Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:02 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
sorry, you are mistaken. Normal is $120,000/yr because that is what people are making. It's demand and supply... there aren't enough people with that skillset because some of these technologies have VERY steep learning curves.
I'm sure some people are making $120k/year, but that is in no sense the norm for someone with 5~10 years experience. Payscale has the salary range of this experience level at $72k~$96k.

PayScale - Sr. Software Engineer / Developer / Programmer Salary, Average Salaries by Years Experience (http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Sr._Software_Engineer_%2f_Developer_%2f_Progra mmer/Salary/by_Years_Experience - broken link)

I don't find any of the things that were mentioned to be particularly difficult to learn, pretty run of the mill Java development stuff. They are most likely just looking for someone to do basic stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 10:05 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
6 years of experience is not a "very experienced developer". $120k/year is on the high end even for a Senior developer.
It says 10 years experience total, and while I'd agree 120k is high for a developer salary for a 6 month contract position the hourly rate is usually higher than a comparable annual salary.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
$70k is a good salary in the United States. i don't see the problem here. are you suggesting that this skillset is particularly rare? i am no expert but it looks like Java, plus a bunch of java libraries, not something rare and unusual.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:25 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
$70k is a good salary in the United States. i don't see the problem here. are you suggesting that this skillset is particularly rare? i am no expert but it looks like Java, plus a bunch of java libraries, not something rare and unusual.
Again, it's not something you look at compared to a salaried employee of a company like a software developer working at Boeing making $70k. This is a six month contracting gig, it is paid hourly, and there are likely no benefits. The salary guy has vacation, sick time, health insurance, life insurance, and the (relative) security of being a full time employee.

And yes, that is a pretty wide skillset for that many specifics in that ad.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:16 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I'm sure some people are making $120k/year, but that is in no sense the norm for someone with 5~10 years experience. Payscale has the salary range of this experience level at $72k~$96k.
$120k/yr is for the Los Angeles metro area, salaries are highly dependent on location... in case you didn't notice the house that costs $200k in Texas costs $700k here so they can't expect to be paid the same otherwise nobody would live here!

Goto salary.com and plug in Los Angeles and job description Sr. Java Developer, then take base+bonus for 50th percentile, that is how I arrived at the figure. It's not some random number but what companies are actually paying people.

Apparently the free market thinks such skills are deserving of that salary...

Old 07-31-2010, 02:52 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
$120k/yr is for the Los Angeles metro area, salaries are highly dependent on location... in case you didn't notice the house that costs $200k in Texas costs $700k here so they can't expect to be paid the same otherwise nobody would live here!
Yeah, its too high for the Los Angeles area (which I'm in) as well. Companies don't pay wildly different salaries based on location, if a developer in Texas was much cheaper than California why would any business hire in California?

In case you did not notice the expensive houses in Los Angeles are not a reflection of higher wages, but rather state policies that have inflated housing costs. The median income in Los Angeles is around $37k where as it is $40k in Dallas. The lower real estate costs in Texas have nothing to do with lower wages.

Quote:
Goto salary.com and plug in Los Angeles and job description Sr. Java Developer, then take base+bonus for 50th percentile, that is how I arrived at the figure.
Most seniors developers in the LA area make less than $120k, including bonuses, etc is another figure. More than likely this company is labeling it a "senior position" when it really is not. Most senior developers aren't taking contract positions in the first place..

But its not surprising to see wages weaken in Los Angeles, there is little reason for a company to do development work in Los Angeles instead of other areas that are both cheaper and more business friendly.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:45 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
If this company is paying below market then they will not find the person they need and will, sooner or later be forced to up the offer. Whether salaries/rates in this area are "too high" or "too low" is neither here nor there. The market will determine what they should be based on supply and demand.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:26 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
precisely, the market determines these things.

here you go:

median is $110k, 75th percentile is $125k

and this is fulltime, contract rates are supposed to be a lot higher than this due to it's short term nature.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:56 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times
Quote:
precisely, the market determines these things.

here you go:

median is $110k, 75th percentile is $125k

and this is fulltime, contract rates are supposed to be a lot higher than this due to it's short term nature.
Are you going to apply for that Java job?

Old 07-31-2010, 01:08 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,899 times
They may be just looking to hire an H1B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics