Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 04:56 PM

409 posts, read 2,783,542 times

Advertisements

Some one on here mentioned benedryl for over anxious dogs during thunderstorms and fireworks. is that a fact from a vet? what is the dose for a 15 lb shih ztu?? please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 05:20 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
Some one on here mentioned benedryl for over anxious dogs during thunderstorms and fireworks. is that a fact from a vet? what is the dose for a 15 lb shih ztu?? please help.
It's never really encouraged to give human meds to animals !!! (SEVERE CAUTION: ANIMALS HAVE DIED FROM THIS!!!!)
But, I have a "problem child" in my house, because my german shepherd has SEVERE allergies, making his life miserable at times.
I do HAVE to give him benedryl, because of the antihistamine in it.
(I consulted with my vet FIRST!!!)
But, what I have noticed the "side effect" is, that he get's really sleepy from it......
From THAT point of view....maybe it could be used.......
But, I would STILL consult with my vet on it!!!!

Old 06-21-2007, 05:35 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
Have you considered DAP or Dog Appeasing Pheromones? They mimic some scent that the mother dog has. Supposed to offer great comfort to dogs in times of stress. Here is a link with some info Canine Behavior Spotlight: Behavior Problems and D.A.P - (Dog Appeasing Pheromone)

I used to have a 130 pound dobermann/rott mix that was so afraid of fireworks that if they even had one on TV she would wedge herself under the bed or behind the toilet (actually had to pull the toilet once or twice to get her out). My vet gave me Acepromazine to give her on New Year's Eve, 4th of July, etc.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:44 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,823 times
Our vet once recommended Children Benadryl for our Yorkie for traveling and the dose was 1 mg/1 lb of body weight. However, it didn't calm my dog; it actually made him hyper so I only tried it once. I have found Pet Calm tabs and Rescue Remedy to work a lot better for anxiety.

Last edited by mlv311; 06-21-2007 at 06:04 PM..

Old 06-21-2007, 06:45 PM

409 posts, read 2,783,542 times
I've never heard of the over the counter remedies. are they from petsmart or somewhere like that ? i would rather not go the benedryl route either but i really have a panting problem with her and she quivers. i am so afraid something will happen after doing this for sometimes hours.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:27 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,909,425 times
Quote:

I strongly discourage tranqs. But that's just me.

I would rather take an Holistic approach **Rescue Remedy**...which has worked quite nicely for my dogs.
If you would like to read more about it go here: Pets & Bach Flower Essences

Or do a Google search for more info.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:01 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
Quote:
Benedryl works fine for my girl and yes it was on my vet's recommendation as I'm adverse to using the tranqs.

Considering the age of your dog, is why I stressed that you ask your vet as your vet is the one who knows your dog best.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:57 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,275,975 times
Quote:
I've never heard of the over the counter remedies. are they from petsmart or somewhere like that ? i would rather not go the benedryl route either but i really have a panting problem with her and she quivers. i am so afraid something will happen after doing this for sometimes hours.
Try Rescue Remedy from Petsmart or Petco. Benadryl WILL leave them hung over and sleepy, which is not necessarily a bad thing during a thunderstorm when the dog is having a meltdown. Your vet will work with you on this, and tell them you would rather not tranquilize. Children's Benadryl will be milder and your pharmacist will be more than happy to supply you with a measuring device - mix some with some peanut butter and your problems should be over.

For a small dog the RR may work just fine. It's herbal, as citybythebay mentioned. Of course common sense kicks in - ask the vet's office about administering ANYTHING to your pet.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:38 AM

180 posts, read 957,515 times
Elvis has an allergy in the summer and I have used Benadryl. It makes him sleepy so I used to use it only at night so he could get some rest. But it makes him twitchy the next day... kind of hyper sensitive to sounds and he startles easily. So I only use it when the Rescue won't work.

I hate giving my dogs non natural stuff.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,176,605 times
As I recall, Benedryl side effects include ^^blood pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs