Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 PM

205 posts, read 726,398 times

Advertisements

My spike was exactly like that. She entertained herself and the kids. I love those little run by licks.. and the smooch at the end is perfect.

Our spike would bump the babies when they were in their swing, lick their toes and hands. when they were in their walkers (old school ones with wheels!) she'd run around them when they tried to follow her. It became a game of tag almost... they'd chase her, she'd chase them. I had hardwood floors,, after a bit I had to shut it down the noise was too much! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:17 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Really? I've never heard of anyone getting rid of a dog once a baby comes along unless the dog shows aggression toward the baby.
I got one of my rotties from a couple who had recently had a baby. They put him out of the house and kept him tied to a tree when the baby came and decided they needed to get rid of him because they didnt have time for him anymore. Since everyone in my fam. had "their" rottie except my youngest son, I bought the dog for $60.00 and gave it to him for Xmas. We had him for 10 yrs. before he died of cancer 2 yrs. ago.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 PM

417 posts, read 1,068,314 times
I remember my mom telling me about the husky we had when I was a baby...the dog was my best friend and she said the best babysitter they could have. I used to have one of those little cars that had the open bottom for your feet so you could move it yourself (one of the Little Tike ones)..well one day my mom saw Tanya (our husky) grab the back of the car and pull it up the driveway because she thought I was too close to the street, so my mom tied a rope to the back of it and she would watch the dog pull me back every time I got towards the end of the driveway (of course my mother was outside supervising me as well). Tanya also loved sitting in leaf piles with me while I played and any time I cried, she'd go get my mother or father and nudge them until they picked me up. Of course, I don't remember any of this because I was too young but I definitely would want a canine friend around when we eventually have kids..you just have to socialize them correctly.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
I remember my mom telling me about the husky we had when I was a baby...the dog was my best friend and she said the best babysitter they could have. I used to have one of those little cars that had the open bottom for your feet so you could move it yourself (one of the Little Tike ones)..well one day my mom saw Tanya (our husky) grab the back of the car and pull it up the driveway because she thought I was too close to the street, so my mom tied a rope to the back of it and she would watch the dog pull me back every time I got towards the end of the driveway (of course my mother was outside supervising me as well). Tanya also loved sitting in leaf piles with me while I played and any time I cried, she'd go get my mother or father and nudge them until they picked me up. Of course, I don't remember any of this because I was too young but I definitely would want a canine friend around when we eventually have kids..you just have to socialize them correctly.
That's just AWESOME!!!

Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Why spend money on expensive gadgets and toys to entertain baby? Get a dog and you're set!
Saves time cleaning floors, too! We hardly ever had to clean up the crumbs under the high chair.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:32 PM

14 posts, read 22,588 times
So cute, the dog is so sweet.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:49 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Saves time cleaning floors, too! We hardly ever had to clean up the crumbs under the high chair.
I have two young grandsons, now 4 and 5. As toddlers of course chips etc. hit the floor but when they left and I would look around the livingroom, no crumbs on the carpet. Good Lab Hoover!!!!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:40 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
I have 4 children, 3 were pre-dogs.

My now 18 month old daughter LOVES our two dogs, but one (male lhaso-poo, 5 years old) is VERY skittish and doesn't like to be touched in any hint of rough manner. Once, my daughter pulled his fur...he didn't yelp..he barked at her. Scared the crap out of her and she cried. From that day forward, she never pulled his fur again. Now, she goes to him with her hand and he'll nudge and/or lick it sometimes. But, he usually steers clear....very skittish dog.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:10 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,953 times
We have a 5 year old pomeranian...Bear. We had a baby 6 months ago and she absolutely ADORES Bear. She will sit on the floor and laugh hysterically at him! He even brings his toys to her an wants her to play with him...which obviously can't happen yet! When I'm holding her Bear comes to sit by us and will lay his head on her lap. She'll pull his ears, his fur, his tail...he doesn't care. If he gets sick of it he just gets up and walks away.

I'm so glad our daughter will have a dog as a child!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Sadly, aggression to most is growling. They yell and hit the dog for growling when baby pulls on its fur. That is the only way the dog knows how to say, "Leave me alone." You better hope you have a dog that warns, not bites, first. You take away their warning ability (growling) and the next time the dog will bite, since he's been punished for warning. It takes time to prepare a home where dog and baby can happily coexist. Unfortunately, most women develop this attitude that they are the only people in the world with a baby and dog and opt to get rid of the dog. I'm at the age where all my friends are starting families. I can't believe how many have gotten rid of their pets the second they found out they were pregnant.

I love this cartoon. It makes as much sense as getting rid of a dog does!
I never would give my dog up without a real great reason!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs