Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:53 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times

Advertisements

I know there are sites where you can check for pet-friendly stores.

In your town, specifically, which stores are pet-friendly?

Were you ever surprised to see/not see dogs anywhere? Do you have any stories about dogs being welcome (or not) at a store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 05:58 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Pet Smart

Old 06-06-2010, 06:04 AM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Any of the pet stores. Some restaurants during certain hours and/or outside on the patio.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:34 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Which don't, shorter list here in San Diego! I bring mine to every single non food store and have never had an issue. Our malls are outdoors, so I bring him to all the stores in there without problems. Home Depot, Lowe's, Apple Store, Ace Hardware, and everything in between allows dogs in this area. Of course, PetSmart/Petco do as well, but I don't shop at big box stores so we never go in there.

We also have outdoor seating at pretty much every single restaurant, since it's always warm here, and dogs are allowed there. Many of these restaurants offer doggie menus as well. San Diego truly caters to dogs and their owners and it's so nice to see that dogs are welcomed in so many places. And several bars in my area allow dogs to be inside the actual bar, which is pretty cool.

We recently had an event called Pet Day on the Bay, where the Hornblower cruise was open to only dogs and their owners, and we had a blast. Petco Park has the Dog Days of Summer, and dogs and their owners can enjoy a Padres game at the stadium. With all the dog parks, beaches and dog-friendly establishments near me, I cannot imagine living anywhere else!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:48 AM

418 posts, read 1,382,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Which don't, shorter list here in San Diego! I bring mine to every single non food store and have never had an issue. Our malls are outdoors, so I bring him to all the stores in there without problems. Home Depot, Lowe's, Apple Store, Ace Hardware, and everything in between allows dogs in this area. Of course, PetSmart/Petco do as well, but I don't shop at big box stores so we never go in there.

We also have outdoor seating at pretty much every single restaurant, since it's always warm here, and dogs are allowed there. Many of these restaurants offer doggie menus as well. San Diego truly caters to dogs and their owners and it's so nice to see that dogs are welcomed in so many places. And several bars in my area allow dogs to be inside the actual bar, which is pretty cool.

We recently had an event called Pet Day on the Bay, where the Hornblower cruise was open to only dogs and their owners, and we had a blast. Petco Park has the Dog Days of Summer, and dogs and their owners can enjoy a Padres game at the stadium. With all the dog parks, beaches and dog-friendly establishments near me, I cannot imagine living anywhere else!
I am moving.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
I am moving.
Come on down! We moved here less than 2 years ago from NJ. We didn't have a dog in Jersey, but I remember people being so excited that a dog park was being built in the area we lived in. The one and only dog park! Now, we have the hard decision of deciding which of the 20 or so dog parks to go to (all within 15-20 minutes of us) or which of the 4 dog beaches to go to. NJ is horribly unfriendly towards dogs (housing, no beach access, lack of dog parks, they're not allowed in restaurants, stores, etc.) and we didn't want to have a dog in an area that heavily discriminates against dogs. Very few people owned dogs there in comparison to where we are now. It's hard to walk down the block here without seeing people walking their dogs. It's definitely a nice change!

Old 06-06-2010, 11:47 AM

205 posts, read 726,398 times
I take my very well behaved pitbull Peter into hardware stores, petco, petsmart, outdoor seating restaurants. Just yesterday I saw a Yorki in a AAA office; he was in a carry bag and he came out to say hi to me before running back to the safety of his tiny crate/bag.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:55 AM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post

Oh, I know--San Diego is a haven for dog owners who do not like to leave their pets at home "just because." I wish more places were like SanD, or that I could get a job there and move (*sigh*)

One more place that I forgot to mention is the auto service shops. The guys working there always love it when I bring my dog in with me. But I do get the occassional dirty look from a customer who clearly does not approve

Old 06-06-2010, 12:07 PM

254 posts, read 414,963 times
Here in Albuquerque, Lowes and Home depot are very pet friendly. They allow dogs in the store as long as they are leashed.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:22 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
MAK802, I am seriously considering moving to San Diego, it is a dream to live in a place where I can take my dog(s) everywhere!

I am not a fan of the weather though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs