Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times

Advertisements

As much as I DESPISE putting this poison on my dogs, I realize it's a necessary evil. My "old man" Pointer mix needs a shower, and we are almost due for the mid-month application of Front Line. How soon after his bath should I apply it? I believe it's dangerous immediately after - at the same time, I don't want him exposed to the outdoors for any length of time without it. ANY THOUGHTS? Greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 10:54 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Allow 3 days after a bath, so the oils in the skin and fur have time to re-appear.

I despise putting neurotoxins on my animals too. I refuse to use them, and never have.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:02 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
I feel the same but I give the bath and then about 2 days later he gets the drops.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:19 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
As much as I DESPISE putting this poison on my dogs, I realize it's a necessary evil. My "old man" Pointer mix needs a shower, and we are almost due for the mid-month application of Front Line. How soon after his bath should I apply it? I believe it's dangerous immediately after - at the same time, I don't want him exposed to the outdoors for any length of time without it. ANY THOUGHTS? Greatly appreciated.

Frontline, or any topical flea control, works vbetter on a "dirty" dog. Wait a few days after washing to apply.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:01 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
I wouldn't worry about using frontline or any of the other flea treatments, none of the chemicals are metabolized by the dog, therefore they are benign and harmless.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
it's not that frontline on a clean dog is dangerous. it's that it is not as effective when the natural oils are not there. You can also put the frontline on a dirty dog, wait 2 days and then wash him. I find the topical I put on my dogs make their fur greasy so that is what i do---wash after application.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:34 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I wouldn't worry about using frontline or any of the other flea treatments, none of the chemicals are metabolized by the dog, therefore they are benign and harmless.
Just wanted to say that as a groomer for almost 20 years, I saw many reactions to Front line and similar products. Everything from vomiting, lethargy, follicle dysplasia causing hair growth issues and skin infections at application site, and even seizures in my clients. My mother's own dog developed such a horrific reaction, that the vet said he would drop dead if he ever touched Frontline again.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I have had a very different experience working with large numbers of dogs professionally. I am glad to have recently sold my business, because I was starting to worry about the long-term respiratory and skin exposure I was getting from handling other people's pesticide-laden dogs each day. Super Fleas have now developed a resistance because of flea drops, and many people are layering on the pesticides 2x as many drops, sooner than the recommended time between applications.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:04 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Allow 3 days after a bath, so the oils in the skin and fur have time to re-appear.

I despise putting neurotoxins on my animals too. I refuse to use them, and never have.
Peenville must not be located in Florida. Every one of my clients NOT using flea protection here has had tapeworm. Just for starters. Until HUMANS can be controlled IE making sure their yards are not flea infested or making them interested in alternative methods and having them WORK, the dogs have no choice in the matter.

That's good though that you take your health into consideration as a groomer. Most groomers I've met REFUSE my clients who won't agree to an every 3 or 4 week grooming commitment. Therein doubling their "exposure" to the radioactive animal. LOL

I actually haven't seen anyone using Frontline in AGES. All of my people are on Trifexis at the moment. But in Florida they do flea tx all year long.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-07-2013 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 03:10 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Quote:

REALLY!!! What do you use? When I adopted him 8 years ago, he came to me with Lyme's (he's now 10).

Years ago with my first Dobies, I placed garlic in their food - BEFORE it made the No-No list. Never had a flea or a tick.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:11 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Just wanted to say that as a groomer for almost 20 years, I saw many reactions to Front line and similar products. Everything from vomiting, lethargy, follicle dysplasia causing hair growth issues and skin infections at application site, and even seizures in my clients. My mother's own dog developed such a horrific reaction, that the vet said he would drop dead if he ever touched Frontline again.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I have had a very different experience working with large numbers of dogs professionally. I am glad to have recently sold my business, because I was starting to worry about the long-term respiratory and skin exposure I was getting from handling other people's pesticide-laden dogs each day. Super Fleas have now developed a resistance because of flea drops, and many people are layering on the pesticides 2x as many drops, sooner than the recommended time between applications.
I will take your word, being that you were a groomer, but I personally have seen no reaction in any of the dogs I have owned. You have to remember, as a groomer, you see more dogs in one day than most people own in 2 life times, so you are bound to see more reactions than the average dog owner. How many reactions did you see as compared to the number of dogs you have worked with? How many reactions were related to Frontline or just coincidence. You have to remember also, some people are idiots and will do dumb things, such as double dosing, not applying the product properly, rendering it ineffective(it has to hit the skin) and a waste of money. You also talk about super fleas developing, there again this may be the fault of the owner not applying it properly, not using the proper dose or going to long between doses. I use a generic version of frontline and have had good luck with it. If there were major problems with frontline and its cousins, there would be lawsuits galore and possibly pulled from the market. To be honest, I would rather use frontline than go back to the old way of killing fleas, by washing, dipping the entire dog in a solution of toxic chemicals. as I said before, flea drops are not metabolized by the dog, so they are basically benign and lets face it, the so called natural stuff on the market doesn't work very well. So, until something better comes along, I will continue to use frontline or it counter parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs