Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 05:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,915 times

Advertisements

Well my wife and I are moving to Duluth Mn in a few months so she can finish school. How is the job market and pay scale in Duluth. What are the major employers and do they drug test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
What skillz do you have? That might help people make a suggestion. Major employers are more likely to do testing foschizzel.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,262 times
Major employers in Duluth are: 148 Air National Guard, Cirrus Design, UMD, CSS, Saint Mary's Duluth Clinic, St. Luke's Hospital, Minnesota Power, Maurices Corporate, Miners (Superone Foods) Inc., New Page Paper, and UnitedHealth Group. Major Employer in Duluth means anywhere from 400 EE's to over 1,000 EE's.

You also have smaller firms like Ikonics, 50 Below, Empower MX, Faster Solutions, ScanHealth, and Sisu Medical all between 50 EE's to 150 EE's.

Over in Superior, you have Enbridge Energy (Hiring now), Murphy Oil, Genesis Equipment, Amsoil Corporate, Jeff Foster Trucking, Charter Films, and UWS.

UnitedHealth Group does drug testing at hiring; I don't know about the others. Pay Scale is always about 10% lower than in in the Twin Cities and can range from starting mid twenties to high thirties based on what your experience is in their fields.

If you have zero experience then get ready for a shock, because employers will not hesitate to offer you $9 bucks an hour or less. I do not think any of the employers I listed would do that; as they are looking for skilled and experienced employees. Average wage is about $13-$14 bucks an hour in most fields. Some of the companies listed are union and would pay $18 an hour starting.

Last edited by newcastle; 01-29-2009 at 08:21 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 10:57 AM

394 posts, read 1,518,304 times
Ha i have a bachelors degree in duluth and i cant even get a call back for Gas Station Jobs. This city sucks, have fun and good luck living in the 1980s.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:25 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
It is very common when searching for a job in Duluth to discover it is all about who you know. It is not as easy as some people like to say it is to find a job in Duluth. Been there (lived there for 30+ years) and done that. It is a beautiful place to live but it's not necessarily as great for everyone as it is for some on here.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:27 AM

15 posts, read 69,772 times
Just got laid off a major employer you listed. I don't thing I can find another job in Duluth? Any thoughts?

Old 07-10-2009, 07:33 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babrent View Post
Just got laid off a major employer you listed. I don't thing I can find another job in Duluth? Any thoughts?
I'm really sorry to hear that. What field are you in?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:15 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
I'm really sorry to hear that. What field are you in?

I'm sorry to hear that too. It's just really tough right now for everyone. If you have a job, you probably are getting cut hours or getting laid off. I went from 40 and then cut to 32 to save payroll. My roomate worked for Cirrus before being let go. It's not just a Duluth thing, and I retract my earlier statement, as it was purely based on frustration. Nothing worse than putting 4 years of hard work and money into schooling to be told you arent even qualified for the most basic of jobs.

unemployment is about to reach 10%, which is absurd and downright rediculous, but let's all keep our heads up and keep hangin on, because things will get better.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:15 PM

16 posts, read 47,010 times
Yeah they are laying off everywhere. My dad has been laid off since Dec, a few job bites but it is so so right now depending on what field you are in. You have to plug along and someone will hire you. When I was looking for my first job it took forever and finally someone gave me a chance.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:35 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
I dont know why alot of talk of no jobs there are jobs to be had in between other jobs if one is willing to do them. There is day labor, cutting grass, helping build a neighbors deck, picking up cans, or making crafts and selling them like bird houses.

There is always something to be done. Get creative thats whats missing in alot of the mind sets nowadays.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth