many states find housing that allows pets. It's out there, you just have to be willing to look for it.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
It's out there, you just have to be willing to look for it.
People don't always have that luxury. You don't even know if these people are leasing an apartment. They could be living on a friend or relative's sofa. In those situations, you are lucky to even have a sofa to sleep on--you can't be choosey about who is generously offering you a roof over your head. None of us have walked in another person's shoes so judging them isn't fair--especially when they are at least trying to do something decent for their pet.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:32 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Yes but people don't always have the luxury of time to look for it. If you've taken a job after months of unemployment and have to show up for the new job right away, you take whatever housing you can find so you can get to work. You can't just tell your new boss, hey can I have a few extra weeks off to find a perfect place. And if you've got kids, like that listing indicates, you've got to keep your kids in as stable a situation as possible. You can't have them living in a hotel or campground while trying to go to school.

There are just sooo many situations that could account for a person giving up a pet. Don't judge people even if you think you've walked in their shoes, because chances are you haven't.
I understand the necessity for having to look for housing in extreme circumstances, but if I ever ran into that, I'd have someone I trust take care of my dog while I got settled and started looked for proper housing for the both of us. I wouldn't just give my dog away and not put up a fight to keep him...

Old 11-20-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I'd have someone I trust take care of my dog while I got settled and started looked for proper housing for the both of us.
Then consider yourself lucky that you have those kinds of people in your life. There are a lot of people who just don't have good friends that they can rely on, or any family.

I personally am not someone who has a lot of close friends, certainly not one close enough that I would ask to take my pet. I have only lived in this town for a short while and know only a few people, certainly not well. Most of my good friends are thousands of miles away and I couldn't really call them close friends anymore because of that distance. I am fortunate that I have a relative who adores my pet and would take him if I needed. But I don't have a large family, just the one living sibling, so there isn't anyone else I can ask. If that one person was gone, or found themselves unemployed and unable to take my pet--which is a real possibility in this economy--I wouldn't have any options.

Just stop and think: there are people whose lives are far more miserable than you can imagine. Who have no help, no options, and are already living on their last resort. Surely this economy has taught us that we need to be more compassionate and understanding of our fellow man, because it can happen to any of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs