Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of today's rate cut?
It was a great move! 16 45.71%
The Fed should have lowered the rate only 1/4 point. 1 2.86%
The Fed should have kept rates the same. 13 37.14%
The Fed should have raised rates. 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 02:12 PM

523 posts, read 2,906,436 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious on everyone's views on today's rate cut. Do you think it was a good or bad move for the economy? I personally think it will help a little with consumer confidence in the short-term and maybe home sales a tiny bit (that's a big maybe) but is not doing us any good in the mid- to long-term with inflationary pressures. I'm especially concerned about the weakness of the dollar. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 02:18 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,903 times
Default Of one mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
I'm just curious on everyone's views on today's rate cut. Do you think it was a good or bad move for the economy? I personally think it will help a little with consumer confidence in the short-term and maybe home sales a tiny bit (that's a big maybe) but is not doing us any good in the mid- to long-term with inflationary pressures. I'm especially concerned about the weakness of the dollar. What do you think?
You pretty much got the same opinion as I do. And honestly the interest rate cut is not going to help save the housing market. Tighter lending standards will see to that. And I also don't think the average Joe in foreclosure will not be saved either. So it a win only for the Banks and Large Lending Corporations today.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:09 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,583 times
I hope it stimulates more home buying in future. I want to put my hoouse on the market. Anyway, I sure did like the markets reaction. LOL

Old 09-18-2007, 03:14 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
The Feds balancing act says that a recession is more probable than significant inflation, so they reduced interest rates. A good decision, as are practically all Fed moves, in my view.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:52 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,394,730 times
I agree with the consensus. I think it was purely strategic, to build consumer confidence and convince banks that the Fed has their back. It shouldn't affect mortgage rates all that much, but it's probably bought the economy a little more time to find its footing. But look out below! The dollar's coming right down at ya!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:59 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Just bs. All that the Fed really does is pump bs. But as long as the masses truly believe it can all continue.

In practice the interest rates matter far less than to whom and how much money is available -- totally independent of rates. They dumped billions into defunct banks as a bailout -- that made a difference to their buddies in those banks, but did not shift the inflated interest charges to the folks being hammered with ARMs they cannot refinance. No money available for you little peons -- now go be homeless while millions of houses sit vacant.

The interest rate only indicates what relative rate of inflation is going to continue -- sort of a money tax to all the poor chumps who are obliged to honor the Fed's printed dollars.

Their "management" sort of remind of telling my cat what to do. I watch him and tell him -- Sit down. Stand up. Scratch your fleas. All at the time he is doing it. Cat does what he wants, but I can pretend he is following my lead.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 PM

897 posts, read 2,458,267 times
Two words I recommend looking up: liquidity trap

Old 09-19-2007, 06:19 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,903 times
Default Short term

Rate cut may provide only passing relief - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 09-19-2007, 09:43 AM

897 posts, read 2,458,267 times
Congress Asked to Lift Debt Ceiling: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (broken link)

Old 09-19-2007, 11:50 AM

105 posts, read 496,507 times
I would have loved to see the Fed raise the rate but knew it wouldn't happen. Failing that, I was hoping they would leave it the same. From a personal standpoint, a lowered rate is bad for myself and DH because we have about 75% of our investments in high yield savings accounts (right now we need liquidity because we are going to be relocating within the next 12 months and will be paying cash for whatever house we buy). The lowered rate will result in our savings accounts and any new CDs earning a lower rate as well. Hopefully the Fed won't make rate cuts a habit again.

I understand how the cuts will help those who have or will have to borrow money (we don't, and won't) but for people who rely in interest income the lowered rate is not a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics