Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 11:20 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,758,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer132 View Post
I will be getting my 12 year old Shih Tzu spayed because of an extended heat cycle.

Please... I am too weak for any lectures on spaying.

I would like to know if anyone has had a 12 year old dog or older dog in perfect health, prior to the extended heat, go through a spay procedure. She's never had surgery before. I'm so nervous.

She's never been away from me and I love her so much. I didn't spay her when she was young because I wasn't aware about the changes that could happen when she got older...Period.

Can someone help me on what to expect? I'm so frightened. he vet is not telling me much of anything even though I've asked. I will be taking her home the same day and will have a private vet tech to help.

Thank you
Hope all goes well. Be sure and have the pre op blood work done to make sure she's otherwise healthy.

Last edited by Rowan123; 10-30-2017 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 09:27 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer132 View Post
I will be getting my 12 year old Shih Tzu spayed because of an extended heat cycle.

Please... I am too weak for any lectures on spaying.

I would like to know if anyone has had a 12 year old dog or older dog in perfect health, prior to the extended heat, go through a spay procedure. She's never had surgery before. I'm so nervous.

She's never been away from me and I love her so much. I didn't spay her when she was young because I wasn't aware about the changes that could happen when she got older...Period.

Can someone help me on what to expect? I'm so frightened. he vet is not telling me much of anything even though I've asked. I will be taking her home the same day and will have a private vet tech to help.

Thank you
Yeah read my post right above yours.
There isn't much to really say, your dog will need to be careful not to pull stitches but recovery is usually quick.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:42 AM

21 posts, read 30,412 times
My 12 year old did amazingly great after having been spayed at 12 years old. No Pyometra, just extended heat. Her wound is almost healed, she wants to play and play and play!

Old 11-20-2017, 12:06 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
I adopt only older dogs (8-9 years of age) and most of them werent spayed until they came into rescue.

I worked for a vet years ago and saw many older unspayed females who ended up with pyometra. It's a life-threatening infection of the uterus that occurs most often in middle-aged unspayed females. Believe me, you dont want your sweet baby to have to deal with that. And, of course, there's always the likelihood of uterine cancer in an older dog.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:36 PM

21 posts, read 30,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Hope all goes well. Be sure and have the pre op blood work done to make sure she's otherwise healthy.
Thank you. She did unbelievably wonderful. Was walking faster than me the day after. The surgery took 30 minutes & recovery 1 hour. She’s still like my little puppy. The whole thing to 7 hours & I waited because the surgeon was doing emergency surgeries while I waited. I wanted a specialty surgeon & anesthesiologist. The discharge instructions were generic which upset me. I was calling every day. But she’s fine. More than fine. Thank you again.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:01 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
So glad to hear this, Jennifer.

There is one thing of which owners of spayed older dogs, especially larger breeds, should be aware. Sometimes these dogs can have problems leaking urine. Of the 6 older spayed females that I've adopted, 5 have had urine-leaking issues. In fact, this is the #1 reason that spayed female dogs are given up or dumped on the streets. There is an inexpensive product, Proin, that stops the leaking. I wish more owners were aware of this product, as it might prevent many sweet dogs from being dumped.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:45 AM

Glad it all went well.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,131 times
I personally would not spay an older dog. My maltese/yorkie mix developed a benign breast lump. The vet recommended spaying at age 14. Soon after she developed doggy Alzheimers....it was beyond sad...I blame myself for listening or trusting the Vet...

Old 08-06-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciparliamo View Post
I personally would not spay an older dog. My maltese/yorkie mix developed a benign breast lump. The vet recommended spaying at age 14. Soon after she developed doggy Alzheimers....it was beyond sad...I blame myself for listening or trusting the Vet...
The Alzheimer's could be totally unrelated to the spay. 14 years old is old for a dog. Many dogs will end up with some form form of dementia if they live to be old enough.

All the more reason to spay a dog when it's younger.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,037 times
I have a 9 year Yorkie and 11 year old chihuahua that are to get spayed this week? Do you think they will be okay at their ages! Blood work is being done first and my Vet recommended them to be spayed to help not getting pyametria! (The uteruse infection) Think I spelled that right! What’s your feeling on their ages! I have been so stressed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs