Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,222,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Even with the better than factory pay I cannot afford a standalone house or a new car. Not without carrying more debt than I am comfortable with. I am not complaining but new products cost relatively much more than they did a couple decades ago. How are enough people, both blue and lower white collar, going to be able to afford mass produced products in the quantity requires to make a return on the investment in a mass production line?
I don't know if all new products are more expensive, but I see your point. Even if they're not as expensive as the past, wages for many, many, have been stagnant for decades. Unless this changes, there will be a tipping point where the average consumer (myself included-I'm as blue collar as they come) won't be able to afford much more than the basics for survival. Should be interesting watching the house of cards collapse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 07:50 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
Interesting: Factory jobs post surprising strength - Sep. 27, 2010

"As the labor market continues to struggle, one surprising bright spot stands out amid the list of battered industries -- factory jobs. Manufacturing employment began its decline long before the recession, losing jobs every year since 1998. But since the start of this year, there's been a 1.6% gain in manufacturing jobs -- about twice the pace of growth in other private sector jobs.

Even if manufacturing hiring stays flat the rest of this year, the industry is poised to post its biggest percentage gain in jobs since 1994."

This is certainly a surprise.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Unless this changes, there will be a tipping point where the average consumer (myself included-I'm as blue collar as they come) won't be able to afford much more than the basics for survival. Should be interesting watching the house of cards collapse.
But it won't collapse. You act like you're the only consumer on the Planet. There are 4 Billion people who would love to have 1/100th of what you have, so you are fast becoming irrelevant, just another Swede as we say.

Since you are unable to support yourself, you need the rest of the world to help you. Unfortunately, it will take about 150 years for the rest of the world to catch up so you just happen to be born at the wrong time.

A lot of the pain could have been avoided if the US government had taken a different foreign policy approach and helped countries to develop instead of standing on their backs and stealing their resources. Like they say, what goes around comes around.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Interesting: Factory jobs post surprising strength - Sep. 27, 2010

"As the labor market continues to struggle, one surprising bright spot stands out amid the list of battered industries -- factory jobs. Manufacturing employment began its decline long before the recession, losing jobs every year since 1998. But since the start of this year, there's been a 1.6% gain in manufacturing jobs -- about twice the pace of growth in other private sector jobs.

Even if manufacturing hiring stays flat the rest of this year, the industry is poised to post its biggest percentage gain in jobs since 1994."

This is certainly a surprise.

If this is true and continues to gain momentum, there is hope for the future. Some gain is better than continued loss. Thanks for posting.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
A lot of the pain could have been avoided if the US government had taken a different foreign policy approach and helped countries to develop instead of standing on their backs and stealing their resources. Like they say, what goes around comes around.
This is the by far the best point you've ever made. I would only have added: instead of stealing their resources and perpetrating wars on their people."

Not sure about your comment that the above poster "cannot support himself," however. He sounds like he is, even though he has a blue collar job. All the more power to blue collar workers.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,543,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

So there you have it, rising food and energy prices and falling housing prices... inflation and deflation at the same time..."

Tim McMahon, Editor - inflation.com
dunno that points to inflation as much as it points to housing being (vastly) surplus, and food and energy being in demand?

Back towards bidness -- Kinda would make thinking folks think they should be producing energy and food, no?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:27 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,222,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Since you are unable to support yourself, you need the rest of the world to help you. Unfortunately, it will take about 150 years for the rest of the world to catch up so you just happen to be born at the wrong time.
Try as I may, I can't for the life of me understand what you mean. Do you mean "you" as me personally or is it some kind of collective "you"? Either way, I don't get it.

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 09-28-2010 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics