Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:29 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
1. Economics is a science
2. You completely lost my respect when you claimed Nobel prizes don't mean anything
3. You need to educate yourself a bit more. Mathematics explains the economy better than huffington post blogs.
4. Pick up a calculus textbook, then pick up some economics textbooks, read them and then we can have a real discussion.

Until then, keep convincing yourself that you know better than the top academics around the world because you read a few blogs. unbelievable....
Economics is not a natural science. It's as much a science as Sociology is.
It was never meant to be. Early economic thinkers were philosophers. Not scientists.

Academic economists just talk to themselves nowadays. Most of these wonks couldn't turn a profit running a brothel.

Don't listen to me. :Listen to this guy. He had a chair at Oxford and the LSOE.

[LEFT]Please respect FT.com's ts&cs and copyright policy which allow you to: share links; copy content for personal use; & redistribute limited extracts. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights or use this link to reference the article - FT.com / Columnists / John Kay - Economics may be dismal, but it is not a science

[/LEFT]
Economics may be dismal, but it is not a science

By John Kay
Published: April 13 2010 22:28 | Last updated: April 13 2010 22:28

A remarkably distinguished group of economists gathered last weekend for the inaugural conference of the Institute for New Economic Thinking, an initiative of George Soros. They were soul searching over the failures of economics in the recent crisis. Such failures are most evident in two areas: the inadequacies of the efficient market hypothesis, the bedrock of modern financial economics, and the irrelevance of recent macroeconomic theory.
The central idea of the efficient market hypothesis is that prices represent the best estimate of the underlying value of assets. This thesis has recently taken a battering. The boom and bust in the money markets was precipitated by a US housing bubble. That bubble followed the New Economy fiasco and was preceded by the near-failure of Long Term Capital Management, a hedge fund designed to showcase sophisticated financial economics.

The macroeconomics taught in advanced economics today is largely based on analysis labelled dynamic stochastic general equilibrium. The unappealing title gives the game away: the theorists are mostly talking to themselves. Their theories proved virtually useless in anticipating the crisis, analysing its development and recommending measures to deal with it.
Recent economic policy debates have not only largely ignored DSGE, but have also been remarkably similar to the economic policy debates of the 1930s, although they have been resolved differently. The economists quoted most often are John Maynard Keynes and Hyman Minsky, both of whom are dead.
Both the efficient market hypothesis and DSGE are associated with the idea of rational expectations – which might be described as the idea that households and companies make economic decisions as if they had available to them all the information about the world that might be available. If you wonder why such an implausible notion has won wide acceptance, part of the explanation lies in its conservative implications. Under rational expectations, not only do firms and households know already as much as policymakers, but they also anticipate what the government itself will do, so the best thing government can do is to remain predictable. Most economic policy is futile.
So is most interference in free markets. There is no room for the notion that people bought subprime mortgages or securitised products based on them because they knew less than the people who sold them. When the men and women of Goldman Sachs perform “God’s work”, the profits they make come not from information advantages, but from the value of their services. The economic role of government is to keep markets working.
These theories have appeal beyond the ranks of the rich and conservative for a deeper reason. If there were a simple, single, universal theory of economic behaviour, then the suite of arguments comprising rational expectations, efficient markets and DSEG would be that theory. Any other way of describing the world would have to recognise that what people do depends on their fallible beliefs and perceptions, would have to acknowledge uncertainty, and would accommodate the dependence of actions on changing social and cultural norms. Models could not then be universal: they would have to be specific to contexts.
The standard approach has the appearance of science in its ability to generate clear predictions from a small number of axioms. But only the appearance, since these predictions are mostly false. The environment actually faced by investors and economic policymakers is one in which actions do depend on beliefs and perceptions, must deal with uncertainty and are the product of a social context. There is no universal economic theory, and new economic thinking must necessarily be eclectic. That insight is Keynes’s greatest legacy.
__________________________________________________ ________
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Economics is not a natural science. It's as much a science as Sociology is.
It was never meant to be. Early economic thinkers were philosophers. Not scientists.

Academic economists just talk to themselves nowadays. Most of these wonks couldn't turn a profit running a brothel.

Don't listen to me. :Listen to this guy. He had a chair at Oxford and the LSOE.
1. We are a little more sophisticated than early economic thinkers (at least I hope so). Early thinkers also thought the world was flat, didn't they?

I am sorry, are you actually quoting a Keynesian Economist in a practical, real-world debate?

Keynesian economics has been commonly debunked in real world applications decades ago. Again - do some more research so we can have a real conversation.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
1. We are a little more sophisticated than early economic thinkers (at least I hope so). Early thinkers also thought the world was flat, didn't they?
If you consider the Catholic Church "thinkers". I tend not to consider them as such in this case.

Quote:
I am sorry, are you actually quoting a Keynesian Economist in a practical, real-world debate?

Keynesian economics has been commonly debunked in real world applications decades ago. Again - do some more research so we can have a real conversation.
I myself subscribe more to the Austrian camp but that doesn't mean it's teachings are any more a science.

Economics is not a science. Point blank. If someone tells you it is, they are lying. There are too many unforeseen variables in human intractions/ actions/ thoughts/ circumstances for economics to ever be a science.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
If you consider the Catholic Church "thinkers". I tend not to consider them as such in this case.

I myself subscribe more to the Austrian camp but that doesn't mean it's teachings are any more a science.

Economics is not a science. Point blank. If someone tells you it is, they are lying. There are too many unforeseen variables in human intractions/ actions/ thoughts/ circumstances for economics to ever be a science.
Those who claim economics is not a science are typically those who have not put in the effort to learn the mathematics behind the field. Let me ask you - how are you at math?

Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 AM

764 posts, read 1,557,681 times
Only 5% of americans make minimum wage. 95% of us make more then that. So if they got rid of it then what??? 5% of us might make less. But more could afford to be hired at the same time. Doesnt seem all that important of a topic to me and doesnt seem so dire as to say the whole country will fail if we eliminate minimum wage.

I aggree with the graph that minimum wage increases unemployeement. And if it went higher so would unemployeement. Most of these would be high school kids but they already have the highest unemployeement of any age at some 25% or something around that. Minimum wage laws only hurt high school kids who need a way into the job market so they can start to grow up a little.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Those who claim economics is not a science are typically those who have not put in the effort to learn the mathematics behind the field. Let me ask you - how are you at math?

I'm actually pretty decent. Having a photographic memory helped a ton. I don't know why exactly but it did.

The econometric based portion of Econ is very misleading. I don't know how to explain it clearly but if you take pre selected variables you can create any outcome that you wish. However, human interactions have virtually infinite amounts of permutations that cannot be explained by the scientific methodology.

How do you account for irrationality, politics, "national" interests, theft, corruption, etc. You can't. The permutations are endless.

Econ is not a science. It will never be.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
You go Michele, get rid of the minimum wage, child labor laws, workmens compensation, medicare and medicaid. The former middle class can live in cardbboard boxes and work in the fields with their children while you collect your farm subsidies. Then we can compete with Somalia

Old 06-29-2011, 01:35 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You go Michele, get rid of the minimum wage, child labor laws, workmens compensation, medicare and medicaid. The former middle class can live in cardbboard boxes and work in the fields with their children while you collect your farm subsidies. Then we can compete with Somalia
This thread is about minimum wage. Do middle class people live off minimum wage?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I'm actually pretty decent. Having a photographic memory helped a ton. I don't know why exactly but it did.
If I could pat you on the head and say 'sure you do' I would.

There have been no scientifically substantiated claims of Eidetic memory to date. Suddenly not only are you smarter than Nobel prize winners, but you are the very first person to ACTUALLY have an Eidetic memory!

You are one amazing person.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Even if we did eliminate the minimum wage this very moment it would make a marginal difference for most people.
It would make zero difference for most people, but it would make a huge difference for some people, who lack the political or economic power to overcome their disadvantage.

Did you ever wonder why the USA and almost every other country in the world established a minimum wage in the first place? Because the market doesn't correct itself, it shifts the advantage to the rich. It always did, and it always will, and that's why the rich love the free market, and that is why grinding poverty existed in every country in the world before they protected the defenseless with common sense laws. Which you and Bachman want to repeal, and bring back a large class of people living in grinding poverty because it "would make a marginal difference" for intelligent, well educated people like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics