Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 04:51 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,820,345 times

Advertisements

Would like opinions (and facts!) on what is considered safer: paying a bill by mail, phone, or online (mainly concerned with credit cards). Identity theft / fraud is possible all 3 ways. Do the companies have any kind of security when it comes to leaving your bank account info on their automated phone system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 05:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
I prefer to pay in person, or with a money order by mail. I don't even write checks.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:16 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times
Online has the least amount of interaction with a human being.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Would like opinions (and facts!) on what is considered safer: paying a bill by mail, phone, or online (mainly concerned with credit cards). Identity theft / fraud is possible all 3 ways. Do the companies have any kind of security when it comes to leaving your bank account info on their automated phone system?
The only safe and secure method to pay your bills is via the U.S.Mail.

Once the post office has your mail it becomes a federal felony to tamper with, divert,steal, or otherwise remove a single piece of mail from the post offices care until it is delivered and the patron takes possession of that mail.ie...mail box to mail box.

Should a piece of mail get stolen there are Federal Postal Officers that will investigate and/or prosecute this tampering as a crime. Fraud that uses the mail is also a federal crime.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/i...MailTheft.aspx

No other method of paying bills is as secure except face to face.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:34 PM

Wait a sec, something being a federal crime makes it the only safe and secure method? Can we then assume that nobody cheats on taxes, robs banks, scams medicare or welfare, counterfeits money, or imports drugs? Postal is the only "safe and secure" method so nobody breaks open mailboxes?

I'm not so sure that putting a check into an envelope at the end of your driveway, then putting a flag up to indicate something is in there, having various postal workers handle it, then someone receiving it opening it up to type in your payment is the more secure.

I prefer paying online, as soon as you click you have an electronic record that you paid and there is way less chance of someone I don't know handling my personal information. That is where most crime happens imo, someone I don't know handling my personal information.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Fro what I have seen the mail is not only not safe for its employees but its alos not called snail mail for nothign. I prefer to pay by crdit card ober the telephone and then vaifying by internet. Never has a problems but there can be problem with anyhting. The only problem I have had is several loss or late payments by mial.Luckily the checks were never cashed and I stopped payment.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
Default U.S. Mail is the least secure method

I must disagree with Tightwad. In my reading about this, people who are supposed to know say that the U.S. Mail is the least secure method. This makes sense to me based on my own experience with mail which has gone astray. At least once a month I get stuff delivered to me by mistake. Once I walked next door after dark, rang the bell, and delivered the mis-directed mail. Now I am honest, but if I weren't, I could have opened that mail. Sure, they have postal inspectors, but if your check was not received and it wasn't certified or registered, how can the inspector possibly track it given the volume of mail that each carrier delivers each day?

I have used my bank's bill pay service for five or six years now without mishap. I no longer write very many checks at all. Many of the larger companies have "e-bills" whereby your payment is deposited electronically by the bank's bill pay service into the company's bank account, and you are properly credited. There is no paper check at all, and of course nothing goes through the U.S. Mail. This is the most secure way.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:15 PM

Exactly. Not only do I believe electronic payment has the least likely of mishap (again because less human factor) but if something is amiss you have a much better chance of an electronic trail to discover and correct or dispute.

I can swear up and down I put something in a mailbox but there really isn't much evidence as it traverses truck to truck to sorter to truck to plane to truck to sorter to truck to delivery to mailroom guy to receiving dept ... but as soon as I click pay it shows up on the screen as a payment.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:48 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,820,345 times
Thank you; my thinking is in line with slackjaw....I don't like how people can hold up an envelope and see a check in there. I can't figure how any postal crime (stealing mail) is ever solved. As far as online payments go, I know the websites are secure, but can't they still be hacked? I would love more input on paying by phone...is it better to talk to a person rather than the automated system? They want you to talk to the machine; do credit card companies have some type of security regarding their practices? I don't read the fine print. Obviously paying in person is not an option.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:52 AM

106,610 posts, read 108,757,383 times
think about the fact anyone today can duplicate a check... i can go on line and download a company logo... i can call a company and tell them i want to send payment and i can get the routing numbers. i can go on line to the company annual report and get the signatures of the officers and download them.... then i can print my own company checks from that company

nothing is any safer or a better way anymore.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics