Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
If there is any sort of recovery going on, it is because of taking on more debt, as in 5 trillion dollars in just over 3 years. The overall fundamentals are terrible, and when the recession going on in Europe gets worse, it will come to our shores.
This is the main thing....the debt time bomb is ticking and can go off at any time, as has already happened in Greece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
We will certainyl see i the coming months when Bush tax cuts are due agian to expire;the tax hol;loiday do to expire and unemployemnt extention due to expoire. then we have the defcit deal in automatic cuts comig also with anoither speninding limit needed.We are like a perosn who spoent on the crdit card and never gotten the bill yet.The bill willhurt for this one 'sooner or later. that is why so mnay are on the sidelibnes;they know a huge bill si coming that will reach from wall strreet down to main street effectig people who have never felt this recession except paying the bill for the spending coming.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
We will certainly see in the coming months when the Bush tax cuts are due again to expire, the tax holiday due to expire, and unemployment extension due to expire. Then we have the deficit deal in automatic cuts coming also with another spending limit needed. We are like a person who spent on the credit card and have never gotten the bill yet. The bill will hurt for this one sooner or later. That is why so many are on the sidelines, as they know a huge bill is coming that will reach from wall street down to main street effecting people who have never felt this recession, except paying the bill for the spending coming.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is the main thing....the debt time bomb is ticking and can go off at any time, as has already happened in Greece.
Don't tell that to the pollyanna's. They will never get it.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Don't tell that to the pollyanna's. They will never get it.
The "pollyana" thing is so overused in here. It seems to get thrown around by those who are constantly negative on everything to the point of irrationality, so they incorrectly assume that others who have more even views on things are equally irrational in an optimistic direction. To them pollyana = doesn't believe we're collapsing into a third world nation next year.

I believe most who have stated we are in a slow recovery recognize the problems with the economy, dangers of sliding back, and challenges it faces in the future. This is quite different than the moron who just blindly predicts an economic collapse every year regardless of economic conditions.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
The "pollyana" thing is so overused in here. It seems to get thrown around by those who are constantly negative on everything to the point of irrationality, so they incorrectly assume that others who have more even views on things are equally irrational in an optimistic direction. To them pollyana = doesn't believe we're collapsing into a third world nation next year.

I believe most who have stated we are in a slow recovery recognize the problems with the economy, dangers of sliding back, and challenges it faces in the future. This is quite different than the moron who just blindly predicts an economic collapse every year regardless of economic conditions.
You hit the nail on the head!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Sorry, but anyone who thinks we are in a slow recovery when our debt is increasing exponentially is a pollyanna. If our GDP starts to skyrocket and we stop having a deficit, or even just have a small one, I will publicly admit that we have a recovery.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
Quote:
It is almost always the Obama supporters who think the economy is getting better, and that is a well known fact.
Step away from the politics for a moment please...

First off...to frame everyone as being either a Obama supporter or anti Obama supporter, is wrong, not correct, false assumption...

Successful business people, could care the less if Donald Duck was in office, and continue to prosper under any administration...

Talk radio, and the whole media, tend to paint a slanted view of the world and country...

In America, it's always Rep vs Dem...in the talk radio world, that's how everything is framed...and I find that very stupid, untrue, and false...

The vast majority of people, humans, are still 'independent' thinking folks...and come to their conclusions independent of who's in office...

It's just called being 'smart'...

I'm not tied to either party, and could give a dm what they do...I'm tied to myself, and my own success...period...all that other stuff is just for entertainment purposes...and successful people realize that...period...

My own personal economy, is doing just fine now...and improving by they day....

If you have a sound plan, and make smart decisions...it really doesn't matter who's in office...you'll continue to prosper...

People love to scape goat, whatever administrations in office, when they loose their job or business fails...

If Rep or in the Whitehouse, they're blamed, if Dem are in the Whitehouse, they're blamed...

But for those of us with a solid plan to get ahead in life...all that matters very little...if at all...

Don't tell that to Rush L though...

Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
I will agree the economy is getting much better, especially considering we now have a budget surplus again (sarcasm).

P.S. Thread fail....Although you say non-partisan, I will say with at least 99% certainty you voted for Obama, and still support him and buy into his B.S, otherwise you would not have made this thread. I can spot people like you a mile away, and I am hardly ever wrong. :taps.
I am sure that you are right.

Yes, what we really need are to put right wing clowns and tea party nuts in charge of this country. The obvious solution to our problem is simply to cut government spending by 50%. Never mind all the jobs that will eliminate both in and out of government. Never mind the fact that it will drive down wages as the unemployed desperately look for any kind of opening at all in the private sector. I suspect every dish washing job and every fry cook job in McDonald's will have at least 100 applicants if we go that route.

Of course, to secure these large cuts in government spending we'll have to pretty much end unemployment benefits. So, when you are out of work better practice "dumpster diving". Its the only way you'll be likely to get a meal. Since Social Security, Medicare, and Defense make up two-thirds of the federal budget, we'll have to cut all of those deeply. So, if your old and need medical care don't be surprised to find the hospital emergency room door locked. Mitt Romney won't care though. His personal fortune of $250 million will get him and his family everything they need.

What irritates me the most about your post is that you can't make any distinctions. The current economic situation this country is in is no bed of roses. However, when Obama took office the country was losing about 500,000 jobs a month. GDP had declined by 5%. The whole auto industry stood on the verge of bankruptcy. Posts like yours fail to acknowledge the improvements that have occurred. We've been averaging a gain of 200,000 jobs per month now for the last six months. The deficit is high, but that is always the case when there is a recession. It doesn't matter which political party is in charge. GDP growth is weak, but is still averaging 2% to 3% per year right now.

In other words, what we have today is not a country tottering on the edge of a cliff. What we have is a country making a painfully slow--but steady--economic recovery.

People with a brain think in greater terms than "let's blame Obama" (or any President for that matter). Instead, they think in terms of what policies could make things better than they are? Some targeted tax cuts might help. Some deregulation in some areas might help.

I'm always willing to hear ideas for making this economy better. However, they better be more logical than "get rid of this President, or elect this other guy President".

Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Why not get rid of a administration by its own words is anti-business;anti-oil ;anti-wall street and get one that isn't busy creating regulation to slow them creating jobs while at the same time picking winners and losers like his solar wasted investments of taxpayer monies. Certainly we don;t need policies that creat a 800 billio dollar deficit building fund that fails in its primary objectives in infrastructure and jobs.One only has to see that the only thing griving these gains is companies adjusting to make profits under the regualtions this adminstratio has created ;otherwise we would have no gians in GDP and still the weakest at this time of any recession, We have inflation at 2% roughly and GDP gains of 2% roughly.We have a growing deficit that has not been addresssed ;yet Obama see raisng taxes and more spending on unsustaqinable programs as the answwer. Obama is doing for this country what greek politicans did for greece ;really.He has passed his bills in recovery and we see its results.His plan is the same one he has porposed since he got in office;more taxes on the rich as usual and making the people who creat jobs and creat the GDP the enemies of the state.One only has to look at the states who are pro business verus those that are anti-business to see what creats jobs even with Obama blocking many federally thru regualtion and policy.I nwoud say that when the states take over the increases in mediciad funding in 2017 that people will see enough tax increases in their states by that alone.If this is the path voters see has sustainable then they should vote Obama back in;otherwsie try somethig that is pro rather than anti growth.

Last edited by texdav; 05-04-2012 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics