Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:09 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Why do so many insist all these people are 'hiding' money.
You have to deposit your funds somewhere and there are options other than US banks.
The issues are (mostly) in where/how the money is earned and whether that was taxed correctly.
The implication (and very likely true in most instances) is that the funds deposited are NOT taxed.
Quote:
Taxes are assessed on income and property in this country but not (yet) on wealth.
I see no reason do denigrate those that diversify where they bank.
That isn't the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:32 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The issues are (mostly) in where/how the money is earned and whether that was taxed correctly.
The implication (and very likely true in most instances) is that the funds deposited are NOT taxed.
Total unfounded speculation.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:43 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Total unfounded speculation.
Of course it is! That's what makes it fodder for forums and newsies.
But just because it's speculated upon doesn't make it not true.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:46 PM

308 posts, read 897,006 times
I think instead of whining, Americans need to figure out how to create incentives for rich people from all around the world to invest in the US economy vs Swiss or Cayman islands. we need to attract wealth, not to scare it away.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Hey, if someone was after your hard earned money and was constantly trying to figure out ways to steal (tax) it, you'd hide it too.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:55 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Hey, if someone was after your hard earned money and was constantly trying to figure out ways to steal (tax) it, you'd hide it too.

Yeah, thats 21 trillion of HARD EARNED money. . . .

Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
How money is laundered...

Old 07-23-2012, 06:47 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,924 times
Quote:
Why do so many insist all these people are 'hiding' money. You have to deposit your funds somewhere and there are options other than US banks. US banks and the US government are not always great about respecting the rights of depositors.

I had a Swiss bank account back in the seventies because I wanted to own gold and our government decided that citizens were not allowed to do that. I found the Swiss account worked well and would do it again.

Taxes are assessed on income and property in this country but not (yet) on wealth. I see no reason do denigrate those that diversify where they bank.
So in order to get around your countries laws you went somewhere else... i think you answered your own question.

Not very patriotic.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Of course they are. When you have legions of half-wits who want the redistribution of wealth through taxation, who wouldn't? Forget that higher tax rates inhibit investment. Forget that higher tax rates actually yield lower tax collections. Nope. People want to punish people who have more money.

Otherwise, all that capital would be invested in factories and all kinds of other constructive activities.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
So in order to get around your countries laws you went somewhere else... i think you answered your own question.

Not very patriotic.
That's ridiculous! Not very patriotic??? Patriotism is defined as a love of ones COUNTRY, not a love of one's government. In fact, the patriots who founded America had a tremendous love for country, and a very healthy fear of government, and that's the way it should be. In 1773, not to far up the road from where I live, a group of citizens dumped tea in Boston Harbor in protest over high taxes. Where they unpatriotic? I don't think so. Patriotism is about love for your country, not love for your government and certainly not love for paying taxes. Don't EVER confuse the two.

Quote:

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious."

-Thomas Jefferson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics