Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I'm an engineer in the oil industry, 20 years experience. Union wages for guys in the refineries are close to $30/hour base rate. Many hit 100k when overtime and shift differentils kick in. A technical skill is a good way to make $$$. Learn how to be an electrician.
If you don't make over 30/hr after 5 yrs in that profession (or anything with the big boys) you doing it wrong. All of us are little ole operators and clean up for having minimal to zero college.

Dad and brother made over 100k in Houston as operators non union. I work at a pipeline here too but have only been doing it for 2 yrs but made close to 100k (600hrs OT) non union.

Only need a 1yr certificate at a community college to get a job as an Operator and pray you get picked cause there's thousands for 1 position. And the benefits are even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times
I'm a software engineer, and I make well into the six figures. I have 16 years work experience, plus quite a few years unpaid experience in graduate school (I have a PhD).

I'm not in the government, and I'm not in a union, by the way.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:32 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Had a friend of mine that used to make $275,000 a year selling commercial printing in Southern California. Actually knew a number of people making over six figures in the printing business, but with the advent of online print houses that industry has taken a big hit. Now you have to be in the right place at the right time. All of those Netflix envelopes are being sold by one guy, so you know he's raking it in.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:32 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,347,014 times
As an RN I can make 6 figures if I work 2 jobs. It's doable but tough on the body plus you have no life! Since moving to FLorida, 2008, that is not as true because they are tighter, want to pay nothing, and think they own you, like a slave, with still high cost of living.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:35 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
If you don't make over 30/hr after 5 yrs in that profession (or anything with the big boys) you doing it wrong. All of us are little ole operators and clean up for having minimal to zero college.

Dad and brother made over 100k in Houston as operators non union. I work at a pipeline here too but have only been doing it for 2 yrs but made close to 100k (600hrs OT) non union.

Only need a 1yr certificate at a community college to get a job as an Operator and pray you get picked cause there's thousands for 1 position. And the benefits are even better.

Agree, some plants require 2 years of college or a trade school certification to be considered. Not easy work but it pays well IF you can get in.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:38 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Sales is the highest paid profession on average.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:37 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Agree, some plants require 2 years of college or a trade school certification to be considered. Not easy work but it pays well IF you can get in.
Dow is one of them unless you have experience. I tried for 2 yrs to get on a few. I went through the Shell process. 5,000 applicants for 100 operator jobs. I would love to have done better in school to be an Engineer. They typically make 100/hr. But honestly I love shift work. I hope I can get on the DuPont schedule soon though. SWEEEEEEEEEEEET

Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 PM

111 posts, read 295,397 times
I know a high-wire electrician who clears 200k easily. When really bad disasters strike he travels around the country to them and works like 18 hr days at like 100/hr plus overtime pay, just raking in fat checks. Then he does home jobs on the side. I agree, a determined electrician can make a boat-load of money.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Sales hasn't been mentioned yet... I know many professional salespeople who easily clear 6 figures with a good commission structure.

Also, if you place a dollar value on all the perks (write-offs for new cars, gas mileage, meals, trips, sports tickets, golf, etc.) plus consider the lower required education/start-up investment than some other $100K+ fields (often only a Bachelors degree is required), a sales career can lead to a pretty good lifestyle.
I have to agree, I know a lot of good sales people who make big bucks. And quite a few who lost their jobs too. Sales does make it all happen though.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
For skilled trades, the power transmission field with LOTS of overtime (tough to get into as well, but a good 'gig'). Civilian jobs within federal agencies... they pay lots of double and triple time!
Truckdrivers / Heavy equip operators with federal agencies get $36.80 base rate (2000 hours) + 30% OT,(very common) = ~$150k gross AND you are still working less total hours than most salaried grunts. (plus you can leave your work at WORK, not drag it home)

Commissioned Sales is the most common highly paid position, and risky... but it works for many.

High skilled engineers in specialty sectors (nuclear, energy, space, weapons, IC's, R&D skunk works)

White collar, the 'stab-you-in-the-back' corporate ladder climbers (not for those with high personal 'values')

Tenured Profs...(those who are educating our next gen ) Please outsource USA EDU

or.... retired elementary teachers on a good pension. I saw a recent interview of a 50 yr old married couple from US who were collecting $200k+ living on a South Pacific island while collecting their pension. (for them... again more USA edu... )

or a Part time realtor (IF you are VERY good). (neighbor gal made over $200k last yr in a very bad yr). Well connected, lots of multi-million dollar listings, lots of sales.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-28-2011 at 12:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics