Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:07 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
FYI the person who posted that was actually quoting/paraphrasing something a different person has said in the past. Just wanted to clear that up.

Well then, my apologies......someone talking bad about my state just sends my blood aboiling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:45 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Amen to that! Texas born and bred and loving it! There's a yahoo of an idiot on another thread talking bad about how Texas is(has to do with the BS town where the police have stopped motorists and taken their cash). Texas is the one state, that if worse came to worse, could survive on it's own.
Suppose if we did not tolerate crooked Boss Hogg and Sheriff Coltrane we would not have those problems? Folks are just telling the truth about some of the stuff that goes down.

And really sort of doubt the Stand on Its Own claims, too.

Major chunks of money here are Federal .gov -- Warfare-Welfare is pretty big here. Fort(s) Hood, Bliss, Sam Houston all are MAJOR money sources, and the various parts of the MIC (military industrial complex) are pretty big here, along with various Air Force bases. Take all that away (i.e., Texas standing alone) and we may be folding faster than Superman on Laundry Day.

None of that is any a take-down or slam of Texas. Texas has been good to me, very good, in fact, and I feel duty to return the same -- but somewhere along the line, if we do not keep the bs in line, bs slops into everything.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,501 times
Quote:
Well then, my apologies......someone talking bad about my state just sends my blood aboiling!
I was indeed making fun of someone. Sorry.. I should have wrote "Sarcasm" at the end of the post. I knew a few here would know who I was talking about.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Suppose if we did not tolerate crooked Boss Hogg and Sheriff Coltrane we would not have those problems? Folks are just telling the truth about some of the stuff that goes down.

And really sort of doubt the Stand on Its Own claims, too.

Major chunks of money here are Federal .gov -- Warfare-Welfare is pretty big here. Fort(s) Hood, Bliss, Sam Houston all are MAJOR money sources, and the various parts of the MIC (military industrial complex) are pretty big here, along with various Air Force bases. Take all that away (i.e., Texas standing alone) and we may be folding faster than Superman on Laundry Day.

None of that is any a take-down or slam of Texas. Texas has been good to me, very good, in fact, and I feel duty to return the same -- but somewhere along the line, if we do not keep the bs in line, bs slops into everything.

No, folks are not telling the truth about Texas or the south. Certain people like to make general statements about us and have never been here and go on what the NY Times or CNN has to say. It's like me saying I hate the North because of their liberal policies. That's a generalization that is simply not true. I know for one Vermont has some of the best gun rights laws in the land. I also know the best pizza I ever had came from New York.

It's when you get these whiny baby "I'm educated, so therefore I know" types that drive me batty. Some always like to put the South down and make fun of us, and I for one am not going to take it lying down. As far as breaking away from the union, no I am not for that, but was pointing out that in general, our Texas economy is much better and robust than most of the states out there. I also realize that yes, alot of our monies do come from Federal resources(I was stationed at JRB and have a brother who is at Ft. Hood).

Old 07-09-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
I was indeed making fun of someone. Sorry.. I should have wrote "Sarcasm" at the end of the post. I knew a few here would know who I was talking about.

My bad

Old 07-09-2010, 06:59 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
And apparently the solar energy will boom this decade in Texas, this state has more solar resources than other states.It's promising

Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
And apparently the solar energy will boom this decade in Texas, this state has more solar resources than other states.It's promising

Amen to that

Old 07-09-2010, 09:41 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
I know for one Vermont has some of the best gun rights laws in the land.
They also have universal healthcare and crazy-high taxes

Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 AM

400 posts, read 849,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I'll have you know those crazy high taxes pay for an archaic collapsing road network and solidly middle of the road school performance!

Old 07-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

I know, I'm glad I don't live there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics