Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Your grandparents and great-grandparents worked their butts off to make it your birthright. Unless they were as selfish as you are.

If you had been born in Bangladesh or Congo, instead of where you were, do you think you'd have had the same opportunity to get where you are now? Or are you slurping voraciously at the ample teat of your birthright at this very moment?
Currently i am living on-site, at a job working 84 hours a week so i can build wealth and be one of the evil people you wish to go to war with. What birthrights are you talking about? My parents had to work, and now i have to work, and anybody else who wants to prosper in this country has to work. 85% of the rich are first generation rich, including bill gates. Having money isnt a birthright, it is the result of your actions or inactions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 01:32 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,681 times
This article has it completely backwards. It isnt the rich vs the poor, its the people vs the government. This article is saying it is the GOP screwing the american people, the GOP isnt even in control. "GOP governors trying to tie the hands of the Unions." The majority of unions are government employees and all of the unions getting "tied up" by GOP governors are government employees. "All the GOP congressmen are pledging not to raise taxes" Darn...so i guess the government (democrats) cant take more of the people's money. Do people actually buy into this stupid crap. That article was like a bad joke.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:48 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Exactly! This is the only country where you can make it if you want. I couldn't have said it any better.
This is by no means the "only country" where you can "make if if you want". The US isn't even top in this regard....

Its odd how Americans think the US is the center of the universe, I guess it makes it easier to ignore all the changes (and improvements) being made else where.

Anyhow, in terms of the article, its silly. This is only a "new war" if one ignores American history, it is an on going "war" and its one that ebbs and flows. Right now the GOP is winning the propaganda war, they've gotten the very people that are hurt most by their policies to agree with them. Pretty brilliant really....

Old 03-23-2011, 02:00 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
New Civil War erupts, led by super rich, GOP - MarketWatch

Waren Buffet said , “there’s class warfare, all right,” “But it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

The article above outlines the class war being waged by the super rich which is now threatening every aspect of our lives.
The regular people of this country are loosing this war badly, and the only question is will they ever stand up and fight for their birthrights and the future of their children?
MODS please move this to political so I can choose to avoid insane partisan crap if I choose.

I'd wipe my butt with this article but I wouldn't want to improve it.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is the only country where you can make it if you want.
I am curious, is this genetic or it's indoctrination during education? :)

Old 03-23-2011, 02:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Currently i am living on-site, at a job working 84 hours a week so i can build wealth and be one of the evil people you wish to go to war with. What birthrights are you talking about? My parents had to work, and now i have to work, and anybody else who wants to prosper in this country has to work. 85% of the rich are first generation rich, including bill gates. Having money isnt a birthright, it is the result of your actions or inactions.
All true, but about 10 years outdated. Nice that you have a job that you can work hard at.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
I am curious, is this genetic or it's indoctrination during education?
It's the old line about America, true until about 10 yrs ago when the s*** hit the fan about what the politicians and banks have been doing all along. The chicken has come home to roost (is that the right saying? )

Old 03-23-2011, 04:25 PM

24 posts, read 53,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I think this last recession only increased the gap in wealth between the rich and the middle class.

The fact that the banks needed a bailout a couple years ago of billions of dollars and so easily paid it back AND once again make billion dollar profits only shows more of the fact how much money is flowing on Wall St. All within a couple years...seriously what other companies can go from losing billions to making billions all within a couple years?

And not a single person went to jail over it...just a few CEO's got scolded and they took their million dollar severance packages to leave.

Warren Buffet just said what everyone in the rich class already knows.
It took a while to get the attitude I have about money but I think it is a truism. You will have to want money, maybe tons of it, to succeed. I just don't think that money comes from loving what you doing necessarily. The converse of that, that you have to hate what you are doing to make money is not what I am saying either. They do not teach us in school to think in terms of making money, so that has to come from other sources.

It is all about attitude. Unfortunately my attitude is that I think many things are waiting there to kick you in the teeth if you want to create a better mousetrap. Learn and move on I guess. One post to this thread mentioned government holding back the lower classes. I think that may be right. I also think that government creates regulation to limit competition. The little guy has a much bigger upstart curve to tackle with entrenched regulations. The big guy businesses like having status quo and don't want competition taking away market share. Despite what you hear about business against regulation, I think that they want it to keep the dollars flowing their way and allow regulations to keep the wannabe blue chips at bay.

I guess I never really wanted money as much in my life as I do now. Still, my attitude is that it is just pieces of paper (dollar bills) and not much more other than you have created a better mouse trap to get those pieces of paper. I am trying to get to the point where what I love I want to turn into a means of making a living. I get plenty of reasons from family and friends of why I am prone to failure if I try to strike out and live my dreams of working for myself. How's that for reassurance that doing what you love guarantees the money will follow?

Drives me crazy some days that our society is about money, money, money. I give up sometimes and think that if you just have plenty of money that nothing can get to you except the normal ebbs and flows of life like relationships and health. But, you will have the materialistic things covered and not go hungry.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:35 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Can we postpone until late Fall?
Of course we can. Why do something today, if it can be put off until tomorrow?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:36 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Currently i am living on-site, at a job working 84 hours a week...
So, I'm thinking your pullin' down about $500K-$700K per year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics