Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 AM

5 posts, read 7,252 times

Advertisements

My husband and I might get transferred to Duluth within the next year. We currently live in north central WV and we've been very happy raising a family here. Our 7 year old is Native American (from Guatemala), and our 2 year old is African American. (Hubby and I are both white.) I have a few questions and if anyone could help me that would be great:
1. I understand that MN is very white. Does anyone have a feel for how children of color might be accepted in Duluth or its burbs?
2. How are the public schools? What districts are best, in your opinion?
3. How are folks up there? When we moved to WV, we were pleasantly surprised to find that (most) native West Virginians were friendly (if a little reserved) and VERY accepting of our two sons. There is a very strong sense of family and community here, which has been wonderful for raising kids.
4. My biggest fear is dealing with six months of winter. Hubby and I have lived all over the United States, from Maine to the deep South; I'm originally from the Boston area and hubby is from Harrisburg. Specifically, I'm wondering How do you deal with young housebound kids in the winter? Are there sports available throughout the year? (My 7 year old loves both indoor and outdoor soccer.)

And finally,
5. Can you grow tomatoes in Duluth???? Gardening is my therapy and I'm not sure I could live someplace where I couldn't grow tomatoes.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,588 times
On your questions (in no order):

I went to college with kids from all over the world - Togo, Somalia, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Namibia.

Every peer in college that had moved here from somewhere in the Midwest (Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee) and most everyone I've met have said Minnesota is very progressive from these other places.

In general, Northern Minnesota is pretty liberal but not as much as the Cities here. There are a LOT of natives north of the cities (and here in the cities). All of the ones I've met have been nice to me. Minnesota is about 85% European-American though, give or take.

Sports? Hockey is LIFE here. Our hockey state tournament is the biggest state tournament in the country - not football in Texas, basketball in Indiana, baseball in Cali or Florida. It was all of my peers' dream to get to the big dance. My freshman year I wasn't on varsity but we made State and haven't been back since. One of the moments of my life to be at the Civic Center as a freshman A-bantam. However, yes, there are indoor soccer facilities (not sure about Duluth).

Winter in Northern Minnesota is colder than any other place in the Lower 48. It's COLD. My brother in law and sister live in Ontario and they tell me it's colder in MN than it is there.

You can definitely grow on a plot of land here. I have family on the Iron Range (Chisholm, to be exact) and it is freezing there a good bit of the year. They have 40 acres there and are vegetarians (no lie) and they produce enough every year to feed a family of four, maybe even comfortably.

Public schools in the Duluth area - there are number of high schools. Not sure about K-8 though.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 AM

120 posts, read 265,346 times
Duluth has changed a lot over the past two decades. I lived there with my boyfriend (I'm white, Canadian, he's Colombian and dark), so not only gay but interracial...we met mostly nice people. I think he was more upset that people mistook him for being Native, which for whatever reason he resented being associated with, but that's another story.

You'll find support and understanding in the least-expected places. My hometown (Fort Frances, Ontario) has a lot of people of different nationalities, religions, gay/straight, and that wasn't the case in the past - it's an old lumber town in the middle of nowhere. But that lack of exposure to differences can sometimes be a good thing, because they haven't had the chance to form prejudices based on stereotypes or limited experiences. Dealing with street gangs and skinhead groups in Toronto was much scarier than a few loose cannon idiots here.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:32 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limulus View Post
My husband and I might get transferred to Duluth within the next year. We currently live in north central WV and we've been very happy raising a family here. Our 7 year old is Native American (from Guatemala), and our 2 year old is African American. (Hubby and I are both white.) I have a few questions and if anyone could help me that would be great:
1. I understand that MN is very white. Does anyone have a feel for how children of color might be accepted in Duluth or its burbs?
2. How are the public schools? What districts are best, in your opinion?
3. How are folks up there? When we moved to WV, we were pleasantly surprised to find that (most) native West Virginians were friendly (if a little reserved) and VERY accepting of our two sons. There is a very strong sense of family and community here, which has been wonderful for raising kids.
4. My biggest fear is dealing with six months of winter. Hubby and I have lived all over the United States, from Maine to the deep South; I'm originally from the Boston area and hubby is from Harrisburg. Specifically, I'm wondering How do you deal with young housebound kids in the winter? Are there sports available throughout the year? (My 7 year old loves both indoor and outdoor soccer.)

And finally,
5. Can you grow tomatoes in Duluth???? Gardening is my therapy and I'm not sure I could live someplace where I couldn't grow tomatoes.

Thanks all!
1. They'll be accepted. They'll stand out, as Duluth is one of the whitest cities in the nation. However, that does not translate to racist.
2. Hermantown is often said to be the best district. Duluth itself now has two major public high schools (the working-class Denfeld and the "cake-eater"-reputation East) and multiple elementaries.
3. Generally family-oriented. Young adult singles here often complain that everybody here is either a high school / undergrad student or married and settled down with a family, and therefore they have nobody to relate to. I think you'll find a strong sense of community (Minnesota has one of the highest "social capital" ratings in the nation) as well as the famous "Minnesota nice".
4. Kids generally accustom themselves to the weather and play outside in the winter except on the coldest days. The sport of choice in the winter is hockey (both boy's and girl's!), though there are other sports available.
5. Yes, you can, however you might have to start them in the house before growing season is commenced. Note that the growing season is often FAR longer by the lake than even a few miles inland.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 AM

34 posts, read 74,655 times
Welcome! I grew up in Duluth, and while I live elsewhere now, all of my family still lives there and I return often.

1. Your kids will be accepted. The area is very white, but I grew up being friends with kids of all races. There might be the isolated person who makes a comment, but that is life. I'd recommend living right in Duluth, not in Hermantown or in other surrounding communities. I think you'd fit in in the Chester Park or East Duluth area specifically. The downtown and West Duluth areas are typically more working class areas, with cheaper housing. If you want land though, and not city living, I'd look in the Hermantown area where the schools are zoned for Hermantown.

2. Congdon is usually considered to be the best public elementary school in the city. But there are other good options, like Lowell Music Magnet, where kids get free music lessons at a young age, and can play piano, sing in the choir, or play instrumental music. Nettleton has the most diversity among kids.....it posts the lowest test scores, but I'm really not sure that matters, I think it is a very nice school, and they're moving out of downtown this year to a more residential area. The Duluth public schools have undergone huge changes over the years, as the city has a shrinking population of children. Schools have been consolidated again and again. But they are still good, and if I were to return there, I'd want my children in the city schools, not the suburban schools - there is more diversity and cultural sensitivity in my opinion. An immigrant community has popped up in Duluth over the years, which I think is an asset to the city and school district.
3. Most people are Minnesota nice I think....reserved, but friendly. Like anywhere, everyone is different.
4. Your fear of a Duluth winter is not unwarranted. If you're not used to it, it really can be brutal if I'm being totally honest. The kids will adjust...it may be much harder for you. Growing up, my brother & I played hockey all winter, went ice skating, went sledding, went skiing at Spirit Mountain, and just played outside. There was indoor basketball as well. Hockey really is king up there, but you will find other sports offerings as well. There is an indoor soccer league as well, called Stewart's Indoor Soccer League. Check this out: Duluth Amateur Soccer League. There are sports available throughout the year, for sure.
5. Yes, you can grow tomatoes (though you may need to put up a surrounding to keep the deer out depending on where you live!) I grew up with my dad growing tomatoes every year.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:09 PM

32 posts, read 94,144 times
Your kids would adjust very easily to Winter, and probably enjoy it very much. By the way, there are really only 5 months in which you can really expect warm weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth