Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
iMcDonald's would only hire more employees because they need to meet a higher demand for their products. Higher demand for their products speaks to people spending more money at McDonalds than they were before. People spending more money at McDonalds can also be an indicator that people are out and about shopping for other things more often, and while out, they happen to be stopping at McDonalds for lunch.
That wouldn't necessarily be correct.

For many "families" fast-food is faster and cheaper than buying food and preparing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
How come there were TWENTY school administrators in little Benton Harbor??
Because that's what happens when you marry Stupidity with Unions and Government.

Quote:
I did just read that they laid off every single public school teacher in Detroit!!
Financial martial law is now in effect throughout MI. Is this the sign of things to come elsewhere in the U.S.??
Let's face the Truth. The Truth is that the majority of voters are incompetent. Generally, when someone is incompetent, you file suit for guardianship ad litem, and as guardian you handle their affairs for them, since they are too incompetent to manage their own affairs.

That's effectively what the governor has done. The people of Benton Harbor have repeatedly proven themselves to be incompetent and so he has appointed a guardian ad litem to manage their affairs for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
"The only reason the McJobs are left is because they haven't been able to outsource those...and believe me, I'm sure they've tried. " yes they did try, in our one McDs they tried a test in which you placed your order yourself at a kiosk and fed your checkcard or cash into a little slot. They took it out after a year. Although most of the grocery stores now have the self serves. which I NEVER use btw... as they always seem to malfunction.

I would say the laidoff engineers are working at Radioshak and Bestbuy - yes I have met them there.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Anyway you look at it, its 50,000 new jobs, and that's good news.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:57 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
People are funny, you really think it is only McDonalds hiring and that is all the poor engineers who can't get jobs are applying?

Tech jobs boom like it's 1999 - USATODAY.com
Quote:
Tech workers like Mersy are coveted commodities as the high-tech industry undergoes its biggest hiring binge in more than a decade. Not since the dot-com bubble of the early 2000s has competition been so fierce.
Nearly 150,000 tech jobs are expected to be added this year, says Sophia Koropeckyj, an economist at Moody’s Analytics. In February, there were about 6.1 million tech jobs in the U.S., up 2.4% from a year ago.
I weep for the poor techies.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
People are funny, you really think it is only McDonalds hiring and that is all the poor engineers who can't get jobs are applying?

Tech jobs boom like it's 1999 - USATODAY.com

I weep for the poor techies.
How many of these jobs are being given to natural-born American citizens? Most tech jobs in the last decade have been filled by people with H1-B visas.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Are you saying that the CEOs, and the financial managers in businesses like software, etc.--and the legal professionals, healthcare professionals, teachers, academics etc. are going to lose their jobs....over what?
And then you answered your own question:

Quote:

How come there were TWENTY school administrators in little Benton Harbor??
Seems like an obvious overkill that needs adjustment.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
How many of these jobs are being given to natural-born American citizens?
The current H1B cap is 65k, and that covers jobs like architects, engineers, computer programmers, accountants, doctors, veterinarian, dentist, registered nurse, business managers, and college professors. (from wiki)

More stuff here, it certainly doesn't appear that foreigners are dominating the hiring in tech during the recovery:
from http://www.boston.com/jobs/news/arti...or_h1_b_visas/

Quote:
Most tech jobs in the last decade have been filled by people with H1-B visas.
This statement has the distinct smell of a fact made up on the fly. Got a link?

Let me guess... you tried for a career in tech but it didn't work out?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And then you answered your own question:
I think you missed my point. I was asking if you thought people in most professions were going to lose their jobs over any adverse economic situation either upon us or coming down the road. You clarified that by saying that your point was that the trend is for people who LOSE or LOST their jobs are unlikely to find another based on the level of job they had.

In my second question, I was asking why there were these many administrators in the first place in one tiny town. That would be a NATURAL cause for layoffs even in better times.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If I am a millionaire, and my next door neighbor is living paycheck to paycheck, I've got to be the stupidest mutherf#(%er on the planet to want to open up a joint bank account with him. How did we let these guys ever convince us to merge our great economy with dirt poor countries around the world? I will never understand it.
The U.S. does nothing without creating a superior advantage. The dirt poor countries we've chosen are the ones with the natural resources.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
And there's also plenty of people capable of doing tech and science jobs who HAVE degrees, but aren't because they can't find anything other than McDonalds or Wal-Mart. That is the reality of this McEconomy.
When I have a problem with my computer and need tech support, I have never been on the phone with anyone in the U.S. How do I know? I always make it a point to ask to whom I'm speaking and where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics