Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,305,684 times

Advertisements

New Civil War erupts, led by super rich, GOP - MarketWatch

Waren Buffet said , “there’s class warfare, all right,” “But it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

The article above outlines the class war being waged by the super rich which is now threatening every aspect of our lives.
The regular people of this country are loosing this war badly, and the only question is will they ever stand up and fight for their birthrights and the future of their children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 07:00 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,676,355 times
Sounds like the old civil war to me. From the beginning of time, it's always been the haves vs. the have nots.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,346,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The regular people of this country are loosing this war badly, and the only question is will they ever stand up and fight for their birthrights and the future of their children?
It's possible, but in my opinion, not likely. As a collective society, we are too fractured and too distracted to ever coalesce into an organized force united by a common goal. Seriously who has time for that when "Dancing Stars" and "Biggest Loser" is on, Kate Middleton is going to show us her wedding dress, and we need to protest the fact that a Minority owned textile business wasn't given the opportunity to make it? Oh yeah. Ajax Toyota has Prius' for zero down and BevMo has a two-for-one sale going on for Two Buck Chuck. We know that Warren Buffet and his buddies are pilfering the country to the core, but dammit, we have to do something about plastic bags and cigarette butts. Oh yeah. Japan is in ruins and the entire Middle East is about to blow up. But I have to get the latest I-thingy so I can see all the latest articles about the most important story of the day: Elizabeth Taylor died.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,819,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
New Civil War erupts, led by super rich, GOP - MarketWatch

Waren Buffet said , “there’s class warfare, all right,” “But it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

The article above outlines the class war being waged by the super rich which is now threatening every aspect of our lives.
Ugh... more of this us vs. them stuff.

Despite its flaws, I can't think of another country where a person willing to work and take a few risks has as much opportunity to get ahead as there is in the US.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,214,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Ugh... more of this us vs. them stuff.

Despite its flaws, I can't think of another country where a person willing to work and take a few risks has as much opportunity to get ahead as there is in the US.
Exactly! This is the only country where you can make it if you want. I couldn't have said it any better.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:40 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,969,174 times
I think this last recession only increased the gap in wealth between the rich and the middle class.

The fact that the banks needed a bailout a couple years ago of billions of dollars and so easily paid it back AND once again make billion dollar profits only shows more of the fact how much money is flowing on Wall St. All within a couple years...seriously what other companies can go from losing billions to making billions all within a couple years?

And not a single person went to jail over it...just a few CEO's got scolded and they took their million dollar severance packages to leave.

Warren Buffet just said what everyone in the rich class already knows.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:04 AM

764 posts, read 1,559,834 times
I'm so sick of hearing about the poor and helpless, I have buddies who cant keep a part time job and live off their parents, are these the have nots who are suppose to go to war against the rich? I also have a cousin-in-law who just came from india, he was working three part time jobs to get ahead and just got a full time job not to long ago. But he kept one of the part time jobs so he is still working 60 hours a week. He is busting his @ss working minimum wage jobs so he can get off on the right foot, putting his wife through college. I dont see his family being have nots for very long. The problem with this country is in the opening first post of this thread, "BIRTHRIGHT". Who ever said it was a birthright? Get off your @ss and earn if you want it...or dont, i dont care, but stop b-tching about it.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:47 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,222,737 times
I'm not rich so I guess I'm supposed to go to war too.

I don't know though, leaving my comfy patio this time of year when the weather is perfect and cold beer is in the fridge seems like a stretch, plus I'm really looking forward to the Davs/Nogiera fight on Saturday night.

Can we postpone until late Fall?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,176,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Who ever said it was a birthright? Get off your @ss and earn if you want it...or dont, i dont care, but stop b-tching about it.
Your grandparents and great-grandparents worked their butts off to make it your birthright. Unless they were as selfish as you are.

If you had been born in Bangladesh or Congo, instead of where you were, do you think you'd have had the same opportunity to get where you are now? Or are you slurping voraciously at the ample teat of your birthright at this very moment?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,962,967 times
I am skeptical of these stories of people from Korea or India coming here and making a million dollars - usually in the ghetto where they open up a liquor or convenience store. Everybody conveniently forgets that LEGAL immigrants are carefully screened before they ever get permission to come here. Often they have sponsors who are able to help them out. And its not Sarath the farmer who is illiterate and tries to make a living for his family on 1/8 of an acre who gets to immigrate. It's Gunesena who comes from a middle class family, probably already speaks some English and has a skilled trade or education who is admitted to the US. Gunesena benefits from his "birthright" as much as anyone else.

And to compare shiftless teenagers whose parents enable them to do nothing but play video games and smoke pot to hard working Americans who have been hit hard by the current recession is disengeneous at best. The States are cutting funding for education and health services for children from low income families. Our "birthright" is being slowly eroded away, and the American people's response is to parrot that tired old line about the "land of opportunity." I hate to tell you this guys, but tiny Switzerland has a better standard of living than the US does, and so do many other countries. Our infant mortality rates should be a source of national embarassment - we rank something like 145 out of all other nations (I forget the exact ranking, but I'm sure someone will correct me - its very low, however).

But there will never be a "war" of rich against poor. Congress has been paid off by international business conglomerates like Halliburton and other wealthy entities. The average American has been forgotten in Congress's rush to rake in the money, put it in offshore accounts, and end up with an obscene amount of wealth collected while in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics