Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:02 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,932,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I'm pretty sure he wants to play with the cat, but that's something I'd definitely find out before I got one. There are a few really friendly cats who hang around my condo complex and I thought about bringing one inside and seeing how they react together. Maybe that's a bad idea...I'm not sure

Beesley is 3 1/2.
Sounds like Beesley's age shouldn't be a problem. Love that name!

It's good you are considering all the factors before you act. Personally, I would not bring a strange cat into my house, even if it's friendly. "Outside cats" can have diseases that "indoor cats" could pick up, and it's reasonable to wonder if you or your dog could contract some illness, (Toxoplasmosis, for instance,) even if it's only worms!!!

Why not ask a friend with a cat to do an experimental visit?

Also, if you don't really like cats, maybe you don't know much about having them share your space. Kittens are a lot of work because they are babies. Even adult cats can be a challenge, because you have to get used to each other's idiosyncrasies. You have to teach them where it's ok to scratch, for one. If you let a cat roam your indoor space it might knock things over in the middle of the night and scare the beejeebers out of you.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but you'll have to be prepared for getting acquainted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:06 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
If you're ready for the additional responsibility and expenses (food, litter, litter box, toys, treats, vet bill, some of which are unexpected, etc.) go for it. Though I wouldn't consider it a cat for your dog, but more for you. My only hesitation is that you said you don't care for cats...you'll be the one responsible for it, not Beesley and while it may be a good companion, you'll still have to do all the work associated with having a cat. I really can't see a cat keeping a dog company...most cats (regular DSH, not special breeds) like to be alone and tend to hide and sleep for a good portion of the day.

And it's a good possibility that the cat would use your couch as a scratch post, so if you're not willing to deal with damaged furniture, a cat is not for you! Personally, I wouldn't get one. But that's only because I'm not a fan of things that pee inside your house for the duration of their lives, even if it's in a litterbox. Also, while B loves cats, you would have to get one that likes him as well. Maybe foster for a while to ensure that they get along before making such a commitment.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Mak makes some good points. Nothing for sure will guarantee that the cat will like the dog and vice-a-versa. Mine all get along famously....I can post a bazillion pics of Dylan with the other cats...all doing the same cuddling. BUT....I have leather furniture...while they don't scratch it as a post ( and that is something you will need to invest in or make one), the couches have been scratched just by them running on it. It is a fact of life when you have cats. If you don't care to smell litterboxes....they must be cleaned faithfully...and again..out of TB's reach. Historically, dogs love cat tootsie rolls!
I definately would NOT bring a strange cat into your home. No cat, no matter how friendly will react as if it were your own cat. It will freak at the new surroundings and I can guarantee it will not end well. Even a new cat coming into your home will have to get adjusted to Beeze and the scent. Each newbie that comes into our house hisses and yowls....It does take a bit of time for the adjustment. Don't expect love at first sight! Maybe fostering a kitten or young cat for a period will give you an idea of what it will mean in cost and extra time and care.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:24 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
heh dogs love cat tootsie rolls

Old 04-29-2010, 02:35 PM

609 posts, read 1,260,352 times
when my sister first got her dog, a couple days later her husband found a small, tiny kitten. since they were so young they became best of friends and were hilarious to watch. however, my cat hates my dog lol. BUT my cat is a mean old bugger. he only likes me, and he had been living with my mom for about a year, i got my dog, and the next day went and got my cat back from my mom...hes tolerant of him, but thats all. poor howie thinks they're friends...he chases him around trying to play with him and wilbur will just jump out and swat him. its entertaining, but i know wilbur hates him lol. so i think a kitten would be your best bet...older cats are more set in their ways. i think itd be really cool if you can get one that gets along with the dog. litter boxes arent that big a deal, my cat had one when he was younger, and for a short time when he moved back in with us...but he goes potty outside. and the scratching of the furniture can be deterred with scratching posts or double sided tape...they make a mess of scratch toys for cats. dont buy the spray stuff though, thats a waste of money lol.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:37 PM

p.s. the main reason i got rid of the litter box was because my dog thought it was a buffet and he licks me...so thats not acceptable lol. wilbur didnt really need it anyway though. hes indoor/outdoor and very verbal about his demands lol.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:41 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
And while the pictures of Dylan and the cat are so freakin precious, it's not the norm! You might come home to this!

Old 04-29-2010, 02:43 PM

lmao!!! that picture brought tears to my eyes! thanks Mak!

Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
I wouldn't suggest making a cat an outdoor cat. It shortens the life span considerably....waaaaaaaaaaay too many dangers. Have a cat get hit once by a car or attacked by a coyote...and you'll learn real fast.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:59 PM

my cat is too fat to jump the fence. hes in the backyard...and i have one thats strictly outdoor, only because he adopted me...but hes always in the backyard too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs