Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,695,144 times

Advertisements

In a grand game of global chicken America is using everybody else's oil up first thus saving America's oil for when we have the only game in town.........

Montana’s Vast Untapped

Gull Island Oil

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.07/oil.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 10:54 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
i have heard before that we are holding onto our oil figuring when it runs out, we will be the last ones to still have it. i dont buy it. it would take too much consensus between politicial parties from subsequent administrations, i find it hard to believe they could get that plus keep it quiet.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:08 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,695,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have heard before that we are holding onto our oil figuring when it runs out, we will be the last ones to still have it. i dont buy it. it would take too much consensus between politicial parties from subsequent administrations, i find it hard to believe they could get that plus keep it quiet.
You are assuming that the "political" parties are in control of these reserves. They are not..........

Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,555,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In a grand game of global chicken America is using everybody else's oil up first thus saving America's oil for when we have the only game in town.........
Sorry TW. That is wall-to-wall bullsheet.

America does have PLENTY of that.

Going down your list . . . .

Montana’s Vast Untapped

Sorry, the USGS knows it business. Those numbers are the truth. The bogus claims are off by a factor of 100X.

This "story" is hype to sell land, equipment, leases, investments, etc. Gonna Be Big! Big! I tells ya!

----------------------

Gull Island Oil

HUH? Secret folks sworn to secrets. Yeah. ok.

------------------------------

Wired 12.07: The Trillion-Barrel Tar Pit[/quote]

Canada -- that is the "Canadian" part of Canadian Tar Sands -- is not US.

And by the time it were done, if it were done, a major section of Alberta will be a toxic wasteland.

Time for US to grow up and get off Oil.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
Quote:
You are assuming that the "political" parties are in control of these reserves. They are not..........
i should have known better than to make a serious response to a post by you.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:51 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,361,440 times
It's not so much that we're keeping our oil for later.

It's the fact that it is cheaper to import oil. Not all petrol is created equal. Some grades of petrol require more intensive refining than others. The oil under North America tends to be of the heavier variety and deeper down.

It's mostly about profitability. The oil giants are more profitable importing oil than drilling more domestic wells.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,169,659 times
Didn't anyone in the US learn anything in school? Our economics classes are failing us.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:24 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,631,731 times
Quote:

Montana’s Vast Untapped

Gull Island Oil

Wired 12.07: The Trillion-Barrel Tar Pit
The sad thing is even if this is true, the companies that own the reserves here in the US have no patriotism- can we expect if all the rest of the world's oil runs out that they will just start pumping out those reserves and selling them here within the US? No way- they will sell them out on the world oil market to the highest bidder, no matter who it is. Corporations are all about profits- they don't care if the US bleeds dry and dies. So that's why it never really matters how much oil is made here domestically- all that matters is how much oil from all around the world is available, in hopes of making sure there is more available than the world's demand.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:58 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,737,405 times
I hope there is a smidgen of truth to the claims of vast reserves. And I hope we are saving ours for when we need them. But, the Bakken reserves will require a massive investment to recover, including huge amounts of energy and water for the frakking process. And there are serious environmental questions. Every 6 months there is another story on the "Bakken's vast untapped reserves" and yet, despite a massive profit motive, very little traction. No shortage of conspiracy theories and political rhetoric though. Too bad we can run our cars on that!

Canadian tar sands have similar challenges.

Oil sands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That Gull Island thing, well...anything is possible, I suppose.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,150,330 times
It is all relative;

Enough oil,
Affordable oil

Unfortunately history has an uncanny way of repeating itself.
Seems our (USA) 250 yrs is about up....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics