Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:22 PM

45 posts, read 95,888 times

Advertisements

OMG! I have a 7 year old pit bull and I don't know how many times I have taken her to the Dog On Vet for her ear infection....I got rid of it with antibiotics and what ever else they prescribed me and it went a way perfectly fine...It cost me $500 bucks but the price you pay for your babies....However...A month later she has the ear infection AGAIN...And I noticed that she has i guess what would be a rash on her stomach....its red and rough!!! I am so worried about her...she looks so uncomfortable...I have been going back and forth with the ear infection for a year or so now...and it has cost me BIG....I went to a pet store who also has a vet and they had me buy this ear cleaning/infection control kit...and it worked for a while and then...It came back...What can I do about this...What is causing this to happen and now with the rash on her stomach...is it mites??? or ticks??? If so...what can I do to get her some relief ONCE and FOR ALL...AND GET THEM OUT OF MY HOUSE AND AWAY FROM HER!!!!

Also...Seeing as though she is 7 years old...and is a house dog...NOW more than ever....Is is still necessary to get her shots yearly or can I do bi yearly now??? Just a thought...I was told I could...I just want to be sure...Thanks For Any Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:30 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Can't offer you any help with the ear and rash, but the only shot your dog has to legally have is rabies, and the frequency depends on state law. Here in CA, it's every 3 years for adult dogs.

Many knowledgeable people here regarding ear infections, so keep checking back. Could be yeast, allergies, who knows.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:38 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Angel was one step away from having little tubes in her ears from infections.

Then we tried one more thing. Zymox.

She gets it once a week or, anytime her ears have been wet. Even rainy damp days.

Worked great!!!!

Last edited by Driller1; 06-05-2010 at 08:59 PM..

Old 06-05-2010, 08:42 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
What are you feeding her? Sounds like food can be the culprit.

And while rabies technically is required by law, studies prove that dogs are immune for a lifetime after just the first shot. No need to do it every 1-3 years. It's absurd to require that. You wouldn't inject toxins into your human baby every 3 years for no reason, don't do it to your dog. Their life spans are much shorter than a human, don't shorten it by over-vaccinating. CA is actually looking to pass a bill that will allow dogs to be legally exempt from the rabies vaccine for life if they had a previous negative reaction. You can bet that many dog owners will be claiming that once it passes to get around this ridiculous law! Check out this link to learn all about vaccines.

Index

Old 06-06-2010, 06:03 AM

106 posts, read 440,307 times
I can second the Zymox. Worked great for Justy's ears; we too, were close to having tubes put in. You probably need to have a vet determine if the rash and ear infection are related before doing anything though. Our JRT is allergic to Bermuda grass and gets a pink belly from it, and is very uncomfortable. During the hot summer months he gets a once-a-month shot to help him out and it works wonders, although we have to keep him off the grass as much as possible, which is difficult. The best place to start is back to a vet to have them help you determine what is going on there.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:25 AM

These are some good ideas!!! SteelStress & Mak802...Thanks...My dad told me the same thing...thats funny because my vet wants me to come in every year to get her shots administered...I didn't understand why she is 7 years old I figured she would be fine w/o them...So i asked my dad who used to breed pits and he said I didn't have to!!! So..I am happy about that....As for what I feed her...I get her Beneful...But I have honestly been thinking about trying like the food that you get out of the freezer section @ the grocery store! But every time I try something new with her she gets diarrhea...Soon as I get this ear and stomach rash/infection cleared I will consider changing her diet to something else...Any suggestions??? (lol) And Now...For the ear infection...WHAT ARE TUBES??? OH NO! I hope I won't have to do that with her!! ....I think I will have to just take her to the vet before I try anything...THANKS YOU GUYS!!! Now to see when I can get her in!!!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoomphAhhs View Post
These are some good ideas!!! SteelStress & Mak802...Thanks...My dad told me the same thing...thats funny because my vet wants me to come in every year to get her shots administered...I didn't understand why she is 7 years old I figured she would be fine w/o them...So i asked my dad who used to breed pits and he said I didn't have to!!! So..I am happy about that....As for what I feed her...I get her Beneful...But I have honestly been thinking about trying like the food that you get out of the freezer section @ the grocery store! But every time I try something new with her she gets diarrhea...Soon as I get this ear and stomach rash/infection cleared I will consider changing her diet to something else...Any suggestions??? (lol) And Now...For the ear infection...WHAT ARE TUBES??? OH NO! I hope I won't have to do that with her!! ....I think I will have to just take her to the vet before I try anything...THANKS YOU GUYS!!! Now to see when I can get her in!!!
The tubes are part of a surgery. The vet puts them in. In Angel's case she was going to have it done at MSU.

Our dogs get some shots each year. I think it is a five way + they get one for kennel cough.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:49 AM

Oh okay!!! Awwww...Now I'm worried now!!! The tube thing sounds uncomfortable! Awwww my poor baby! Ugh! Thanks for the help!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoomphAhhs View Post
Oh okay!!! Awwww...Now I'm worried now!!! The tube thing sounds uncomfortable! Awwww my poor baby! Ugh! Thanks for the help!
They do it with children all the time.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Beneful is a very bad food! If you look at the ingredients, it's mostly corn (1st ingredient), other grains and fillers, with very little meat content! It rates a 1 star on Dog Food Analysis, most likely because they can't go lower than that! I'd switch her food to see if it helps. Go with a grain-free food, something that rates 4 stars are higher. Good brands to consider are Orijen, Acana and I really cannot recommend the rest, since they are either made by Diamond or Procter & Gamble, though you can make up your own mind about brands when you see which rate 4-6 stars. Here's the reviews for your Beneful. Basically, if it's sold at your supermarket or chain Pet store, there is a good chance it's not a good-quality food. Find an independently owned pet store in your area and go from there.

Dog Food Reviews - Beneful Healthy Harvest - Powered by ReviewPost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs